List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Draftees reluctantly went to Arden Street.
F*** off Mick, that's rubbish. We literally havent lost any of the draft picks from the last 4 years and they've all re-signed.

And Wallis does absolutely nothing for our rebuild, Chol as a cheap KPP depth option isn't bad, but shouldn't be a priority.

Malthouse: Why Roos must not pull free agency trigger

Mick Malthouse: David Noble and Kangaroos need to bide their time with big free agency signing
The young Kangaroos and new coach David Noble are suddenly making all the right sounds but they shouldn’t overreach by going after a big fish just yet, writes Mick Malthouse.

Mick Malthouse

4 min read
July 17, 2021 - 11:00AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

People gave up on North Melbourne pretty early this season.

Free agents had rejected them. Draftees reluctantly went to Arden Street. Without a standout star it wasn’t even clear who the club identified with. And it all seemed like a thankless job for new coach David Noble.

After eight straight losses, some of them thrashings, a seven-point win over Hawthorn in Round 9 was the start of a resurrection.

I admire Noble for the subtle changes he made after those losses.

Initially, as former football general manager at Brisbane, Noble appeared to be trying to replicate Chris Fagan’s successful Lions’ structure of last year. But that was a trap because that game style didn’t automatically work for North.

David Noble and his young side has made considerable progress in the back half of the season.

David Noble and his young side has made considerable progress in the back half of the season.

A Round 1, 52-point loss to Port Adelaide, Round 2, 59-point loss to Gold Coast, and a 128-point loss to the Western Bulldogs in Round 3 served as a reminder that each team must be coached according to its strengths.

North is now securing the ball and being proactive while not trying to chew off more than its skill level allows.

The win in Perth last Monday against a highly-talented West Coast side showed the maturity North has developed in its past eight games.

This mini-revival does not get North out of the woods, but its senior players have stepped up, its younger players have grown, and its overall game structure has given it a soundness and confidence that it can enter its remaining six games as a winning chance every week.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/olympics
And it has all been inspired by the new coach who has held his nerve and done a terrific job.

But still, some facts remain.

North is led by lion-hearted, former mid now backman, Jack Ziebell, who always does a sterling job.

The team is glued together by Ziebell and Todd Goldstein — an elite ruckman who can run all day and kick goals, Robbie Tarrant as a key back, and Ben Cunnington who has been magnificent in the clinches this year.

Noble’s subtle changes after heavy season-opening defeats have worked well.

The big worry is that these players aren’t young anymore, so who replaces them when they retire?

There’ll be free agents every year and bottom clubs will continue to chase those big names. In the Kangaroos’ case, this is not a negative, but I can’t see them finishing in the final eight for the next couple of years at least, and as free agents come at a high cost and have minimal career years left, quite frankly, I think it is a waste of time for them.

They have constantly been rejected by big-name free agents in recent years, electing to take Jared Polec and Jasper Pittard from Port Adelaide in 2018 as a fall back, maybe to prove they could secure established players. But neither player improved the team dramatically, instead taking positions that could have been given to younger players. Pittard was delisted at the end of last year and Polec has been injured for most of this season.

Looking at the free agent list — restricted and unrestricted — there would only be two players that North should contemplate.

One would be the Western Bulldogs’ Mitch Wallis, not that he’s a champion, but he has great leadership qualities and would be an extremely professional player who could assist North’s youngsters.

The other is Mabior Chol from Richmond, because he could play senior football immediately as a solid secondary ruck for 33-year-old Goldstein.

Most of the top free agents have already been signed up. If you go to free agency and pay big money you need to secure a constant match winner. Josh Kelly was reportedly offered a multimillion-dollar eight-year-deal with the Giants, which is craziness.

Mabior Chol would make a good fit at North as a secondary ruckman.

Mabior Chol would make a good fit at North as a secondary ruckman.

North shouldn’t even entertain that type of player or that type of money.

If they want to supplement their list, at a pinch they could look at St Kilda’s Jack Billings or Tom Lynch from Adelaide, taking into consideration fitness, injuries, and the pay packet.

North should focus entirely on the national draft as it will serve the Roos well if they pick solidly for the future, not for quick fixes.

They were fortunate to fall upon Jaidyn Stephenson cheaply from Collingwood, but that situation isn’t likely to be replicated. He played his best game for the season against the Eagles.

Tom Powell, taken at No. 13 in the 2020 draft, is the sort of player North should invest in.

Will Phillips, selected at No. 3 last year, is a great investment, even if his figures aren’t grand at the moment.

Ben McKay, taken with the 21st pick in 2015, is a certainty to become one of the top echelon key backs of the competition. At 201cm he can handle most key forwards and will only get better. So it does take time, patience, and a good deal of work.

Western Bulldogs’ Mitch Wallis has great leadership qualities and could help in the development of the young Kangas.

Western Bulldogs’ Mitch Wallis has great leadership qualities and could help in the development of the young Kangas.

Nick Larkey (pick 73 in 2017), Charlie Lazzaro (pick 36 in 2020), Tristan Xerri (pick 72 in 2017), Jack Mahoney (pick 34 in 2017) — give them time and they will all come through together, and North will be better for it.

Already there’s clear signs of improvement.

Larkey needs support on the forward line but he is potentially a 50-goal plus full-forward. Medium-forward Cameron Zurhaar is starting to realise his potential.

Tarryn Thomas is going to be an outstanding player. With all the attributes of an exciting, beautifully skilled and balanced player who can kick the clutch goals, he has a really bright future.

Jy Simpkin, an excellent midfielder who has snuck under the radar, just gets on with the job.

With similar traits to Ziebell, Luke McDonald could be North’s next captain. Steady, hard at it and committed, you always know what you’re going to get from him.

Saturday’s game against Essendon will be another test for North, but if slow and steady wins the race then the signs are looking good, and North supporters have every reason to be optimistic.

Draftees reluctantly went to Arden Street? Really? News to me.

I think we should put our 1st rnd next year on the table. Attract a ready made senior footballer or another gun kid in this years draft. May have been said already!

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Considering we are going to get Harvey next year I wouldn’t be against it.

Not really interested in senior players though, would much prefer another top ten pick so we could target Josh Gibcus, Josh Rachele, Tyler Sonsie or Josh Sinn.

Horne, Gibcus (CHB) one of the tall WA tall forwards @20 and we’d be flying.

Considering we are going to get Harvey next year I wouldn’t be against it.

Not really interested in senior players though, would much prefer another top ten pick so we could target Josh Gibcus, Josh Rachele, Tyler Sonsie or Josh Sinn.

Horne, Gibcus (CHB) one of the tall WA tall forwards @20 and we’d be flying.
Reckon we need a KPD on the list RF? I think we need another one for sure.

Id be happy if we could attract a cerra or bolton, but yeah not a senior player just for the sake of it.

So reluctant that they re-sign the first chance they get.
Yeah he does say a lot right in that article and then just butchers it with that ridiculous baseless comment. His opinions on our young fellas spot on. Not looking at Kelly my opinion wrong not everyone on here would like him i know. Comes down to price like most of us know and can agree on. Billing 1 min i think yes then the next what were how does he fit in. Still huge on Richards but has not missed a beat since he has been back. Thought we maybe a real chance before but cannot see the Dogs letting him go now. Lipinski here nor there. The 2 Geelong boys would be very nice still a big wrap for Constable not to much love for him on here i know but i rate him He is another which we do have a couple like but i would still find a spot for him. Fioarini as well i rate a lot higher than most on our forum played really really well since he has got back into the team. Plays kind of like Froggy but praying we can keep him love him in our team. I think it will be VERY interesting to see how we approach this draft and how if we use the 2022 draft this year.

Why does the injury list come into it SM?

Because injuries affect our chances of winning games.
Wouldn’t be good giving up a top 3 pick for a pick 10.
Itd be good to get as many top end talents but you’ve got to balance it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah he does say a lot right in that article and then just butchers it with that ridiculous baseless comment. His opinions on our young fellas spot on. Not looking at Kelly my opinion wrong not everyone on here would like him i know. Comes down to price like most of us know and can agree on. Billing 1 min i think yes then the next what were how does he fit in. Still huge on Richards but has not missed a beat since he has been back. Thought we maybe a real chance before but cannot see the Dogs letting him go now. Lipinski here nor there. The 2 Geelong boys would be very nice still a big wrap for Constable not to much love for him on here i know but i rate him He is another which we do have a couple like but i would still find a spot for him. Fioarini as well i rate a lot higher than most on our forum played really really well since he has got back into the team. Plays kind of like Froggy but praying we can keep him love him in our team. I think it will be VERY interesting to see how we approach this draft and how if we use the 2022 draft this year.
Hand on a minute.... have I missed that Star and Pupstar are Parent and Child?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reckon we need a KPD on the list RF? I think we need another one for sure.

Id be happy if we could attract a cerra or bolton, but yeah not a senior player just for the sake of it.

Yep. Definitely think we need another developing key defender on the list. We have no one under the age of 25 outside of McKay who is capable of playing as a key defender. Tarrant isn’t going to be around forever and I don’t really see Corr having a lot of longevity in his career considering his injuries so far.

From a list balance point of view, I think we are short a key forward (although Edwards done a bit to alleviate that), a developing key defender and a developing ruck. I like Xerri but I don’t see him becoming an elite ruckman.

Very risky to trade a future first rounder with the injury list we have had for the last 5 yrs.

It’s less of a risk if we know Cooper Harvey is tracking to be an earlier pick.

You either pray & hope he falls after our first round pick next year or alternatively you can trade our future first and have two shots inside the top 10 this year.

Either way we have the chance to have two bites at the cherry.

It’s less of a risk if we know Cooper Harvey is tracking to be an earlier pick.

You either pray & hope he falls after our first round pick next year or alternatively you can trade our future first and have two shots inside the top 10 this year.

Either way we have the chance to have two bites at the cherry.

Yeah I understand that cooper coming next year might affect our first rounder but how strong is next years draft class.
A lot of ppl (me included)get excited with the current draft class abs want as many as you can grab.
It’s a risk and at the end of the day - you take 2 first rounders over the next two years either way. Only difference is that you get another year of development into them if you take two this year

Yeah I understand that cooper coming next year might affect our first rounder but how strong is next years draft class.
A lot of ppl (me included)get excited with the current draft class abs want as many as you can grab.
It’s a risk and at the end of the day - you take 2 first rounders over the next two years either way. Only difference is that you get another year of development into them if you take two this year

It seemed to work out pretty good for us when we traded out our 2019 first which netted us Powell.

I think having 4 first rounds across the space of 2 years would be huge (Phillips, Powell, Horne + xxxx).

This years draftees then get
An additional year of development while Cunners, Ziebell, Tazz & Goldy are still around.

It seemed to work out pretty good for us when we traded out our 2019 first which netted us Powell.

I think having 4 first rounds across the space of 2 years would be huge (Phillips, Powell, Horne + xxxx).

This years draftees then get
An additional year of development while Cunners, Ziebell, Tazz & Goldy are still around.

I’d wait to draft night to make sure the player we want is still there

Yep. Definitely think we need another developing key defender on the list. We have no one under the age of 25 outside of McKay who is capable of playing as a key defender. Tarrant isn’t going to be around forever and I don’t really see Corr having a lot of longevity in his career considering his injuries so far.

From a list balance point of view, I think we are short a key forward (although Edwards done a bit to alleviate that), a developing key defender and a developing ruck. I like Xerri but I don’t see him becoming an elite ruckman.
That's why McGuiness at 195cm and cat b rookie was so good for us.
Shame his development has really hit the wall.

That's why McGuiness at 195cm and cat b rookie was so good for us.
Shame his development has really hit the wall.
McGuinness just been unlucky with injury, his kicking is very good especially
But we can keep him cat b rookie for 1 more year so we should have him a make or break gear next year

Makes those couple of years where we targeted just these types, and ultimately failed, oh so painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back