List Mgmt. 2021 Trade Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

If we were forced into a trade our options would be this years first plus nexts or one of those and a player. The players we could conceivably trade are Bonner, Bergman, Williams, Ladhams and Powell Pepper. I would argue that all of these players have a max value of a mid first rounder thus making the trade of a player redundant, may as well stick with the two firsts on offer.

So the biggest question Port really have is does Dodo match and if he does are we happy to lose two late first rounders, I think the answer is pretty clear this is up for debate of course but if Merret chooses us we will most likely get him seeing as how every free agent has gotten to their chosen destination.

in this scenario, it would also depend on the compo offer - if we get a compo offer of a pick 1-5 than we would probably take that over any player or trade you could offer. It would just be the cap space you would need to allow for.

Ladhams and Powell Pepper have the greatest value. Late first rounder value.

Bergman if he plays 15 games plus this year might be of late first round value but isn't yet. Exposed form is better than Potential.

Bonner is 2nd round value.

Williams hasn't shown dick yet so not sure he's worth a lot.

Well i'm just saying how it is?

Free Agents and Restricted Free Agents have different mechanics.

I'm not what what semantics i'm playing by calling Merrett an RFA, which he is?
The only difference is you get to choose compo pick or force a trade if the trade doesn't go through it goes to mediation if mediation fails the player can stay at the club for the matched salary or go to the draft. I'm fairly confident that essendon will take the compo given that he took the daniher compo.

The only difference is you get to choose compo pick or force a trade if the trade doesn't go through it goes to mediation if mediation fails the player can stay at the club for the matched salary or go to the draft. I'm fairly confident that essendon will take the compo given that he took the daniher compo.

It's a pretty important difference...

Yep id suggest we take the compo too - pending what it is.

Ladhams and Powell Pepper have the greatest value. Late first rounder value.

Bergman if he plays 15 games plus this year might be of late first round value but isn't yet. Exposed form is better than Potential.

Bonner is 2nd round value.

Williams hasn't shown dick yet so not sure he's worth a lot.
I completely agree with your analysis i said the max value that the potential players we would conceivably trade would be a mid first rounder.

No way we trade for Merrett. He's not the missing link for us. We already have a list capable of contending. He'll be free or he'll head elsewhere.

I feel this should be the only contribution to this topic and all else is just bluster.

reading the Merrett thread, where was i when Ess turned a corner? all of a sudden if they keep playing the way they are he wont leave anyway?
What have i missed?

The bar set by the supporters is much lower than that of the players, strangely.

reading the Merrett thread, where was i when Ess turned a corner? all of a sudden if they keep playing the way they are he wont leave anyway?
What have i missed?

who said that in here?

Merrett might think if we keep playing the way we are than there's definitely a chance he gets the positive vibes to stay but lets be frank. We aint winning anything for some time. It will be up to him if he goes to a ready to go premiership contenting team or be willing to wait another 2-3 years for us.

He will get his money in either scenario.

Last edited:
What have i missed?
I think under the Worsfold era even the fans were getting sick of seeing the same old spuds gifted games each week and the club stupidly clinging to this hope of sneaking into 8th. Finally the club has decided to go a different way and I’m seeing some things I like with Rutten. Great that kids are getting a go to and with another debutant this week that will be 3 of last years picks playing. If Merrett can see glimpses of something and that we perhaps might be half decent in the next year or two then he might be tempted to stay. We have a few big blowouts and he is on his bike IMO

Ladhams is very tradable. There’s barely a team that wouldn’t want a mobile ruck/forward with his potential and he’s got the combination of being replaceable and potentially never living up to his potential. Clubs like Gold Coast, St Kilda, GWS and Brisbane probably need someone like him far more than they need another first round draft pick.

I want his year to take a different path but I’m open minded if a team comes with a too good to refuse offer.

Ladhams is very tradable. There’s barely a team that wouldn’t want a mobile ruck/forward with his potential and he’s got the combination of being replaceable and potentially never living up to his potential. Clubs like Gold Coast, St Kilda, GWS and Brisbane probably need someone like him far more than they need another first round draft pick.

I want his year to take a different path but I’m open minded if a team comes with a too good to refuse offer.

At absolute worst Ladhams is insurance that we will need as soon as we trade him out. Or he becomes the missing piece at another club that goes on to derail our season at a later date. Ladhams is under contract we are not desperate for cap space and he wants to be at Port Adelaide.

We will never be offered a trade (ie a top ten pick) that would make it a good idea to trade him.

Ladhams is here until he is out of contract and wants to leave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We aren't getting anything special while he's out of form and if he does get back to 2020 form, trading him wouldn't make sense.

So trade ladhams? Lycett nearing the end and hayes who I really rare but still untested.
Yep smart

Lycett is 28 dude lol

With Hayes showing good form and ruckman looking less effective under the new rules it would have made alot of sense. It did at the time, and now it makes even more sense with the rule changes.

Should’ve put Ladhams on the table last year. Sell high before the w***er factor drops his value...
I guess we couldn’t have used the picks last year anyway. Either Essendon would have demanded them for Fantasia or the Jones bid would have swallowed them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back