List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

krakouers85 if you don't mind

Of course GR:

AFL rivals line up to poach West Coast Eagles forward Oscar Allen on deals worth up to $850,000 per year

Nick Rynne
The West Australian
Sat, 3 April 2021

Oscar Allen has kicked 44 goals from 40 games since being drafted to West Coast in 2017.
Oscar Allen has kicked 44 goals from 40 games since being drafted to West Coast in 2017. Credit: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Rival AFL clubs are lining up to prise key position prodigy Oscar Allen out of West Coast, with at least three putting together long-term offers understood to be worth up to $850,000 per year.
Allen, out of contract at the end of 2022, has been one of the stories of the season at the Eagles, kicking six goals through the first two rounds while also filling in down back and in the ruck.
His versatility and bag of tricks around goal have not gone unnoticed and given the way the league’s new game style is favouring key forwards, the 22-year-old’s next contract is expected to be significant both in dollar value and the number of years on offer.

Fremantle are one side in the market for another forward, with Matt Taberner and rookie Josh Treacy the only two pure key position goal kickers on their list.
While there are several rivals in the market for Allen’s services, the Eagles will look to head off those bids by entering talks around a contract extension as early as next week.

Clubs typically look to extend their priority signings at least a season before their current deal expires after the advent of AFL free agency saw clubs get far more aggressive in their attempts to poach young talent.
Allen is understood to favour a new deal with West Coast over packing his bags and heading east, but could potentially be swayed given the size of the other offers.

Allen’s best position is around goals, but he can also be used in defence and in the ruck.
Allen’s best position is around goals, but he can also be used in defence and in the ruck. Credit: Paul Kane/Getty Images

He is one of several young stars managed by Corporate Sports Australia’s Andrew McDougall who are set to come out of contract at the end of next season and be the subject of massive offers.
Western Bulldogs ruckman Tim English is another young star making an impact this season. The 23-year-old, also out of contract at the end of 2022, is understood to be in high demand and clubs are expected to lodge their interest in the coming months.
Greater Western Sydney defender Sam Taylor, forward Bobby Hill and North Melbourne wrecking ball Cam Zurhaar are others heading towards the end of their second AFL contracts.
The Eagles’ playing list this year agreed to a seven per cent pay cut across the board to comply with the AFL’s COVID-enforced salary cap cut at the end of last season. That agreement was struck with the understanding the club would not be stockpiling money to splash on high-priced recruits, but did not mention significant pay rises for players already on the list.
Should Allen decide to stay, a permanent spot in the forward line beckons given the likely retirement of 33-year-old spearhead Josh Kennedy in coming years.
He has kicked 44 goals in 40 games for West Coast since being drafted at pick 21 in the 2017 AFL national draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't see any chance of Allen leaving. He's from Perth and he's their long term replacement for Josh Kennedy.

They'll pay him a fortune in a contract of their own and give him three Hungry Jacks restaurants under the table to sweeten the deal. Literally no reason for him to leave

Daniel McConnell: stern look.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
OMG don't remind me; after Kerry Packer sold Channel 9 to Alan Bond, and then bought it back when Bond went bankrupt, he said something to the effect of 'you only meet one Alan Bond in your lifetime - and I've had mine'. John Worsfold must have thought the same thing of Laidley when he got two draft picks for McConnell

Oscar Allen has about as much chance of leaving West Coast as Cunners winning the sprint on Grand Final day.

He will be their absolute priority signing. They would lose anyone rise before him going.

On our current situation.

Why did we not have 2 or 3 key forwards training on with us. We had Skinner and some half back.

How bad was Skinner to not get picked up, given that Comben/Xerri were injured and Tom Campbell was next in line?

Oscar Allen has about as much chance of leaving West Coast as Cunners winning the sprint on Grand Final day.

He will be their absolute priority signing. They would lose anyone rise before him going.

On our current situation.

Why did we not have 2 or 3 key forwards training on with us. We had Skinner and some half back.

How bad was Skinner to not get picked up, given that Comben/Xerri were injured and Tom Campbell was next in line?
Skinner effectively played for a contract in the praccy at Arden Street, and was given a fair crack at it in terms of game time; never looked the part

Let Freo keep him, within 3 years won’t be on AFL list
That was in 2017 and I am sure he will be. You don't lead the contested marks in the comp if you're s**t. Unless we would have had another player that was capable that could also support Larkey?

Throw the kitchen sink at Harry McKay.

Out of contract and we've already got his twin. A great KPF is the hardest thing to find in footy. There's a great opportunity here to get one and I'd say we've got far more money to play with than Carlton do given their recent shopping sprees on big name free agents. If Carlton finish outside the 8 again they will have achieved nothing since he got there - it's not like he'd stay to continue success there.

I think we can all see that we desperately need another tall forward. McKay immediately becomes our best and allows Larkey to take the #2 defender each week, which is where he's had success so far in his career. We'll have our pillars for the next 10+ years with the McKay twins at opposing ends.

Let's play devil's advocate and say that we finish bottom with one or no wins and get given a start of first round priority pick. I'd be comfortable trading Carlton pick 2 for McKay as he's young, proven and fills a massive need for the club long term. Can Carlton match an $800k+ per year like we'd be able to offer? Would Carlton's continued mediocrity on field be enough for him to want to stay? Even if we can't agree to a trade with the Blues, if we convince him not to sign with them we'll have Pick 1 in the PSD to pick him up for free.

If the decision is, for example, pay Kelly $900k in a position we'll be able to fill long term with our top pick in a midfielder-heavy draft this year; OR, pay the same money to McKay to shore up the forward line for the next premiership tilt? I know what I'm going with.

Extremely unlikely scenario, this. However, definitely a line of thought to consider as long as McKay remains unsigned.

May have already been mentioned, however Jimmy Bartel commented on 3aw today re the comparison of Phillips v Logan. He was supportive of North’s decision recruiting Phillips (and Powell) and made the strong point on how critical it is to draft kids with extremely strong character when a club has made the decision to rebuild. He said Phillips and Powell have it in spades and are the perfect two to set a rebuild around. Tough times during a rebuild call for strong characters and we’ve got two of the best in that department. He said he found the Logan comparison annoying and short sighted.

That was in 2017 and I am sure he will be. You don't lead the contested marks in the comp if you're sh*t. Unless we would have had another player that was capable that could also support Larkey?

Taberner is exactly what we need. McKay would obviously be first choice, though. But Taberner leads hard, works had and can take a contested grab - he doesn't need it lace out.

That was in 2017 and I am sure he will be. You don't lead the contested marks in the comp if you're sh*t. Unless we would have had another player that was capable that could also support Larkey?

Yeah I don't get this Taberner is s**t angle. Sure he was a whipping boy for a bit but he's turned himself into a very good footballer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back