Not open for further replies.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
39. Flynn Perez

In his 3 games last year he showed good disposal skills by foot & an ability to put his body on the line. This was especially meritorious as he was coming off a knee reco & had no meaningful lower level games as Our huge injury list meant we were not able to have practice games. Will only get better now that he is having his first pre-season. Is likely to start 21 as a ball distributing defender & move into the midfield as he builds his tank. Will be fighting for a backline spot with Young, Hayden but they all have slightly different skill sets.

Last edited:

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If you can’t kick goals you don’t win.

Appreciate you simplifying such a complex game with this type of grandma analysis.

We need to be better then our opposition at pressure, disposal efficiency, contested ball, uncontested ball/spread, defensive structures, defensive running... & once we’ve done all that, we will kick goals.

Having a forward line full of blokes that kick goals is useless until we get the rest of the ground, particularly the midfield, right.

Our forwardline (besides a second KPF) was arguably our most talented group of u22s in 2020 (Larkey, Zurhaar, Taylor, Thomas etc.), before adding Stephenson as well, so I don’t get what your point is.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Excuse the intrusion guys.

Has there been any word from out of the club, either officially or from sources, that Noble had any influence on your first pick?

From his time at Brisbane, we know Noble places a great emphasis on key forwards being able to take contested marks in the forward 50. Jack Reiwoldt or Tom Lynch types, athletic and jump and crash packs to take a mark.

I’m not sure Logan McDonald is that type of KPF.

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
I'm just wondering where Richmond are good at anything, to be used in any form of example. They won premierships where other teams have been shitand/or developing. They have one fantastic player with average the rest, which in turn can be and has been good enough to win a couple of premierships.

BTW Tom Lynch has become a spud since coming to Lolmond....albeit played a role giving the fwd line more options.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Excuse the intrusion guys.

Has there been any word from out of the club, either officially or from sources, that Noble had any influence on your first pick?

From his time at Brisbane, we know Noble places a great emphasis on key forwards being able to take contested marks in the forward 50. Jack Reiwoldt or Tom Lynch types, athletic and jump and crash packs to take a mark.

I’m not sure Logan McDonald is that type of KPF.

We took the BEST player available at 3. That was Phillips. With our new recruiting staff no brainer.

Kid will be a star.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
We took the BEST player available at 3. That was Phillips. With our new recruiting staff no brainer.

Kid will be a star.
Yeah great. That’s not what I was asking.

I have no opinion one way or the other about the selection of Phillips, that’s not why I am here.

Simply asking if there has been any noise about Noble having influence on your draft selections.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I have no opinion one way or the other about the selection of Phillips, that’s not why I am here.

Simply asking if there has been any noise about Noble having influence on your draft selections.
When noble was asked he said that he was informed on our draft situation and the direction we were headed and he was all for it.
So I take that has the list management/draft team decided what they want to do as I understand its been in previous years.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Senior coach. Why should he have any say in our first selection in the draft ? 🙄

Last edited:

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The noise is that he wants to build from the midfield out. I don’t think the rebuild model will be too dissimilar to what Brisbane have done.

I think we would all be naive to think he doesn’t have some say in the type of players we pick over the whole draft. He needs build a game plan around these players, so just don’t see how he wouldn’t be involved in some way.

As for picking Phillips, it would have been solely our recruiting team picking best available. It would have been interesting to see which way we went if both Thilthorpe and Phillips were on the table.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

spurs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
THFC, Claremont Tigers
Appreciate you simplifying such a complex game with this type of grandma analysis.

We need to be better then our opposition at pressure, disposal efficiency, contested ball, uncontested ball/spread, defensive structures, defensive running... & once we’ve done all that, we will kick goals.

Having a forward line full of blokes that kick goals is useless until we get the rest of the ground, particularly the midfield, right.

Our forwardline (besides a second KPF) was arguably our most talented group of u22s in 2020 (Larkey, Zurhaar, Taylor, Thomas etc.), before adding Stephenson as well, so I don’t get what your point is.
Ok Brad

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
40. Eddie Ford

Seems like a boom or bust pick which is fine for a pick in the 50s. COVID robbed him of a chance to play in the midfield in the U18s last year. His lack of exposure as a mid may have been one of the reasons he was a draft slider. Has a big of swagger & can take a hanger so there is a bit of X factor there. We have an abundance of mids & medium forwards so he will start behind a few.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
40. Eddie Ford

Seems like a boom or bust pick which is fine for a pick in the 50s. COVID robbed him of a chance to play in the midfield in the U18s last year. His lack of exposure as a mid may have been one of the reasons he was a draft slider. Has a big of swagger & can take a hanger so there is a bit of X factor there. We have an abundance of mids & medium forwards so he will start behind a few.
Kid I was high on.

Has more midfield exposure than Archie Perkins.

It’s more about him “wanting it” and putting in the work, than anything talent wise.

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think the second key forward will be used for structure. We will throw the resting ruckmen there or any big guy that can crash packs but essebtially plays multiple roles.

Emphasis appears to have been placed in other positions. Mids, flanks, defence. I think we're prob happy with the marking ability of our myriad of mid-tall forwards Garner, Zurharr, Ziebs, Taylor, Thomas and we feel second key forward doesnt need to be a start.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

The list was getting significantly reshaped before Noble came along, so my view is the current setup is the work of Rawlings, Clayton and Luff.

I would expect Noble to take a drivers seat from now on.

speedy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2001
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why did we choose will Phillips?
iNick Dal Santo recently said Ben Cunnington (our best player) will never be AFL fit.
Boomer long gone and Higgo nearing the end of his journey with us, I think Brady and co decided we needed an upgrade on the training track.
Will was our no.1 choice for what he offers off the field just as much as what he offers on it.

Professionalism, leadership and a hunger for success.

Last edited:

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why did we choose will Phillips?
iNick Dal Santo recently said Ben Cunnington (our best player) will never be AFL fit.
Boomer long gone and Higgo nearing the end of his journey with us, I think Brady and co decided we needed an upgrade on the training track.
Will was our no.1 choice for what he offers off the field just as much as what he offers on it.

Professionalism, leadership and a hunger for success.
I have no faith in what dal santo says these days.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
41. Matt McGuinness

It is interesting that we chose to re-rookie him rather than use the spot for EVW. Given the events of 2020 he has little exposed form on which we can judge him. Originally brought in as a defender with good disposal skills especially by foot but now, perhaps out of necessity, being considered for a key forward role. Listed as 192 cms & 75 kegs so will need to do a lot of bulking up if he is to have success in this role.

None that I know about. Given how late he came in that's understandable.

I expect Xerri to play the big pack crashing fwd role too

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
41. Matt McGuinness

It is interesting that we chose to re-rookie him rather than use the spot for EVW. Given the events of 2020 he has little exposed form on which we can judge him. Originally brought in as a defender with good disposal skills especially by foot but now, perhaps out of necessity, being considered for a key forward role. Listed as 192 cms & 75 kegs so will need to do a lot of bulking up if he is to have success in this role.
Matt is cat B. He was retained in a spot EVW couldn't have used. We chose WW over EVW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back