List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread II - IN: CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except JZ wasn't asked to play a different role - it was the last part of the ground he hadn't played poorly in and we had to find a spot for him as Captain.

He made a decent fist of it given he was on L plates but he is a not a quality or reliable defender and he is simply not part of the future of our backline if we are serious about progressing up the ladder.

Anyone using the metres gained or possession stats to promote JZ's ability to play in defence does not understand how stats are recorded in the age of kickouts outside the square.

I am not sure why this is such a big deal for mature age supporters - do we want to progress as a team off the bottom of the ladder or do we just want to find places to play certain players?

You are completely neglecting the fact he was hands down our best intercept player in the side all year. Perhaps he was sent down back because of this fact rather than we didn't have a spot elsewhere.

I'd be interested to let Zurhaar loose in the backline, so much about that kid reminds me of Archer. And he has been said to get more excited about the big tackles then goals.
This is not as silly as it sounds
We need to have a look at the whole squad and look at the player’s skills and be a bit creative position wise

I wouldn’t be surprised if we made one last play for Jake Kelly. He is the right age and would give us more depth down back. He is a proven lock down defender. Surely the Noble factor comes into play.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He's still a tweener at best, not really any taller than Bonar or Perez. And getting more mid sized defenders means pigeonholing Corr as a tall which I don't reckon we want to do.

Would rather give Clavarino a crack as a genuine tall, let him fight it out with J Walker.

Can't remember where it was mentioned in the media but I remember it being said that we like Comben as a potential defender.

Would think Larkey, CCJ/Goldy and Comben is too tall, especially when guys like Zurhaar, Cunners, Jed, Taylor and JHF can play tall too.

I could see him working as primarily an intercept marking tall. We know he has the dukes.

I'd be interested to let Zurhaar loose in the backline, so much about that kid reminds me of Archer. And he has been said to get more excited about the big tackles then goals.

Cam strikes me as a lead singer/lead guitarist type rather than the dude drumming or plucking the bass out back.

You lot are being a bit unimaginative re Cam to the backline
He is a quite a good footballer and currently goes missing a lot
Think about it

Can't remember where it was mentioned in the media but I remember it being said that we like Comben as a potential defender.

Would think Larkey, CCJ/Goldy and Comben is too tall, especially when guys like Zurhaar, Cunners, Jed, Taylor and JHF can play tall too.

I could see him working as primarily an intercept marking tall. We know he has the dukes.
I’ve heard this narrative from Riley Beveridge a few times, and it seems to have leaked onto here. I think it’s just a genuine mistake on his part: I don’t think CC has ever played in defence? Tbf he’s barely played at all, but he’s a ruck/fwd and always has been.

Zurhaar already played some defence early in the year when he - along with the rest of the side - was struggling for a touch.

He looked OK, but his real value is as a strike forward.

Match winner there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bet you still wonder how Wayne never won one between 1993 - 1999 ( ' 97 the exception )
I've heard some descriptions of the conversations he'd have with umpires on field and as a result I'm not that surprised.

Matthews never won one either. Either did Ablett. Probably those three are up there for greatest ever players.

They did all win the Players association MVP tho, along with Corza.

I’ve heard this narrative from Riley Beveridge a few times, and it seems to have leaked onto here. I think it’s just a genuine mistake on his part: I don’t think CC has ever played in defence? Tbf he’s barely played at all, but he’s a ruck/fwd and always has been.

Wouldnt be the first tall to have been swung around. I don’t think he plays unless either Goldy or CCJ are injured if he stays forward.

Seriously in the period 2018-2021 so 4 years he must've played < 20 games?

If he's played any defence in there it's been an inconsequential amount.

I get the lateral thinking thing with player positions but not with yet another guy who on the tiniest sample (because he's never able to get on the park) looks like a naturally talented key forward. You know - one of the hardest to find types of player there is.

Seriously in the period 2018-2021 so 4 years he must've played < 20 games?

If he's played any defence in there it's been an inconsequential amount.

I get the lateral thinking thing with player positions but not with yet another guy who on the tiniest sample (because he's never able to get on the park) looks like a naturally talented key forward. You know - one of the hardest to find types of player there is.
Exactly. You only swap tall forwards to the backline if they aren't showing anything or struggling for confidence. That's not Comben.

Why would you walk a player you can get with pick 38 into the PSD? Depending what Richmond are offered for Chol, they might want to trade for Tarrant instead which would make him even cheaper.

I disagree with his thoughts on pissing another club off with the PSD option. Clubs that are on the bottom should use every resource at their disposal to improve their list. I would expect no less of a club, ie Crows bent over GWS to get Hately last year in the PSD. Melbourne pissed us off with the Preuss trade, pissed us off with the Brown trade as well. We would still deal with them again if the need arises even if we would prefer not to.

We bent Collingwood over last year with the Stephenson trade, would they not deal with us again? I think their supporters rightfully bashed their own club for doing that trade, not that we took advantage of their predicament.

Cerra falling into the PSD is not very likely to happen, he has stated he wants to see Fremantle adequately compensated so a deal will get done wherever he goes, he would have to feel that Fremantle are being very unreasonable for him to be prepared to go into the PSD, not likely going to happen.

I think PSD is hit or miss, mostly miss, largely because the planets need to align in terms of having a good quality player available and be prepared to go into the PSD.

I am not sure if there is a good enough quality player available this year that is prepared to go into the PSD, or more importantly, are we aggressive enough to push someone to enter the PSD. I think if we could get someone who would demand a first round pick a financial incentive to go into the PSD instead of do a trade, I think we should take advantage of the situation. Last time we were in last spot was in the 1960s, hopefully we are nowhere near it any time in the foreseeable future. I think it would be a mistake not to leverage the position we are in to improve the list as much as humanly possible. If we are going to degrade ourselves in asking for a priority pick then you might as well piss someone off and utilise the PSD option as well. We are likely going to irritate 17 other clubs asking for a PP.

It pisses me off that teams can court a player when they’ve got fu** all to trade with. Cerra will accept Melbourne’s offer and Freo are backed into a corner. They accept an unders deal or let him walk.
They are referred to as tyre kickers.

If Melbourne are going to court a player with no capital to get the deal done then they are really doing a disservice to Cerra by even talking to him.

You are completely neglecting the fact he was hands down our best intercept player in the side all year. Perhaps he was sent down back because of this fact rather than we didn't have a spot elsewhere.

He averaged 7.38 marks per game, 13th in the comp. Harris Andrews was forth in the comp with 7.87, (less than one mark per two games more.) Darcy Moore was third on that list and averaged less than a mark a game more. Tom Stewart was at one and he had 8.9 per game. So Jack did okay on that front. Josh Rotham was second btw. He averaged 8.47 marks per game.

He was tenth in the comp for total marks. Aliir and Nick Haynes had one more mark for the whole season and they are considered elite so where does that leave Jack?

Wouldnt be the first tall to have been swung around. I don’t think he plays unless either Goldy or CCJ are injured if he stays forward.
If he's fit, he walks straight in to CHF for mine.

I think the worry is with his shocking injury history and we've drafted CCJ as cover, but if he's fit he definitely plays.

You lot are being a bit unimaginative re Cam to the backline
He is a quite a good footballer and currently goes missing a lot
Think about it

He is a good footballer.
He is a good forward.
A slow start to the year after injury interruptions last year does not equal "goes missing a lot" in my book.

I suspect most of the forward line went missing at the start of the year because:

1. They were learning how to be a forward line without Brown or a proper 2nd tall.
2. We could barely get the ball forward of centre without taking time to stop at various tourist attractions along the way.

We have 2 functional long term pieces in our forward line - it is insanity to suggest moving one of them. We moved JZ out of the forward line to make space for the superior CZ option.

Hopefully Belly is telling Melbourne to find a top 10 pick or fu** off.

He should also be telling mumma's boy Cerra to start negotiating with clubs who are prepared to deal properly or he'll find himself in the PSD.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
I always laugh at these Melbourne kids that wanna go home……whats happened to the Carlton property portfolio he’d been promised?

IF Carlton are struggling for cap space, and the Cerra-to-Melbourne talks stall due to a lack of draft capital...

THEN North Melbourne may be well positioned to cheaply pick up the Mitch McGovern contract and transform the out-of-sorts forward into a tall intercepting defender.

???

It would be a nice fit if he could be our key position swing man. BMac Corr Ziebs down back, Larks CCJ Zurhaar up forward and Charlie where ever the extra height is needed. It would give us a lot of flexibility in the key posts and in the ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back