Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
lol. hardly a fine example when comparing Abletts and Careys. If anything, it just goes to show how dime a dozen mids are. Oliver is hardly a world beater.

Tambling over Franklin......

see what I did there....

The whole point is it's ridiculous to compare Abletts and Careys when Logan MacDonald and Will Phillips are both 3 games into their careers. You're taking it as a given that the bloke we didn't select will be an Ablett or a Carey. He could very well be a Scache. He could very well be a great. Who knows.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The whole point is it's ridiculous to compare Abletts and Careys when Logan MacDonald and Will Phillips are both 3 games into their careers. You're taking it as a given that the bloke we didn't select will be an Ablett or a Carey. He could very well be a Scache. He could very well be a great. Who knows.
100%

Well we should have drafted them then. Not hung up on McDonald (though I still think he's the most likely. Time will tell) I simply believe we stuffed it up by opting for a mid rather than a tall. Not a knock on Phillips in the slightest as he has the traits I like in a mid. Talented tall over talented mid is all.

Are you taking Martin over Carey for example? Or Ablett Jnr over Ablett Snr? I'm going the forwards every day of the week.
Martin over Carey ... probably not but Carey could play anywhere including in the midfield and probably would play there these days or he'd play that role where a player moves from the midfield to the forward line ala Martin, Dangerfield. etc.

Abletts ... I dunno. Sr was an inch taller than his kid (6' v 6'1") so its unlikely he'd play as a KPF these days either So he is shorter than Martin, Dangerfield, Fyfe even Dumont and JZ etc etc ... all of those modern big bodied mids. He is the same size as Cunners so he would probably play a role similar to the one GAj played in a modern side.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Well we should have drafted them then. Not hung up on McDonald (though I still think he's the most likely. Time will tell) I simply believe we stuffed it up by opting for a mid rather than a tall. Not a knock on Phillips in the slightest as he has the traits I like in a mid. Talented tall over talented mid is all.

Are you taking Martin over Carey for example? Or Ablett Jnr over Ablett Snr? I'm going the forwards every day of the week.

We clearly have many needs, cant blame the club for wanting to put together a contender quality midfield first. Is the way the game is going, you could have king king at FF and he'd struggle if theres no quality ball coming in.
Maybe the club figures we'll have a look at what Comben and Larkey offer. Besides with an exciting midfield we become a better chance of landing a Key forward via trade.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If Shai Bolton remains unsigned I really hope we go hard at him. I doubt he'd jump over, but Richmond aren't going to be able to offer as much cash as other clubs.

Bolton + one of Horne/Sonsie/Sinn ect would just about complete our midfield rebuild.

LDU, Simpkin, Stephenson, Bolton, Powell, Philllips, Horne....that's a midfield bulging with talent.

ROORAGE

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2007
The Black Lodge
AFL Club
North Melbourne
lol Oliver is "hardly a world beater" at this point he's one of the best young midfielders to ever play the game. If he maintains his output throughout his career he will top the record books in almost every conceivable statistic for a midfielder.

bollocks to this. ever to play the game? he's in the same league as Brad Crouch.

Pfft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROORAGE

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2007
The Black Lodge
AFL Club
North Melbourne

oh man. AGAIN. should have drafted a KPF, NOT a midfielder. It's not about Phillips vs McDonald - it's about a mid vs a KPF

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The only thing I have not vehemently disagreed with from the peanut gallery.

so anyway, next years draft...

All-in on this young South African lad with the good outswinger?

You want targets? Who else?

You are being paid $300k a year to manage the list, you have picks 1,19,20,37

Go.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
so anyway, next years draft...

All-in on this young South African lad with the good outswinger?

You want targets? Who else?

You are being paid $300k a year to manage the list, you have picks 1,19,20,37

Go.
Pick 1, 19, 20 and a future 6th as a sweetener for that big blonde kid from Sandringham/Adelaide who definitely won't be a bust and pick 14.5.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’d be keeping an eye out on what’s available at the kennel. With a number of big names out of contract (Bont ect) they are going to face a little bit of a salary cap squeeze.

They have plenty of handy fringe players who are currently uncontracted that could play roles for us long term.

Ed Richards, Cody Weightman and Patrick Lipinski all OOC at the end of the year. I’d happily have any of them in Roos colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back