List Mgmt. 2021 Trade Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

But the free agent must ask for a trade, he can’t just be a free agent, unless he and his manager try to force him to be a free agent.

I feel like I’m in the upside down.

he is restricted free agent.

There is a very big difference between a RFA and a FA. A lot of people have been calling him the latter.

If by 'plenty' you mean 'two in nine years', then yes, 'plenty' of RFA's are traded before compo picks are taken. And both were occasions where the compo pick wouldn't have been a top 10 pick, which hopefully you are unbiased enough to admit is unlikely to be the case if Merrett attempts to leave Essendon.

What you like dozens of Essendon fans before you aren't getting your head around is that if Merrett leaves, he'll leave to go to a contender. Not necessarily Port, maybe a team like Geelong or Melbourne or Richmond, but he's not going to Norf, if he goes he's going to want to go somewhere good. That means the contender is going to have a worse first round draft pick than what Essendon get from the compo pick. Clubs cannot trade you a pick that they do not have. It is very unlikely going to be in Essendon's best interest to 'force a trade'. If for some reason he asks to go to a team, that finishes below Essendon, then of course you match away and chase the better pick, but that's not very likely, is it?

And if you're hopeful that Merrett won't be the kind of guy that threatens to go to the draft, well that might be true now. But will it still be true if Essendon do match the deal and he's faced with the prospect of not getting to his club of choice even after publicly making the decision to leave, and likely facing down another 5 years of no success if he stays? If Essendon aren't going to show any good faith to Merrett, why should Merrett show any good faith to Essendon?

There have certainly been more than just those 2, they are just the more high profile ones. I can list these out but they are pretty easy to find.

I have always said it depends on what the compo pick is, if it isn't very low than Essendon will likely match any offer to force a trade. They aren't going to let their best player leave for pittance. Merrett is certainly worth more than a pick outside the top 10, if that's what you are saying?

Just so we are clear I absolutely think there is a risk that Z Merrett leaves us as an RFA, nor can I really blame him. If he wants a premiership he's unlikely going to get one with us in his career. I just think he will go to a contending club in Victoria, as opposed to going in intestate

What specifically is keeping him in Melbourne? Just curious. He's a country boy who boarded at Melbourne Grammar meaning he's not your typical Vic Metro Almond Latte Mummy's boy, he'd have a bit of spirit about him.

Side note, reckon Essendon have lost a bit of soul since leaving Windy Hill. Whilst the Hangar seems like a great facility, trudging out there in traffic every day must be soul destroying.

His mother is quite ill (with MS) and Zach has previously said publicly that he wants to remain in close vicinity to her. That's why think he will stay in Vic, not necessarily with us mind you.

Take with a grain of salt though. its not like a flight from Adelaide to Melbourne is long so it could mean nothing.

Correct.

Jacksons opportunities are much more limited than Zach's are though, he was kind of forced to take the WAFL opportunity as it was his best option.
But if say an Eagles hypothetically are clearly the best opportunity for a flag and what Merrett wants to achieve career wise, wouldn't he be forced to take it, exactly as much as Jackson was forced to be a WAFL player

Again as Schulzy said
If he opts to leave you're looking at a scenario where the compo pick will be better than any forced trade.

Just look at similar RFA (right use of term for you)

Dangerfield

There have certainly been more than just those 2.

Just so we are clear I absolutely think there is a risk that Z Merrett leaves us as an RFA, nor can I really blame him. If he wants a premiership he's unlikely going to get one with us in his career. I just think he will go to a contending club in Victoria, as opposed to going in intestate
Just go back to your own board. Trade period is another 6 months away. No body here cares about your opinion

There is a very big difference between a RFA and a FA. A lot of people have been calling him the latter.
He is a free agent and the context that you’ve used it, as in he would have to ask for a trade or “force” free agency is absolutely wrong.

As for your bit about there being a massive difference, again, you are wrong. In reality restricted free agents are actually free agents, and use free agency to seek out teams.
There have certainly been more than just those 2, they are just the more high profile ones. I can list these out but they are pretty easy to find.
Nah I’m going to ask you to list them.

But if say an Eagles hypothetically are clearly the best opportunity for a flag and what Merrett wants to achieve career wise, wouldn't he be forced to take it, exactly as much as Jackson was forced to be a WAFL player

Again as Schulzy said
If he opts to leave you're looking at a scenario where the compo pick will be better than any forced trade.

Just look at similar RFA (right use of term for you)

Dangerfield

I cant really make that call for Merrett I just go off what I see, I could be totally wrong but its good to have the discussion i think.

I definitely don't think Merrett would go to WA regardless of premiership chances, would be way too far away from his family. 5 hour flight and all. His chances of going to SA would be much stronger and it is much closer.

Re compo pick, it depends what it ends up being. Cant really comment on that without it being a specific number. All I can say is Essendon isn't going to let heir best player walk without getting significant value for him much like I don't think Port would either if they were in the same shoes.

He is very close to his mum who has MS but that didn't stop his brother moving to Perth to play wafl
Yes, he was quite open about it at a club function a couple of years ago. AFAIK she still has regular hospital visits to Geelong.
Port would be a good fit for him though no doubt

Just go back to your own board. Trade period is another 6 months away. No body here cares about your opinion
A bit rough.

It is a topic of conversation at the moment and this is a footy forum.

He has been far more respectful than the other guy.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

its a trade thread with the main topic being about our best player.........other Port forum members were happy to have me in here.

i'm not being hostile or rude.........unsure why you are?

Unsure why people get so emotional about hypothetical trade scenarios...

He is a free agent and the context that you’ve used it, as in he would have to ask for a trade or “force” free agency is absolutely wrong.

As for your bit about there being a massive difference, again, you are wrong. In reality restricted free agents are actually free agents, and use free agency to seek out teams.

Nah I’m going to ask you to list them.

By forced RFA I mean he would take himself to the draft if he didn't get what he wanted - maybe I used the wrong terminology.

I think you are right re the 2.

i must have been thinking of others that ended up going compo

Last edited:
Whilst Dodo is a dildo, the point does still stand, Merrett is Essendon's best player and them losing him would be disastrous for them in what has been a disastrous decade for them. Like Carlton, their late VFL/early AFL mystique as a great club has well and truly faded.
They will move heaven and earth to keep him. Unless they implode on field this year, I reckon he'll stay.

If we dont want opposition supporters on here we need to slap one of those tags on the thread like some other team boards do saying No Opposition Supporters.

Otherwise, as long as people are being respectful and debating the point I dont see an issue?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why some of the prayers here are so ******* grumpy about a discussion on a discussion forum. The people posting in here at the moment are being reasonable and bringing up fair points and some people here are like "hahaha go back to Russia".

In regards to the discussion, if Essendon could manage to convince Dunkley to come to them, would that change things? Is Dunkley worth the same to them as Merrett?

I don't know why some of the prayers here are so ******* grumpy about a discussion on a discussion forum. The people posting in here at the moment are being reasonable and bringing up fair points and some people here are like "hahaha go back to Russia".

In regards to the discussion, if Essendon could manage to convince Dunkley to come to them, would that change things? Is Dunkley worth the same to them as Merrett?

Dunkley and Merrett are different players so its hard to say. Dunkleys inside where Merrett is a user.

Are they worth the same? don't think so. Merrett is probably worth more just because he's statically better, that's not to say Dunkley wont be, he's a few years younger and still growing. He was rucking a year ago so who knows.

Getting Dunkley definitely fills some holes we have but losing Merrett would create some imo

The only free agents anyone cares about are Restricted Free Agents. He is, in AFL terms, a Free Agent and you’re playing silly semantic games.

The only free agents anyone cares about are Restricted Free Agents. He is, in AFL terms, a Free Agent and you’re playing silly semantic games.

Well i'm just saying how it is?

Free Agents and Restricted Free Agents have different mechanics.

I'm not what what semantics i'm playing by calling Merrett an RFA, which he is?

Dunkley and Merrett are different players so its hard to say. Dunkleys inside where Merrett is a user.

Are they worth the same? don't think so. Merrett is probably worth more just because he's statically better, that's not to say Dunkley wont be, he's a few years younger and still growing. He was rucking a year ago so who knows.

Getting Dunkley definitely fills some holes we have but losing Merrett would create some imo

Fair enough. I wonder if would it at least smooth over some public perception of losing Merrett though. Like Essendon come out of the trade period having lost Merrett but can still claim a win by having gained Dunkley.

As others have said bar a best 22 player demanding a trade for us, which I don't really see happening, I'm not sure how we get the draft capital to give Essendon what they want. Yes we could force a trade of one of those players but I think that's a risky move and can hurt the team morale / culture we've worked to build and I don't think we'd do it.

The only name that jumps out at me, unfortunately, is SPP. If - and this is purely hypothetical - the club decide they've had enough with him, similar to Wingard a few years back. Does SPP and probably a late teen pick get it done for Merrett? Given where Essendon are at I still reckon I'd rather a probably top 5 compo pick instead.

Fair enough. I wonder if would it at least smooth over some public perception of losing Merrett though. Like Essendon come out of the trade period having lost Merrett but can still claim a win by having gained Dunkley.

As others have said bar a best 22 player demanding a trade for us, which I don't really see happening, I'm not sure how we get the draft capital to give Essendon what they want. Yes we could force a trade of one of those players but I think that's a risky move and can hurt the team morale / culture we've worked to build and I don't think we'd do it.

The only name that jumps out at me, unfortunately, is SPP. If - and this is purely hypothetical - the club decide they've had enough with him, similar to Wingard a few years back. Does SPP and probably a late teen pick get it done for Merrett? Given where Essendon are at I still reckon I'd rather a probably top 5 compo pick instead.

hmmm

I remember there being some rumours some years back at SPP being a target of ours. We have been lacking a big bodied mid since Jobe retired. But Parish is starting to emerge as a decent clearance player so there could be hope!

Its hard to decide what the value is now as i'm not close to what SPP is doing. is he even in your best 22 atm?, I feel like I haven't seen him in ages? But at the end of the day Merrett is our best player. It would take significant compo (pick 5 might get it done, though id hope for lower) or a trade to get him to Port, I doubt Essendon would roll over on him to go for peanuts.

If we lose Zach we lose that kicking potency out of the midfield. Most of out other midfielders couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.

Next years draft is a mega draft for inside mids (hence why we didn't give our 2021 first for dunkley) so another very early pick might be good.

hmmm

I remember there being some rumours some years back at SPP being a target of ours. We have been lacking a big bodied mid since Jobe retired. But Parish is starting to emerge as a decent clearance player so there could be hope!

Its hard to decide what the value is now as i'm not close to what SPP is doing. is he even in your best 22 atm?, I feel like I haven't seen him in ages? But at the end of the day Merrett is our best player. It would take significant compo or a trade to get him to Port, I doubt Essendon would roll over on him to go for peanuts.

If we lose Zach we lose that kicking potency out of the midfield. Most of out other midfielders couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.

SPP is definitely still best 22 on talent. He has been away from the club for personal reasons. He returned last week and has been named for the Magpies this weekend so I would say he'll be back in in a couple of weeks.

The only reason I bring him up is because like most players that go on personal leave there's speculation it might've been disciplinary. If that was the case (and I don't know if it is) maybe the club could look at unloading him as we did with Wingard. Just hypotheticals though. I like SPP and I'm hoping he comes back, tears it up and makes himself untradeable.

If we were forced into a trade our options would be this years first plus nexts or one of those and a player. The players we could conceivably trade are Bonner, Bergman, Williams, Ladhams and Powell Pepper. I would argue that all of these players have a max value of a mid first rounder thus making the trade of a player redundant, may as well stick with the two firsts on offer.

So the biggest question Port really have is does Dodo match and if he does are we happy to lose two late first rounders, I think the answer is pretty clear this is up for debate of course but if Merret chooses us we will most likely get him seeing as how every free agent has gotten to their chosen destination.

SPP is definitely still best 22 on talent. He has been away from the club for personal reasons. He returned last week and has been named for the Magpies this weekend so I would say he'll be back in in a couple of weeks.

The only reason I bring him up is because like most players that go on personal leave there's speculation it might've been disciplinary. If that was the case (and I don't know if it is) maybe the club could look at unloading him as we did with Wingard. Just hypotheticals though. I like SPP and I'm hoping he comes back, tears it up and makes himself untradeable.

yeah agree

long way to go in the season so anything's possible.

Id suggest Merrett is also gaging us to see which way we are headed, us continuing to play good footy will go a long way to him deciding to stay, if we play s**t footy and he has no hope in the direction he will leave.

Don't death ride us though!

No way we trade for Merrett. He's not the missing link for us. We already have a list capable of contending. He'll be free or he'll head elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back