List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread II - IN: CCJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ah yes.

If X played for another club we would be laughing at his actual footballing ability. Loves to go hard, just ain't much of a footballer. We all know Tommy's limitations.
Whilst better, his production isn’t considerably better. TBF x is a ruck, not a fwd/ruck. We just have a pretty good incumbent

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's all about perspective, eh? Residents close to Punt Road would say early second rounder with four years in the system - I like your stand of 38 or the PSD, but it's just the latter gets talked about a whole lot more often than it actually occurs

It is about perspective & the reality is that a player that was selected pick 20 four years ago, is not retaining that value after only 9 games.

The precedence has been set in regards to players that are selected high & don't get games...

Dylan Stephens was Pick 5 in 2019 - Will he be traded for Pick 5?
Peter Wright was Pick 8 in 2014 - Traded for Fourth Round Pick
Jackson Hately was Pick 14 in 2018 - Walked to PSD
Jay Caldwell was Pick 11 in 2018 - Traded with Pick 44 & 74 for Pick 29 & Future Second
Aiden Bonar was Pick 11 in 2017 - Traded for Future Third Round Pick

Even Adam Cerra who was Pick 5 in 2017 & is a s***load better then CCJ - He's likely going to be traded for Pick 6.

Richmond fans reverting straight back to the biggest nuffs in the league after one year of missing finals is sooooooooo good.

JarOfConfidence

Team Captain
Feb 9, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is he though?
Seriously? Have you not been paying attention? Neither has done anything to suggest they might be a Goldy replacement. Both got major deficiencies ... that have been shown time and time again. X too often a headless chook who occasionally lays a big tackle. Campbell a great clubman who lacks class - and is at the end of his career. This kid has the size and smarts to be our next No.1 ruck - given a bit of time and patience to develop.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Seriously? Have you not been paying attention? Neither has done anything to suggest they might be a Goldy replacement. Both got major deficiencies ... that have been shown time and time again. X too often a headless chook who occasionally lays a big tackle. Campbell a great clubman who lacks class - and is at the end of his career. This kid has the size and smarts to be our next No.1 ruck - given a bit of time and patience to develop.
I think X is predominantly a ruck. His VFL form was fantastic and he deserved his shot however with Goldy in the side his role is different and on the face of it unnatural. CCJ probably is a better fwd but I don’t think he’s a better ruck. Im not saying I don’t want him I’m just saying I don’t think getting him is the big “coup” people think

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is about perspective & the reality is that a player that was selected pick 20 four years ago, is not retaining that value after only 9 games.

The precedence has been set in regards to players that are selected high & don't get games...

Dylan Stephens was Pick 5 in 2019 - Will he be traded for Pick 5?
Peter Wright was Pick 8 in 2014 - Traded for Fourth Round Pick
Jackson Hately was Pick 14 in 2018 - Walked to PSD
Jay Caldwell was Pick 11 in 2018 - Traded with Pick 44 & 74 for Pick 29 & Future Second
Aiden Bonar was Pick 11 in 2017 - Traded for Future Third Round Pick

Even Adam Cerra who was Pick 5 in 2017 & is a s***load better then CCJ - He's likely going to be traded for Pick 6.

I don't want to argue with you, because I like your work - Cerra is speculative (my sense is it will be pick 6 plus something) and Peter Wright is hardly analagous.

I guess I'm just cautioning against the common BF psychology which holds that our players are worth more than they really are (eg, we'll get some magical compensation for Shaun Atley), and opposition players are worth less than they are in the marketplace, because we'd like that to be the case. My hunch with CCJ (assuming he nominates North) is that there will be two pathways; we offer more than 38 and Richmond take the deal, or he his walked to the PSD after we've offered more than 38, and Richmond knock it back (similar to Carlton-GC re: Jack Martin)

let's see (and stay friends)

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
No way. 38 straight up surely is the max

I expect our 2022 ladder positions to be closer than this year and they'd have to gamble we don't go past them (we won't but gambling is fun). It's a small sweetener (I don't think we'll need it though).

tiltraise

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2008
arden street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
CCJ is almost ideal for us.

He is in the perfect age demographic and his ability to play forward (averaging 1.5 goals a game) as well as in the ruck lets us tick both boxes from a list point of view.

This would allow us to move on Campbell with Xerri moving to #2 ruck.

However those expecting to get him for a 3rd rounder are living in dream land.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't want to argue with you, because I like your work - Cerra is speculative (my sense is it will be pick 6 plus something) and Peter Wright is hardly analagous.

I guess I'm just cautioning against the common BF psychology which holds that our players are worth more than they really are (eg, we'll get some magical compensation for Shaun Atley), and opposition players are worth less than they are in the marketplace, because we'd like that to be the case. My hunch with CCJ (assuming he nominates North) is that there will be two pathways; we offer more than 38 and Richmond take the deal, or he his walked to the PSD after we've offered more than 38, and Richmond knock it back (similar to Carlton-GC re: Jack Martin)

let's see (and stay friends)

I suppose my point is, there is a much longer list of non best 22 players being traded for less then the pick that they were taken with, then vice versa. In fact I can't think of a scenario where a player has gone X pick, spent 4 years not being able to cement into the 22, and then was traded for X pick or better.

Personally I can't see us using the PSD, doesn't seem to be Noble's style. But equally, it's there & should be at least discussed to ensure we don't pay overs for a guy who is OOC. I actually think Pick 38 is reasonable considering that he is not best 22, uncontracted, far from a guarantee to play 100+ games & has had off-field issues.

I'll back in Brady, can't see him overpaying for potential tbh. Just think we will be a laughing stock (and rightly so) if it's Pick 20, considering the above.

We can still be friends (as long as you don't think I'm delusional enough to think we will get anything bar a bag of dirt compo for Atley)

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
CCJ is a significant upgrade on both X and Campbell as that ruck/forward to be fair.

If we lose Dumont via FA then they can have that pick or 38. Or PSD here we go.
X is still a baby in terms of ruckmen.
I predict there will be a few of us eating humble pie in a year or two.

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
David Noble dodging bullets like Keanu Reeves.

Also, clearly the definitions of the words 'enormous' and 'coup' have changed significantly so yeah, CCJ is an 'enormous coup'
Can confirm Sam has a solid understanding of the word coup it’s the word enormous that is problematic for him.
(I used to work with his ex)😉

Le Grille

Cancelled
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can confirm Sam has a solid understanding of the word coup it’s the word enormous that is problematic for him.
(I used to work with his ex)😉

It will probably be 38 with a favourable exchange of future picks to Richmond. We aren’t dicks, but we aren’t exactly going to favour Richmond either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back