North Melbourne
Shaddup... don't tell them that
9E50FA4B-0F2F-4CE5-8499-32691EF411E6.gif

Draft Potential

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
They have also posted a bunch of photos on instagram etc.

Ben King went to Haileybury and finished school in 2018.

LDU and Bonar also went to Haileybury and finished the year before - but they all played together at school footy.

Ben played TAC at Sandy Dragons as well as Vic Metro in 2018 with Jack Mahony.

From memory I also think he was in AFL National Academy with Jaidyn Stevenson and Bailey Scott.

RossHenshaw

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ben King went to Haileybury and finished school in 2018.

LDU and Bonar also went to Haileybury and finished the year before - but they all played together at school footy.

Ben played TAC at Sandy Dragons as well as Vic Metro in 2018 with Jack Mahony.

From memory I also think he was in AFL National Academy with Jaidyn Stevenson and Bailey Scott.
Here’s a question …. Would we give pick 1 for Ben King ?

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Here’s a question …. Would we give pick 1 for Ben King ?

I think we would in the hypothetical they thought they needed to move him now but they seem more focused on 1) trading out of the first round this year and 2) using next year to convince him to stay. It's why I don't think we'll trade our 2022 first rounder into this year though, it'll be valuable if King is on our radar.

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can we please stop saying “x player is mates with one of our players” when throwing up trade scenarios. This is professional sport, s**t like that is irrelevant. Show me *one* concrete instance in AFL history where a player has moved clubs to play with a mate or someone they went to school with. It clogs up the the thread and it is not in tune with reality.

RossHenshaw

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wouldn't no, i still think Comben will be just as good. Goal kicking mid like Horne is what we need. Take the year to see how much Comben comes on.
I tend to agree but it’s high risk relying just on Comben to come good so quickly plus we are one set back away from another injury from him (been plenty unlucky ones so far in his short career) & we are back to where we were this year with just Larkey & Zurhaar again holding up the forward line … we need to have a back up ready made forward. That’s why the suggestion of a Lynch from the crows or similar was not such a bad idea .
I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but if only we chased 2 meter Pete from GC a little bit harder last season !

The Lone Latic

Glutton for Punishment
Oct 8, 2011
Watching the Latics fail repeatedly
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wigan Athletic
Can we please stop saying “x player is mates with one of our players” when throwing up trade scenarios. This is professional sport, sh*t like that is irrelevant. Show me *one* concrete instance in AFL history where a player has moved clubs to play with a mate or someone they went to school with. It clogs up the the thread and it is not in tune with reality.
Isn't this how we landed with Bonar? Had option to stay or be pushed out and he's best mates with LDU who recruited him?

Wreck It Ralph: The 21 big players who are threatening to shake up the trade and free agency period

Tom Lynch (Adelaide)

His last three games in Crows colours showed why he was once footy’s best mid-forward connector, peeling off 22, 29 and 23 touches with three total goals, five direct score assists and 20 score involvements. He might not be in the Kangaroos’ list demographic but he would make them appreciably better for two seasons. Ranked fourth of all general forwards for disposals this year.

Trent Dumont (North Melbourne)
The Roos played Dumont as a wingman this year after a long lay-off with calf issues, and he was just solid — averaging 17.9 possessions and 65 SuperCoach points. But he is a free agent and as recently as last year he averaged 102 SuperCoach points in 17 games playing a more inside game. You aren’t building your midfield around him, but he’s only just 26 and will have suitors.

Jack Billings (St Kilda)
Keen to stay at St Kilda and the Saints will keep him at the right price.
No one would offer the free agent a deal that would secure first-round compo for the Saints, but they could offer him four years at $600,000 and force St Kilda to match it.
Has battled all year with plantar fascia but at 26 he still has six good seasons left. North Melbourne has some interest, but he’s not seen to be a priority for the Roos.

(Let me know if you want the full list)

Last edited:

Mjs94

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Isn't this how we landed with Bonar? Had option to stay or be pushed out and he's best mates with LDU who recruited him?
Not really, Bonar wanted out of GWS and pretty much would have gone to any club who wanted him. We showed interest on the last day and got him

Apr 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Can we please stop saying “x player is mates with one of our players” when throwing up trade scenarios. This is professional sport, sh*t like that is irrelevant. Show me *one* concrete instance in AFL history where a player has moved clubs to play with a mate or someone they went to school with. It clogs up the the thread and it is not in tune with reality.

Neale and McCarthy as a contemporary case.

RossHenshaw

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not really, Bonar wanted out of GWS and pretty much would have gone to any club who wanted him. We showed interest on the last day and got him
Bonar lucky we selected him with literally seconds to go that trade year ….
Otherwise he would of ended in the VFL scrap heap somewhere. (* Might still end there )….

When we picked up Bonar the words I remember were X factor and inside mid. Either we’ve been trying to turn him into something he’s not, or he has simply not been able to transfer his qualities from junior footy into AFL

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
I’d trade pick 1 for Ben king in a millisecond

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
DR 100% and my personal view hasn't changed due to todays mess. But if my job was say list manager I'd feel I had failed if we get knocked back.

I love how we're tracking yes we have gaps and the team today I have question marks against; McDonald, Hall, Walker ( actually not Walker he should be finished now) , Atley, Turner and Dumont. Being a nasty prick I would suggest if all of those left it wouldn't have a huge impact.

I expect the majority to stay of course. We need back in the side; Perez, Comben, JZ, Cunners, Powell and Corr. I think next season will be lean again before we make our charge in 2023
I thought Donald had already left.

Apr 29, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I just pray we recruit a few ‘Heath Shaw’ types who despise losing! We need a few more with those personality traits on our list!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back