List Mgmt. 2021 Trade Targets

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Correct. Essendon will not let him go without a fight. I'm just thinking of scenarios that could potentially work in a trade situation. Ladhams is about the only player that we'd trade that has significant currency. People get confused between FA and RFA. Merrett is RFA. Essendon can and will match.
the compo pick they would get would be better than your trade suggestion.. band 1, which is certainly what Merrett would attract, would be a pick after dons pick. That’s currently pick 8.

the dons have drafted a raft of talls recently. Ladhams wouldn’t interest them that much especially to warrant giving up another top 10 pick.

there’s a massive chance for the dons to market having back to back top ten picks a second year running to their fan base.

we don’t have the ability to offer them 2x 1st rounders (which arguably isn’t better than a top 10 pick anyway) and there’s no way they try to match and force us to trade a player like duursma / butters unless they’ve already got the player to agree to it. Which they would have Buckley’s chance of doing.
There’s just no way port could offer better than the compo pick in a trade unless dons get a gun youngster to request a trade.

Question, regarding the rule that you have to use a 1st round draft pick in the draft at least once every two years... does that count if we only got into the first round via the Academy points pick of Lachie Jones in 2020? We didn't use a "true" first round pick. So does that mean our first rounder in 2021 is untradeable?

it counts where they were taken, regardless of whether it was bid match nga or whatever.

also it wasn’t two years, it was three or four from memory. I think 4, and even then it’s a pretty loose rule. One team already got a pass to ignore it.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Also just saying but I'd rather keep Ladhams. He's still a baby at top level with the amount of games in him and this is his first down period. People writing him off already is just stupid when this is a player who's shown he can get midfield numbers playing in the ruck in AFL footy.
This "midfield numbers" thing is so overblown. He has three games with 20+ disposals. Lycett had 5 in his first season at Port (thats 18 games) for comparing with Ladhams 19 career games.

In 2019 he averaged 14.6 disposals in his games mainly against teams lacking ruckmen. Lycett averaged 15.8 that year.

2020, he averaged mid 13s, Lycett averaged mid 11s.

This year Lycett has 16.6 disposals per game.

Is Lycett getting "midfield numbers"?

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There was some mention on BF a few days ago that Tredders had stated that one of our players has got his papers stamped by the club, could this player be Ladhams due to his indescretions?
Before this week might've suggested Sam Powell-Pepper but with the way Tommy Jonas was talking about him, it sounds like everyone can't wait to get him back in the seniors.

I doubt we'd have the club captain out talking up his return if we'd stamped his papers.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just on the solo ruck discussion, Dixon looked OK in the middle last week. I'm thinking that now we have other forward targets he'll be able to compete there more because he doesn't have to be a cross country runner anymore.

Winganeen

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just on the solo ruck discussion, Dixon looked OK in the middle last week. I'm thinking that now we have other forward targets he'll be able to compete there more because he doesn't have to be a cross country runner anymore.

Dixon in the ruck really stamps my papers! Just increases the likelihood of injury

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
There was some mention on BF a few days ago that Tredders had stated that one of our players has got his papers stamped by the club, could this player be Ladhams due to his indescretions?
Thought that he was hinting that this will be Rockliff's last year

Imhotep

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Question, regarding the rule that you have to use a 1st round draft pick in the draft at least once every two years... does that count if we only got into the first round via the Academy points pick of Lachie Jones in 2020? We didn't use a "true" first round pick. So does that mean our first rounder in 2021 is untradeable?
No it's Definitely tradeable.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Essendon wouldn't want Ladhams because aside from Draper, they also have Peter Wright who's effectively a Ladhams clone with more runs on the board. Cannot see who we'd be willing to part ways with to get Merrett here if Essendon match.
As we've seen recently plenty of clubs want rucks. It's almost become accepted practice now to be willing to pay a premium for them at 23-25, as it's offset by not having to have carried them for 3 - 6 years on your list where they've just taken up a spot whilst developing. If Essendon didn't want Ladhams I could see another club offering a late first, which we could on-trade with our first to Essendon.

Of course Essendon having Dodo, I'd rather see them get 2/5ths of bugger all for Merrett. Plus I'd like to keep Ladhams, so we have Hayes and Ladhams post Lycett, but Ladhams for Merrett gives us a team with a midfield able to contend the next 2 - 3 years, even if Boak and/or Robbie retires. Ladhams is not going to get us closer to a flag in 2022-2024 then Merrett would. Post 2024 we may have drafted or traded in another ruck or ruck/forward.

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
"Nooooo ... This is how you do a line!"
70852C05-2827-4D40-8F64-DDECA49913A6.jpeg

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This "midfield numbers" thing is so overblown. He has three games with 20+ disposals. Lycett had 5 in his first season at Port (thats 18 games) for comparing with Ladhams 19 career games.

In 2019 he averaged 14.6 disposals in his games mainly against teams lacking ruckmen. Lycett averaged 15.8 that year.

2020, he averaged mid 13s, Lycett averaged mid 11s.

This year Lycett has 16.6 disposals per game.

Is Lycett getting "midfield numbers"?
Disagree

ladhams spends a lot less time in the ruck to collect those touches. You’re comparing lycett who spends 90-95% of his time in the ruck to a guy who rucks for 5-10% of the time.

He’s a genuine ball magnet for a ruckman when on the ball.

he has no idea how to play as a kf tho and doesn’t find much of it there.
You’re also comparing lycett as a 27 ur old when he arrived to a player who is 23.

Last edited:
Not sure how I ended up on the Collingwood board draft and trading thread but apparently they're trading Brodie Grundy and his $900k contract to us at the end of this season. :tearsofjoy:

Not sure how I ended up on the Collingwood board draft and trading thread but apparently they're trading Brodie Grundy and his $900k contract to us at the end of this season. :tearsofjoy:
3EA79659-3220-4DB4-84A8-6CFC0EA79C24.gif

Buget

Premiership Player
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Salary dump? I’ll give them a future 3rd, only if they pay $600k of the salary each year...

And only if the contract is signed before the end of the trade period.....

Back