List Mgmt. 2021 Trade Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

I have heard that Merrett is all but done already. Kinda confirms things spoken about in this thread. Will play it out for Ess and not sign a new deal and come across.

Kind a neat transition out of Rockliff.
If this is the case, he would be a great get.
gbear either way it's important to remember that over the years Wenger has a track record of not Arsene about.

i'll get my coat

Last edited:

I have heard that Merrett is all but done already. Kinda confirms things spoken about in this thread. Will play it out for Ess and not sign a new deal and come across.

Kind a neat transition out of Rockliff.

So it's "shovel ready" - we just have to shovel the $$$ into his, and his manager's bank accounts?

And to mangle another metaphor, maybe our dealings with China have taught us to play the long game, and recruiting Orazio was just the lure, a stable pony to keep Zach happy...

Is Merrett an RFA this year?

ZACH MERRETT (Essendon) [restricted]

The 25-year-old didn’t want to move this year, but he’s set to be one of the biggest names of the 2021 trade period.

Even with the Bombers making it clear they wouldn’t be sending out their young superstar this year, Carlton, Hawthorn and Port Adelaide all had some interest, Foxfooty.com.au’s Tom Morris reported on On the Couch.

The Blues are perhaps the most interesting name of that group, given they landed Adam Saad and Zac Williams this past trade period and had a bit more room in their salary cap left. It wasn’t enough space to nab Merrett now, but they’ll have enough to make a big bid in 2021.

“Put this in your time capsule. I think Carlton is locked and loaded, and will throw the kitchen sink at Zach Merrett as a free agent next year,” Herald Sun reporter Jay Clark said on Trade TV last week.

“I think they’re largely pretty pleased with getting Saad and Zac Williams, to add some speed and outside run.

“I just wonder now whether the main focus is on Zach Merrett on a million dollars a year as a free agent, who would come for nothing at the end of next year.

“He would be the perfect Robin to Patrick Cripps’ Batman.”

Oh yeah, if true we’d have to deal with the Dodo.
He’d want all of Butters, Rozee and Dursma and a first round pick for Merrett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can bet he'll match any offer we put to Zach.

Depends where Essendon finish. If they're bottom 4 and the compo pick is gonna be a top 5 pick, he'd be silly to match. We wouldn't be able to give them more than that for him if we wanted to.

Depends where Essendon finish. If they're bottom 4 and the compo pick is gonna be a top 5 pick, he'd be silly to match. We wouldn't be able to give them more than that for him if we wanted to.
What do you mean

Butters, Wines and Rozee for Merrett and a 3rd rounder is better than a top 5 pick in dodos eyes

You can bet he'll match any offer we put to Zach.
As posted already, hopefully they are bottom 4. A top 5 pick is more valuable then anything we'd offer, best we'd do would be very late teens this year and next but you know Dodo will want a top 10 and Butters.

Make our best offer and let Dodo know its pick 5 (assumed compo) or he goes in the PSD, we wont get him, but they lose him for nothing.

As posted already, hopefully they are bottom 4. A top 5 pick is more valuable then anything we'd offer, best we'd do would be very late teens this year and next but you know Dodo will want a top 10 and Butters.

Make our best offer and let Dodo know its pick 5 (assumed compo) or he goes in the PSD, we wont get him, but they lose him for nothing.

If North finish bottom (or any other Melbourne side) it will add an interesting twist too.

Hopefully they will but would he be interested in going there knowing it’ll be years before they contend? I’m only guessing but apart from coin we’d be an attractive destination in terms of competing over the next few years.
Hopefully they will but would he be interested in going there knowing it’ll be years before they contend? I’m only guessing but apart from coin we’d be an attractive destination in terms of competing over the next few years.
Nah want them to finish around the 15-14 range so they don’t get Horne,sonsie or sinn

not sure how i feel about this.....

C4[2]Yo`DooR

"Port throwing all sorts of crazy money at Merrett to sway him.

Will make him the highest paid player on their list by a long way, and one of the highest paid in the comp for the next two years.

In the event that he doesn’t stay loyal to Essendon, that deal will take some beating.

It’s strange that these types of conversations are now happening even before the season starts - scary path we are heading down."
The left footer in the guts I suggested a few months we need to get in there and mix things up.

When I wrote about it I talked about the 3 or 4 players the Bulldogs have in there and said it would be good to get one of them. The bulldogs game against us in 2020 it stood out how effective they were as dominate left sided players mainly at centre bounces but also at other stoppages.

Merrett would be a good get. Pity he is closer to 180cm than 190cm like the Bulldogs lefties.

Last edited:
At the Big Footy focus group with Richo, CD and Steve Shirley in December, CD made it clear we would be targetting at least one Free Agent and he said we have the cap space with underspends accumulated

Merrett isn't slow and has more of an outside game than Rockliff, uses the ball better too. I think he'd be a big upgrade.
Merrets best work is the transition inside 50, I have wanted zach for quite some time, if we could get him it would be incredible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back