List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread II - IN: CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wonder if Scotts new gig will cost us any chance of a priority pick because:
a) He doesn't want to be perceived as having a conflict of interest (not that it seemed to have stopped Hockings)
b) His astute football brain when it comes to helping Joyces and McMahons with list management and recruiting in the past could never have led to a situation where the club would justify a priority pick
c) Sour grapes
d) All of the above
e) None of the above (enter your response here)
Scott seems to me like the bloke who’d pick up the rule book and say yes or no based purely on that.. and pigheaded enough to stand by his decision either way..

I have no idea how our chips will fall regards to PP but after the hocking shitshow probably going to be a godsend at the mro..

I wonder what Laura Kane’s loyalty is like…

Last edited:
Much as I'd like to fu** over the pies and dogs, there's a shitload of publicity capital associated with the number 1 pick, something that we should be able to leverage to increase membership, people at games, eyes on TV telecasts etc.

It's extremely important for us to showcase our future as much as possible.

Yeah, I can understand where people are coming from when they say bid on Daicos, largely because it isn't going to impact who we get. I think pick 1 has more weight than bidding with lesser picks. It was dead obvious JUH had more talent in his one sack than anyone else had in their entire body. It doesn't mean Thilthorpe wont end up the better player, but it was a dead obvious call, the guy they ended up with is a local. They wont look bad no matter how it plays out.

We didn't bid on Campbell last year with pick 3 and I think it was a similar scenario where I felt Campbell and Phillips were similar in value, some would even have said Campbell was the better player, but it would have been marginal difference imo. We didn't bid. Hawks did with 5. There were huge ramification in us not bidding given Swans had pick 4.

Frank Thring

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
the AFLs secret formula puts great weighting on "recent years" but no one knows how recent is recent. My point is, Crows have been just as bad as us for the last 4 years so if you think we deserve a priority pick then do you think the Crows do as well? Who's injury list has been worse? When the AFL takes injuries into account they may say, hey when fully fit Crows list is worse than yours so we'll give them a priority instead! Be careful what you wish for.
That's not how it works. As if the AFL will assess our application and end up giving it to another team.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lol, some comments in this thread amaze me.

Someone said the pies might not match a daicos bid 😂

And the dogs not matching a Darcy bid....... come on people. A top 3 talent or pick 18?

Stop being silly people.

And I’m not sure if we should bid anyway given taking Horne at 1 would be a great show of faith and gesture of goodwill. But if we do bid, both are matching.

Clarence2norton

Senior List
Apr 27, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Love to see the Doggies whiteboard......assuming they take the same pragmatic approach ie take the best available player what if they rate JHF higher than Darcy. Will they still bid to get him if we call his name out. Or do we safely assume they will take Darcy regardless?? FWIW if the North whiteboard has Daicos 1 and JHF 2 then call them in that order
The Dogs don’t automatically get the next pick after us if we bid on Darcy.

For them it’s an argument of is Darcy better than the bloke they’ll select with their first pick which at this stage is looking around 18 or 19.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
a) He doesn't want to be perceived as having a conflict of interest (not that it seemed to have stopped Hockings)
b) His astute football brain when it comes to helping Joyces and McMahons with list management and recruiting in the past could never have led to a situation where the club would justify a priority pick
c) Sour grapes
d) All of the above

e) Sounds like PP isn't his call. He isn't taking over from Hocking's job.. It seems like new role that takes on some of Hocking's (game aesthetics, umpires and MRO) and expanding his previous role nationally (talent and pathways).

And the dogs not matching a Darcy bid....... come on people
. A top 3 talent or pick 18?

Stop being silly people.

And I’m not sure if we should bid anyway given taking Horne at 1 would be a great show of faith and gesture of goodwill. But if we do bid, both are matching.
All senarios need to be looked at...even the ones that may not happen....

Did he though? I think there’s more to that saga then we’ll ever know

I feel bad for going to the Crows board earlier in the year and asking them to pay him $1m so we can get pick 2 as compensation.

And the dogs not matching a Darcy bid....... come on people. A top 3 talent or pick 18?

Stop being silly people.

Yeah I can't see either not matching.

However, in saying that, I can live with us getting Daicos instead of JHF, I would be less pleased with ending up with Darcy instead of him though.

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
We should absolutely bid on both Daicos and Darcy. Well maybe not so much on Darcy, but if Daicos is the best player, then we should go for him. It won't happen but imagine if the Pies couldn't match it?

Also by bidding on Daicos and the Pies match it, he takes the sometimes poisoned chalice of being the number 1 pick and by doing so, removes that expectation from Jason Horne Francis. As far as I am concerned, bidding on Daicos is a win-win situation whichever way you look at it.

Personally I don’t think he is the best player. Going by what Nobes has said, I think Jason is what we’re after anyway.

Secondly, I’m pretty sure JHF wants that expectation. He has said he wants to be numero uno.

Finally, I think for a ‘small’ club like ours, it’s great from a marketing perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
c) Sour grapes
d) All of the above

I believe Laura Kane has joined him there as well, and I can't see her being complicit to any of these reasons.

New one floating around the Richmond board…

Richmond get Pick 20
North get CCJ & Caddy (apparently we need goal kicking mids like Caddy)

🤣🤣🤣

Those are some rusty 29yo steak knives.

New one floating around the Richmond board…

Richmond get Pick 20
North get CCJ & Caddy (apparently we need goal kicking mids like Caddy)

🤣🤣🤣
Someone tell them we’ll take CCJ psd

and if they want us to take on caddy’s wage then they can give us a pick or straight swap Polec

We should absolutely bid on both Daicos and Darcy. Well maybe not so much on Darcy, but if Daicos is the best player, then we should go for him. It won't happen but imagine if the Pies couldn't match it?

Also by bidding on Daicos and the Pies match it, he takes the sometimes poisoned chalice of being the number 1 pick and by doing so, removes that expectation from Jason Horne Francis. As far as I am concerned, bidding on Daicos is a win-win situation whichever way you look at it.
Unless the Pies don't match.

justroyal

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I still can't fathom the ire of Richmond supporters around CCJ.

Reading between the lines, it seems they're judging him on his potential value when other talls move on in a few years, not at the moment.

When you have

• A mechanism that allows him to go for nothing
  • Can't guarantee him more game time
  • Offering half the length of a contract he can get elsewhere

I'm not sure why he's owes them to the point he's should irresponsible over his future.

Also don't see why it's incumbent on us to satisfy a pick closer to or actually giving up 20.

Taking into account everything, I'm not sure how 38 isn't fair, IMO it's acceptable giving the circumstances when we could easily play hardball.

If you value a guy so close at pick 20, at his age, I'm not sure why you wouldn't make more of an effort to keep him? As we learnt
with Brown, you can't really ask the world when you've demonstrated you aren't keen for him to stay.

We're carrying a degree of risk with the length of the contract, so we've demonstrated we value what CCJ can bring. With that being said, if there is going to be protracted negotiations, I would be happy if we said thanks but no thanks.

Ah the joys of trade eon.

how much did we get for brown? You didn’t see us playing hardball for a KPF (one of the best in the leauge).
* I almost think 38 is too much for a 9 game 22 year old

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Unless the Pies don't match.

The reason the pies don’t have pick 2 this year is because they will match. They traded it thinking they’d be better. They’ve also already done media based upon Daicos nominating them in turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back