List Mgmt. 2021 Trade Targets

Imagine trying to raid a teams depth that we beat by 50 points away from home whilst in 2nd gear.
Ordinarily I'd agree with this, but Gold Coast is such a development black hole that I think it's worth making an exception. Plenty of players around the league who failed there but have made it elsewhere. One of them has been our starting full back for the last few weeks.

Tredrea_Wanganeen_Gray

Team Captain
Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ordinarily I'd agree with this, but Gold Coast is such a development black hole that I think it's worth making an exception. Plenty of players around the league who failed there but have made it elsewhere. One of them has been our starting full back for the last few weeks.

Correct me if I'm wrong but McKenzie was never depth. He missed games due to injury but seemed to always be in their side when he was healthy.

Correct me if I'm wrong but McKenzie was never depth. He missed games due to injury but seemed to always be in their side when he was healthy.
Nah, McKenzie played plenty of NEAFL.

Tredrea_Wanganeen_Gray

Team Captain
Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Yeah fair enough. He still played 100+ games for them. He has yet to establish himself in our 22 over 4 years too (whether we think that is fair or not- he's in my 22).
Just think targeting depth guys from other clubs (especially no hope clubs) is the wrong move.

Not that much. It was his last year at GC after a few years of injury catching up that he got stuck in the NEAFL.

I asked my brother inlaw on the GC when we were chasing him about his form, and he said his last 2 years he was mainly either injured or playing NEAFL, but before that he was rarely dropped. He was confident that if Port could fix his body he would play AFL footy for us.

1624238417136.png

Kamdyn Mcintosh? He's an unrestricted free agent who might get priced out of Richmonds list.

God no... he is a very ordinary footballer and I continue to be amazed how he gets games for Richmond. On top of that he fills no glaring need on our list.

We don't need "depth".

If you trade, it's for first 22 players - and probably top 5 or 6 on the roster.

That isn't really true - depends on value.

I'd get Will Brodie in a heart beat - he would give Drew a run for his money in our midfield and would cost very little in terms of trade currency - possibly nothing other than cap space.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In what way would Brodie, a failing player at gcs who has played 3 bad games at Gold Coast this year and has shown zero improvement since being drafted (if anything he’s gone backwards) and can’t even attract enough interest from one of the 10 teams from his hometown going to “give drew a run for his money”?

Drews so far ahead of him this comparison is insulting.

If Brodie was an out of contract delisted player you could rookie list you might get him to give Sam mayes a run for his money, and I wouldn’t be confident he could do that.

Brodie is the dictionary term of vanilla. If he wasn’t a 188cm (approx?) early draft pick he would have been cut already. Could a team maybe turn him into okay depth? Maybe. I don’t think any team has been that keen hence why he’s spent years playing neafl on the Gold Coast. We’re probably the best chance of turning him into something to be honest, but I don’t think that level we could turn him into is worth the trouble.

In what way would Brodie, a failing player at gcs who has played 3 bad games at Gold Coast this year and has shown zero improvement since being drafted (if anything he’s gone backwards) and can’t even attract enough interest from one of the 10 teams from his hometown going to “give drew a run for his money”?

Drews so far ahead of him this comparison is insulting.

If Brodie was an out of contract delisted player you could rookie list you might get him to give Sam mayes a run for his money, and I wouldn’t be confident he could do that.

Brodie is the dictionary term of vanilla. If he wasn’t a 188cm (approx?) early draft pick he would have been cut already. Could a team maybe turn him into okay depth? Maybe. I don’t think any team has been that keen hence why he’s spent years playing neafl on the Gold Coast. We’re probably the best chance of turning him into something to be honest, but I don’t think that level we could turn him into is worth the trouble.

What is Drew if it isn't vanilla? I agree that his trajectory is at least on the right path, but he's only ever going to be a role player, never a core player for a contender. I thought it was staggering he was picked at the start of this season ahead of Rockliff, who was fresh off his best season for Port.

The SUNS obviously prefer Greenwood, Miller and when fit, Rowell as the inside players. I doubt there have been no suitors for Brodie's services, but I wouldn't know and perhaps you do.

rainwizard39

Club Legend
Aug 20, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Brodie would be better then Drew if drafted by us. GCS are horrible at developing players. They draft a mid every year and hope they’re better then then the guys they got the year before.

Brodie would be better then Drew if drafted by us. GCS are horrible at developing players. They draft a mid every year and hope they’re better then then the guys they got the year before.

I think you are likely right. He's a strange case Brodie, because he can accumulate. Perhaps it is an attitude issue.

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast had 4 top 10 picks in 2016. Ainsworth, Scrimshaw, Brodie and Bowes. They basically gave Scrimshaw away to Hawthorn and now he is very good. Ainsworth and Bowes are playing B's for Gold coast. Bowes is playing well as a half back flank. Gold Coast destroy players careers! I think its too late for brodie and Ainsworth. Maybe we should look at Flanders (who is looking terrible for gold coast) and Sharp who are coming out of their first contract. Its a shame the afl keep wasting draft picks on gold coast without fixing their development.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What is Drew if it isn't vanilla? I agree that his trajectory is at least on the right path, but he's only ever going to be a role player, never a core player for a contender. I thought it was staggering he was picked at the start of this season ahead of Rockliff, who was fresh off his best season for Port.

The SUNS obviously prefer Greenwood, Miller and when fit, Rowell as the inside players. I doubt there have been no suitors for Brodie's services, but I wouldn't know and perhaps you do.

Drew isn’t at all vanilla.

picking him in the side over Rockliff was a great decision and it became apparent it was the right choice to even the most sceptic supporters in round 2 much less now.

I say Brodie has had no serious suitors, cause if he did he wouldn’t have been playing neafl for 2 seasons.

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Man City, NY Jets

Didn't you just call Burgman Vanilla? Boy-o-boy... What do you see as Vanilla? Do you mean White? Because Drew is definitely a White footballer. Drew is our best Centre Square midfielder, our best Tackler, Best defensive midfielder and has Exceptional skills by hand. Do you mean one paced? Because Drew is definitely one paced.

Going by what I assume your definition of a Vanilla footballer is, Simon Black was an ordinary footballer. Michael Wilson was lucky to be surrounded by so many stars, s**t Matthew Lloyd got very lucky Sheedy was a star...

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Man City, NY Jets
The same Brodie who took 5 years to drop the puppy fat, he would rival Jimmy Toumpas' Time Trial records...

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
Ben Ainsworth hasn’t come on like he should have at Gold Coast but would be an upgrade on McEntee/Jones/no-one as a pressure forward. A preseason learning to bust his arse training with Motlop would do him a world of good.

I could live with trading a future first for Gold Coast’s pick 19 (start of 2nd round priority pick) and a salary cap dump of Fiorini/Ainsworth.

Brodie I wouldn’t go near at all.

Back