List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Betts, Murphy and Casboult to retire this year. Martin on the third year of a heavily frontloaded contract. Of our best players, Docherty, C Curnow, McGovern are due for pay cuts. Ed Curnow is probably year to year and only Jones remains as an older player on reasonable money.

We obviously paid Saad and Williams well and this will cut into our cap, but that's off the back of 3 years of underspending at 95 percent, letting us spend 105 percent at present.

I dont think we're that tight for salary cap as people are making out.

I'd think we'd offer Harry 2 years at around 750 per season (to take him up to F/A); or something in that ballpark, with incentives built in. Obviously, if he were to get a crazy 1.2-3m long term offer, we wouldn't even think of matching that.

$750k for Harry McKay?

1620104022887.png

Hope Mitch Wallis is considered. Love what were doing with the back 2/3rds of the ground but we're still nude up front. Even a stop gap like Wallis will make us considerably more competitive, and our torrent of midfielders trying as forwards arent going to put the score on the board. (understand irony of failed mid Wallis but is proven to be a success up front).

We need someone who would stab for a goal. Talking Tom Papley/Devon Smith levels of selfishness for a goal.

He's on track for the Coleman at present, and as a 23 year old KPF, that's a reasonable offer for 2 years. If he's up there in the Coleman calculations over the next 2 years, then when his F/A window opens in 2023, he can expect a lot more than 750k when he hits F/A.

Betts, Murphy and Casboult to retire this year. Martin on the third year of a heavily frontloaded contract. Of our best players, Docherty, C Curnow, McGovern are due for pay cuts. Ed Curnow is probably year to year and only Jones remains as an older player on reasonable money.

We obviously paid Saad and Williams well and this will cut into our cap, but that's off the back of 3 years of underspending at 95 percent, letting us spend 105 percent at present.

I'd think we'd offer Harry 2 years at around 750 per season (to take him up to F/A); or something in that ballpark, with incentives built in. Obviously, if he were to get a crazy 1.2-3m long term offer, we wouldn't even think of matching that.

Fair enough with that as you’d know more than non fans.

Thought docherty has done well not withstanding injury.
Are McGovern and c.curnow out of contract this year.

He's on track for the Coleman at present, and as a 23 year old KPF, that's a reasonable offer for 2 years. If he's up there in the Coleman calculations over the next 2 years, then when his F/A window opens in 2023, he can expect a lot more than 750k when he hits F/A.

He is out of contract this year. Someone will put a million a year on the table, possibly for up to 5 years. You will need to be a lot higher than $750k.

Are McGovern and c.curnow out of contract this year.

Both expire in 2023, and both were heavily frontloaded (we had a lot of cap space spare in 2015-2020 when we did those contracts).

We banked space in our cap during our s**t years, and frontloaded all the bigger deals to open a window for F/A (and protect ourselves from the inevitable play for Cripps from the West this year).

Betts, Murphy and Casboult are playing their last years this year and there is probably a million or so there, if not more (just going on average AFL wages). Notwithstanding the Saad, Williams and Martin trades, we should be sitting pretty healthy in the cap department, probably even being able to get in another F/A this year or next.

Both expire in 2023, and both were heavily frontloaded (we had a lot of cap space spare in 2015-2020 when we did those contracts).

We banked space in our cap during our sh*t years, and frontloaded all the bigger deals to open a window for F/A (and protect ourselves from the inevitable play for Cripps from the West this year).

Betts, Murphy and Casboult are playing their last years this year and there is probably a million or so there, if not more (just going on average AFL wages). Notwithstanding the Saad, Williams and Martin trades, we should be sitting pretty healthy in the cap department, probably even being able to get in another F/A this year or next.
I miss the Cam Joyce days..
McKay would be sitting on a 10 mil over 9 years offer from us..
no chance of leaving but good for all the banter, never the less.

Isn't Zac Williams getting $900K?
How they fit anyone new into their cap without losing players will need an investigation. They would have to be on their ceiling. Walsh will demand 600+ at his next contract. Even though I was told a month plus ago that crips would sign in a few weeks, this hasnt happened. I dare say Cripps and Mcgovern will be on the outski. They have no room. No room when ya paying 1.7m in half backs. They’re cooked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How they fit anyone new into their cap without losing players will need an investigation. They would have to be on their ceiling. Walsh will demand 600+ at his next contract. Even though I was told a month plus ago that crips would sign in a few weeks, this hasnt happened. I dare say Cripps and Mcgovern will be on the outski. They have no room. No room when ya paying 1.7m in half backs. They’re cooked

I suspect they will backend the s**t out of them & have little room to move going forward.

I also suspect they will cut a few off the list & pick up some kids.

I suspect they will backend the sh*t out of them & have little room to move going forward.

I also suspect they will cut a few off the list & pick up some kids.
So they’re attempting a collingwood move without the success? Then they’ll have to butcher their list to then rebuild? I dont think that method is very successful. Collingwood could bottom out worse than us. They are smoked.

He'll attract unreasonable offers.

So in all likelihood you'll need to be ball park of an unreasonable offer to counter. Less sure, but ball park.

back end, back end, back end.

The whole Harry thing hinges on whether he wants to play with Ben. If he wants to, we will get him. If he doesn't care, we won't.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it is a bit of a fantasy TBH.

I hope we offer him a bunch of cash, to set a market value at pretty high.

I doubt we'd have the trade currency to do it. or at least be willing to part with the trade currency to do it.

And PSD is nonsense because the reality of us doing that would be less than 1% chance.

You’re not in trouble right now, but I think you will be unless some of your key players sign for unders. Really why should they when you’re paying overs for players like Williams, Saad, McGovern and Martin? I also don’t buy into players coming together to sign for unders when you’re not successful. The sides like Brisbane in the early 00’s, Hawthorn and Richmond recently do it because they’re winning flags. Carlton are not even in finals contention and they haven’t been a flag contender for 20 years.

In the next 6 months you need to sign Cripps, McKay and in 18 months Walsh. All three could be offered up to a million on multi year deals from opposition clubs. If they want to be paid close to market value, then I don’t see how it is possible. You can front load and backload all you like, but you’re still within the same parameters as everyone else. I just can’t see how you can work the books to make all that work in the next couple of years without serious consequences. Curnow isn’t going to play for nothing either. I think a rival club would be happy to back themselves in to get him right on good coin.

You will have players that retire or take pay cuts, but you will also have other young players to sign as well. From a salary perspective you’re probably lucky SPS, Dow and O’Brien look like busts (not A grade material anyway).

I think you will get all 3 signed, but the ramifications down the track particularly if you’re not successful could be Collingwood bad.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I think it is a bit of a fantasy TBH.

I hope we offer him a bunch of cash, to set a market value at pretty high.

I doubt we'd have the trade currency to do it. or at least be willing to part with the trade currency to do it.

And PSD is nonsense because the reality of us doing that would be less than 1% chance.

Next years first and don’t even think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back