• Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

humans are very stupid and (myself included) unable to grasp this very simple concept, no matter what

past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance

while it's a decent guide, everything should be looked at on its own merits and not in comparison to what some Noble did in 1547
Do you happen to sell Superannuation?

Can’t see us going for Merrett or Josh Kelly even if they were available and to be honest can’t see why they would be interested in us.

no point us spending 2 million a year on two players while we have a stack of holes to plug and at the bottom of the pile.

We have some huge decisions to make on some of our own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting you know this of him too. I was going to comment something similar. Johnson is off their list isn't he? Thought he moved back to WA. Port have warned their players to stay away from him. Good mates with SPP. All that needs to be said.

I'd stay away from Ladhams, too much baggage for too little output.

Yep Aidyn got the boot but was over with Ladhams and Pep... when Pep suddenly felt unwell & needed time away to go home.
If we want to infect the HFC youngsters with a genuine germ... yeah go get ladhams. Apart from his off field there are onfield reasons he doesn’t get a game and almost certainly will be overlooked for Hayes. Pete is lazy, picks and chooses, undisciplined.
Hayes is locked away and untouchable.

It's funny I get hammered on here for saying we'll be about 4 years from making the 8, yet our own president has come out and said mimimum 2 which probably means more like 4 as to what he thinks in real terms.

Yeah I don't want to add players that cost draft collateral either.

I just wouldn't be opposed to front ending a big PSD deal etc.
Still need to get the said FA to come. Last thing we need is to be is an ongoing joke like North that offer ridiculous $$$ + years only for the player to take considerably more elsewhere.

G’Day Guys, hope you’re all well.

Just a little bit of news to share, I think it’s been well documented we’re hitting the draft pretty hard for the next couple of years.

Big Fish looking unlikely this year but we’re looking to spread the money around with our salary cap and attract role players like Scrimshaw, Impey etc currently and Lake, Gibson, Hale previously.

If we were to land a big fish we’d be more inclined to lose one of our big fish rather than our upcoming high draft picks - I don’t mind this strategy.

We’re not gonna get all of these players but players of interest are:

Williams (WC)
Ladhams (PA)
Long (St K)
Brodie (GC)
Lonie (St K)
Wallis (WB)
Clark (Gee)
Frampton (Adel)
Himmelberg (Adel)
Riccardi (GWS)
Dow (Carl)
SPS (Carl)
Sharp (GC)
Fiorini (GC)

I expect us to land 2-3 of these players. A ruckman or 2 a priority for me. Cegs, Brooksby & BB are cooked. BB can only play on heart for so long - champion.

Which 3 of the list would you like us to get?

For me

Ladhams
Clark
Long

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I hope we have a secondary list that is private and contains players with a lot less exposure as it is hard to get enthused by most of those. Sign of the times isn't it that those are our targets. Ben Long...seriously...

Desperately need a ruckman.
And one that is ready to play AFL level.. the bloke the kangas are apparently taking at pick.1 in the mid year draft is a mile.off. we need a ready made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big Fish looking unlikely this year but we’re looking to spread the money around with our salary cap and attract role players like Scrimshaw, Impey etc currently and Lake, Gibson, Hale previously.

Williams (WC)
Ladhams (PA)
Long (St K)
Brodie (GC)
Lonie (St K)
Wallis (WB)
Clark (Gee)
Frampton (Adel)
Himmelberg (Adel)
Riccardi (GWS)
Dow (Carl)
SPS (Carl)
Sharp (GC)
Fiorini (GC)
Williams - Has potential as a duel fwd/back, but is good leading up the 50m. Won't suit Clarksons' forward gameplan.
Ladhams - Dumb ruckman. Does the Ceglar 'look at the man, not the ball' thing.
Long - No thanks. Doesn't improve us other than adding speed.
Brodie - Could have drafted him if we didn't overspend on JOM.
Lonie - Slight upgrade on a position we're well stocked in. We have pressing needs elsewhere. Not worth the extra salary a FA affords for a minor upgrade.
Wallis - Fits Clarksons' love of injured players profile.
Clark - Enigma. Could be good, but could be vanilla. Hard to tell from limited exposure. Fits the injury riddled profile.
Frampton - Another one of those slow, tall forward who can sit under a highball. Useless. Hard pass.
Himmelberg - Similar to above, but can lead to the wing. Better options elsewhere.
Riccardi - Yes... if he's allowed to lead.
Dow - Worst of the list. Absolute trash.
SPS - No. A midfielder version of TOB. Always hyped by his potential.
Sharp - Yes, although not much to go on yet.
Fiorini - As has already been mentioned... is an upgrade on Morrison. Yes.

Not exactly an exciting bunch of player, but thems the price you pay when you sit at the bottom with a list full of cloggers.

And while I'm here, I'd just like to point out you heard it first from me... on page 3. I don't want your likes; reward me with Bitcoin while it's on the down. :p

Our list is super thin for elite talent. Getting one top elite player won't have a great enough effect to make it worthwhile IMO.

We need an accurate mix of quality AND quantity. Going after a Kelly or Merrett on big coin gets us quality, but lessens the chance of getting quantity.

The targets should be those who will not cost a huge chunk of salary and are yet to crack into the elite category, but are showing the signs of getting there. Get, say, 4 or 5 of those types over the next couple of years and if 3 of them make it to the elite category, we will have achieved that mix of quality and quantity. We can't do it for 1st round draft picks, either. They need to be kept as they're your chance for elite talent on rookie coin.

*Cerra is an ideal example. Jarrod Brander is another. Mitch Georgiades also a good target for what we need.

*All mentioned players are simply prototypes of what we need. Nothing more.

Of that list Riccardi & Sharp are two players I really like that are also out of contract. Although it hasn't been our style the preseason draft gives us a safety net where the other clubs don't have as much bargaining power. Riccardi has scope to be a solid forward or defender, and Sharp has limited exposure but also has traits that could make him the type of wingman we desperately need.

Williams from WC is the other one that fits our need (ruck/forward who is young and athletic) but he's contracted for another year and with Nic Nat 31 I think they'd play hard ball.

I mentioned Riccardi earlier in the thread. Playing very well as key defender in the 2s. A really good target for us to complete the developing backline.

I think Clark and Long can offer pace which we lack and Fiorini some outside depth. Is he better than Phillips?

Riccardi has been playing mainly as a defender in the VFL and has put up big numbers. He would add depth to our key position stocks and is still only 21. I’m wary though of any GWS player as our record ain’t that good. :$

Patton
Scully
O’Rourke
Mohr

0/4

Definitely a KPD is an absolute MUST!! a full back type . The chb position is where DGB is suited. Just need cover deep down back. That allows Sic to play thırd tall which he's best at, the roll on effect means one of or two of scrimshaw, Day and/or Impey to roll mainly through the midfield.
All three options are exciting because they all provide a ' point of difference' to our current crop.

I just read an article on the AFL site that says there have been 300 players nominate so far for the MSD. Does anyone know if/where you can see the list of players that have nominated?

I’m surprised Swan Dylan Stephens name hasn’t got a mention.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes! I loved his draft highlights. Not sure what's up with him but he's a very smart midfielder.
Just watched his highlights again - he is so much like Josh Kelly in space.
I'd gladly have him at Hawthorn playing on the outside mid/forward role.
It doesn't look like he's getting much of a look at Sydney - https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-sydney-swans--dylan-stephens

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back