Not open for further replies.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes.

I went down to the Rooshop this morning and got #14 on the back. She said "you like CCJ do you?" And I said "no, I'm a dumont fan." And she said "oh"

Looks like CCJ is taking Dumont's number because Eddie has CCJ's Richmond number.
Can't get better insight than that unless you can check if he has a loyalty card from the coffee cart.

Big year for Xerri coming up for sure
He was unstoppable in the VFL game vs * loved watching him, a real motivation factor having a spot he could get up for grabs

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
He’s contracted so he’s ok immediately. Got some work to do. I do like him. He’s aggressive. Might just snap CCJ in half at training.

Big query. I was fairly vocal about his limitations as a forward when the majority looked at his 2020 stats in isolation and thought there was a pinch-hitting forward in there.

Haven't written him off and love the BFNAAK aspect but he's pretty much the reason imo why we've gone after CCJ. If Xerri was locked into best 22 planning from 2024+ in the list manager's minds I'd think we'd be putting our attention elsewhere.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
He was unstoppable in the VFL game vs * loved watching him, a real motivation factor having a spot he could get up for grabs

He's a lion-hearted player but VFL can be flattering as we know. Campbell looks like Corey McKernan at that level himself.

He's a lion-hearted player but VFL can be flattering as we know. Campbell looks like Corey McKernan at that level himself.
Legit hahaha I keep reassuring myself with Xerri’s game against bris last year that he will get there

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Legit hahaha I keep reassuring myself with Xerri’s game against bris last year that he will get there

Was that the game he snaffled a couple of goals?

I just can't see a forward in there at all. There's been heaps of rucks at North I've seen at VFL level showing enough forward nouse to indicate they could go there part or fulltime (Petrie, Hale, McIntosh) and Comben now looks like he has 'it' too. Just can't see it for Tristan in that regard, reactions a little too slow, kicking bit too clunky and stiff.

He could maybe be a 1st ruck who goes down there and overpowers the odd opponent but that's about it as much as a forward goes I think. Goldie is actually far more of a natural forward imo fwiw.

Was that the game he snaffled a couple of goals?

I just can't see a forward in there at all. There's been heaps of rucks at North I've seen at VFL level showing enough forward nouse to indicate they could go there part or fulltime (Petrie, Hale, McIntosh) and Comben now looks like he has 'it' too. Just can't see it for Tristan in that regard, reactions a little too slow, kicking bit too clunky and stiff.

He could maybe be a 1st ruck who goes down there and overpowers the odd opponent but that's about it as much as a forward goes I think. Goldie is actually far more of a natural forward imo fwiw.
Yeah no I don’t see him as a forward, I meant showing it on a big stage. It’s really hard to get a look at our guys (Xerri & comben) because its such a small sample size of games we are just going off of the ‘if he does blah blah blah’

I think it will probably be a future 2nd or some shuffling of picks in and around the 2nd round.

PSD is highly unlikely and we think enough of him to offer a 4 year deal and Richmond thought enough to table 2 year so I don't think either club sees him around pick 38. My 2 c

I also don't think we will be in year 2 next year, our rebuild started a few years ago and we cleaned out dead wood last year to give some clear air to some of the younger players on the list. We have been fairly effective at the draft going back a few years now, and some of those key players that we invested in the pointy end of the draft are hitting that 50 game mark.
If CCJ comes we will have 4 players from the 2017 draft top 20.

Including rookies that would be 3 from 2016, 6 for 2017, 4 from 2018 and 4 from 2019 (tho Young was old for a draftee) and 6 from last year. At least 4 this year (2 MSD, 1 and 20) would give us at least 27 players and I didn't include Matt McGuiness who may still be there next year. Obviously that assumes we keep Hayden, Atu and any others who are OoC now. That is most of the list and doesn't include Buckets McKay (2015) and anyone else I've forgotten about.

Surely at that point the rebuild is done and its a matter of development of both the younger players and the game style with individual game plans and tactics. Its the core of a good side for the next 5 - 8 seasons. Sure there are list holes but we can focus on filling them now and not in a quick fix, trade someone in sort of way. We still have scope to draft and develop players in those spots as well as trading them in.

How real is the Coleman-Jones stuff and what are we likely to give up?

He hasn't asked for a trade yet, so he might stay at Richmond. They would have to move a long way from their current offer, you would think it unlikely given he wants to play ruck and they have two preferred ruckmen ahead of him who aren't anywhere near retirement age.

Richmond will ask for 20, we will likely offer 38, they can't threaten to send him to the PSD as it would just result in getting him for free instead. Best case scenario for Richmond would be to ask for a future second.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Yeah no I don’t see him as a forward, I meant showing it on a big stage. It’s really hard to get a look at our guys (Xerri & comben) because its such a small sample size of games we are just going off of the ‘if he does blah blah blah’

Good call. And Xerri might yet be a very good player for us. The fact he can find a lot of the ball at VFL level hints to a good tank and some smarts. He's strongly put together (not shredded by any means) but isn't some 200cm beanpole needing 5 years of Happy Meals to get up to weight.

Under a better regime with Noble, Blakey & Co and a directive to use his aggression to set the path for his ever improving midfield anything is possible.

Btw bit of background on Blakey in particular. For those that only know him as a guy who used to play for North and came from Sydney. The bloke was a fitness fanatic even amongst AFL fit players during his playing days. Boomer cites him as his role model for preparation and living an athletic lifestyle.

Blakey didn't (and still doesn't) have an ounce of fat on him. I remember laughing with a mate as Blakey ran past on a wing once "**** his CALVES are completely ripped". If he has any bearing on the squad's conditioning, they're in for one hell of a ride.

Good call. And Xerri might yet be a very good player for us. The fact he can find a lot of the ball at VFL level hints to a good tank and some smarts. He's strongly put together (not shredded by any means) but isn't some 200cm beanpole needing 5 years of Happy Meals to get up to weight.

Under a better regime with Noble, Blakey & Co and a directive to use his aggression to set the path for his ever improving midfield anything is possible.

Btw bit of background on Blakey in particular. For those that only know him as a guy who used to play for North and came from Sydney. The bloke was a fitness fanatic even amongst AFL fit players during his playing days. Boomer cites him as his role model for preparation and living an athletic lifestyle.

Blakey didn't (and still doesn't) have an ounce of fat on him. I remember laughing with a mate as Blakey ran past on a wing once "**** his CALVES are completely ripped". If he has any bearing on the squad's conditioning, they're in for one hell of a ride.
The whole changeover of the strength and conditioning team is very promising, all the players programs will change and they will be put under the hammer a lot more with no excuses. It holds us as a club and players more accountable.

Xerri has the best mentor in the AFL (Toddy) no doubt he has the talent and will grow, because he has the skill set to be a good if not great ruckman who will serve us well.

He is ruck or bust at this stage. As you said, there are attributes to work with.

CCJ thing has Balme flying in at the end with a bag a cash written all over it.
"yeah I never really wanted to leave Richmond, it's like my family here, blah blah blah"
Except he is not Dusty and probably won't be in their senior side of everyone is fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back