List Mgmt. 2021 Trade Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Have we still got 8 players uncontracted? Motlop, Mayes, Lienert, Woodcock, McEntee, Mead, Burgoyne, Schofield?

We've already lost Ladhams, Hammer, Rockliff, Garner and Goldsack. We've brought 1 player in, so we still gotta draft 4 players without delisting anyone.

Have we still got 8 players uncontracted? Motlop, Mayes, Lienert, Woodcock, McEntee, Mead, Burgoyne, Schofield?

We've already lost Ladhams, Hammer, Rockliff, Garner and Goldsack. We've brought 1 player in, so we still gotta draft 4 players without delisting anyone.
Yeah but you're not going to believe who slid to pick 74.

We just join the increasing list of post covid debt ridden clubs that will be reliant on AFl distributions. 75 percent of the league are debt ridden so its the new norm.
Where does all the tv money go? The club's need to all join together and stand up for a bigger slice of the pie.

+ Our stadium deal is ****ed... We might as well upgrade Alberton

Bookmark this post

I truly believe Jackson Mead is the type of player we were all craving for us to get in this trade period. We had him all along and he is going to have a massive impact in 2022

I must say, let's be Devils advocate here for a bit. Every year we have brought in one or many players from other clubs, whilst great on paper and and have performed to different standards, it hasn't taken us to the next level.

So perhaps the club has decided to back in the players developing to make that difference whilst the older players hold their form! My only concern, i'd have hoped for more internal coaches to aid that development perhaps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must say, let's be Devils advocate here for a bit. Every year we have brought in one or many players from other clubs, whilst great on paper and and have performed to different standards, it hasn't taken us to the next level.

So perhaps the club has decided to back in the players developing to make that difference whilst the older players hold their form! My only concern, i'd have hoped for more internal coaches to aid that development perhaps

If you really look at the years post "big" trades it takes a year after for the team to gel to the new player.

Ryder recruited in 14, sat out 15, full season 16, All Australian 17

Rockcliff recruited in 17 had up and down season, 18 playing sanfl here and there. Peaked 19/20

Dixon recruited 15 30 goal season, 16 49 goal season, 17 consecutive 20+ games 17/18. All Australian 2020

There are players who had amazing first seasons: Jury out on fantasia if he had a successful season aliir indeed did. Matt White Polecat did aswell

But i agree this off season is backing in what we have

So then why didn't we tell Sydney to pound sand like GWS did to Essendon with Bobby Hill?

My philosophy on drafting and trading is pretty simple:

1. Hit in the first round every single year. If you're iffy that the draft pick you have will allow you to do that, do whatever it takes to make sure you get into a position where you know you have a sure thing. (See: Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Bergman, Georgiades, Jones vs Moore, Butcher, Pittard)

2. Target drafts that are strong and skip ones that are weak with your second and third round picks. Strong draft? Try to get as many first round picks as you can by trading away picks from weak drafts to build currency in a strong draft.

2. Use development to turn late picks/rookie picks into better draft picks or at least use them to upgrade current draft picks (see the trades we did with Austin, Howard, Ladhams).

I go to what Colin Cowherd said about the Dallas Cowboys this week:

"One of the things the NFL has a huge advantage of over the other sports in America...and this is why they kind of keep pulling away from other sports...is that you can go from really okay to really exceptional very fast. It takes a couple of draft picks. And in the last two years, Dallas has hit on four draft picks, each in a different unit. CeeDee Lamb last year - home run, wide receiver. Trayvon Diggs last year - one of the best corners in the game. Micah Parsons, line backer unit. And then Osa Odighizuwa from UCLA, defensive line - has been an absolute home run. Four separate units have added an inexpensive star - and these guys are stars, these are elite players.

When you add that to a good roster - it's a great team. And Dallas is now embarking on that. In baseball, a great draft pick goes to the minors. In basketball, a great draft pick, you can't win with kids. You can in the NFL. In fact, you need great young players to offset your expensive quarterback, that's the way the league works."

If you look at Melbourne’s premiership team, it was literally built on making sure they hit on first round picks. Petracca, Oliver, Salem, Brayshaw, Jackson, Pickett, Lever (cost them two firsts to get), May (cost them Hogan who was a mini draft pick).

That’s why first round picks are like rolled gold and why moving up the order will always cost you. It’s also why ex first round picks retain their value - see Jordan Clark.
Your first point outlines the clubs trading strategy. They’ve been doing this now for 4 or 5 years.
There are numerous examples of it.
They’ve also referenced it themselves.

I reckon in a perfect world they wanted ladhams to go to stkilda and for a similar trade to what we did with Sydney take place.
That is pick 9 and a future third for ladhams and 16.

Get annoyed by people saying we should have played Hayes. He wasn't ready. Another preseason and he will be. His B&F indicates he was close. But I don't see him working in tandem with Lycett- it will be one or the other.
I love Ladhams more than anyone on this board but the game vs the Bulldogs mid-year was the perfect opportunity. No Martin or English, from memory their ruckman was playing his 3rd game. Never was there a better opportunity to blood an untried ruckman, yet for whatever reason they played Ladhams... I dunno

We won't delist another 5 players. Don't have enugh picks to accommodate the roster spaces for them this year.

So we may be playing a couple of list spots short - or going for several rookie picks instead of main list picks.
To save money.

Cos we've gone from having a gigantic war chest that enabled us to offer Merrett a bong of a deal for 2 months ago, then delisting Hammer and Rocky on big coin, and miraculously in the space of no time at all, lost the entire kaboodle of cash we had! :drunk::drunk::drunk::rolleyes::huh:

Doesn't pass the pub test IMHO.

Will our supreme commanders ever tell us the real reasons?

Yeah. This really isn't the disaster is being made out to be. The only way this bites us is if Ladhams goes onto be a star and/or Hayes is dud at AFL level.

At this point, it bites us the moment Hayes or Lycett get injured.

In the end it was a shitty trade by the club. Sydney's 3rd round next year will be a pick around 50 give or take a couple of picks.

Its irrelevant what other players were traded for to other clubs eg CJC or Clarke. Just because you have a bigger and better house than someone else a few suburbs away, doesn't mean you will sell your house for more than the other bloke. It all depends which buyer you attract to which house, how much they each have to spend, and how much they want to spend, and how desperate you both are to sell. That's the free market.

I wonder if CD deliberately talked up Ladhams knowing he was going to want to leave and tried to con other sides that we wanted top $$ for him?

If Party Pete has as many problems off field with attitude issues as has been alluded to here, then the industry would know and no amount of talking up was going to convince anyone to pay top dollar for him. The AFL is a mate, mate, lets talk some gossip type industry. Look at how much gossip C4 puts on to Big Footy - not just the Port board.

So CD ends up looking stupid, but if Sydney and Hawthorn know he has big issues, CD was never going to be able to bury them like the Hawks did with Jonathan Hay and Nathan Thompson's and their depression issus back around 2004 and 2005 drafts and extract maximum value for them, but those players didn't deliver maximum output post trades, because of those depression issues.

Plus getting the Finlayson deal done, gave it away that there wasn't enough room for Ladhams. We didn't draft Finlayson, probably on $400k, to play all year in the SANFL, and not also play Dixon, Marshall, Georgides and Lycett. So Sydney would have said to CD, don't BS us, we know you wont play him much next year, maybe 10 games and you are stuck paying him $400k, so effectively another $30k+ each game on top of his standard match payments.

Anyway Party Pete wont be short of party's to attend in the eastern suburbs. For reasons, partly real estate values, I see him more as a Maroubra rather than Bondi type of guy, just different types of parties.

So then why didn't we tell Sydney to pound sand like GWS did to Essendon with Bobby Hill?

My philosophy on drafting and trading is pretty simple:

1. Hit in the first round every single year. If you're iffy that the draft pick you have will allow you to do that, do whatever it takes to make sure you get into a position where you know you have a sure thing. (See: Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Bergman, Georgiades, Jones vs Moore, Butcher, Pittard)
Let me get this straight. you're arguing that you should go hard to get as early as possible in the first round...

And your evidence is:
Rozee (top 10 pick)
Butters (10-20)
Duursma (10-20)
Bergman (10-20)
Georgiades (10-20)
Jones (10-20)

vs
Moore (top 10 pick)
Butcher (top 10 pick)
Pittard (10-20).

Looks like we were more succssful when we didn't push to get as early as possible.

In fact, Bergman was the result of sliding a pick backwards in the Howard trade. And of course that slide meant we missed out of Kossie Pickett, who was taken with our original pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back