List Mgmt. 2021 Trade Targets

Alyx

Unbelievably Disconnected
Feb 17, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure how I ended up on the Collingwood board draft and trading thread but apparently they're trading Brodie Grundy and his $900k contract to us at the end of this season. :tearsofjoy:

...and apparently we should be jumping at the opportunity to trade them two "meh players" in Todd Marshall and Willem Drew, plus our first-round pick, for the privilege.

Don't do meth, kids.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ok, Merrett is clearly worth a first round pick via free agency.

This is a ladder predictor that I did. It could look a lot different if some of these teams decided to pull the trigger to get two low picks.

That would put

#1 North
#2 Hawks
#3 Collingwood
#4 Saints
#5 Essendon
#6 GWS
#7 Adelaide
#8 Carlton

North could potentially get the #2 pick with priority

Saints could end up with #4 and #5 with Billings compensation
Essendon #5 and #6 with Merrett compensation
Carlton #8, #9 with Cripps compensation

If we want Merrett, I think we're going to need Essendon to finish with two picks in the top 5. The two SA boys will be in there.

WLD%
1.Western Bulldogs2110134.7%
2.Port Adelaide2020126.2%
3.Melbourne1840129.3%
4.Brisbane Lions1660109.3%
5.Fremantle1570106.2%
6.West Coast1570105.7%
7.Richmond1390111.3%
8.Sydney1390102.9%
9.Geelong12100112.5%
10.Gold Coast1111097.8%
11.Carlton913093.1%
12.Adelaide913092.7%
13.GWS913091.1%
14.Essendon517091.0%
15.St Kilda418080.7%
16.Collingwood319087.4%
17.Hawthorn319083.9%
18.North Melbourne220069.5%
QF1: WESTERN BULLDOGS v Brisbane Lions
QF2: PORT ADELAIDE v Melbourne
EF1: FREMANTLE v Sydney
EF2: WEST COAST v Richmond

SF1: BRISBANE LIONS v Fremantle
SF2: MELBOURNE v West Coast

PF1: WESTERN BULLDOGS v Melbourne
PF2: PORT ADELAIDE v Brisbane Lions

GF: Western Bulldogs v PORT ADELAIDE

Mar 10, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Grundy is Lobbe-esque. I couldn't go on Sunday, so I watched him get destroyed by Essendons part-timers before our game.

The only other ruckman I have seen get huge numbers and still have a negative contribution is late era Lobbe playing SANFL. He single handedly destroys them with his ruck work.

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
I feel sorry for Grundy. He’s still in Collingwoods best couple of players on performance but getting judged because the midfield around him is diminished and the club put him on a fat contract. Doesn’t deserve to be public enemy number 1 for his own supporters.

Last edited:

SureBuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Grundy is Lobbe-esque. I couldn't go on Sunday, so I watched him get destroyed by Essendons part-timers before our game.

The only other ruckman I have seen get huge numbers and still have a negative contribution is late era Lobbe playing SANFL. He single handedly destroys them with his ruck work.
Yea that’s just not true lol. Grundy is an absolute superstar and is easily top 3 ruck in the game. Only ever so slightly behind Gawn and Nic Nat, but does way more around the ground than them.

davesnothere

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ruck is not the area i am interested in, get an inside midfielder and if possible a tall defender. Wonder what's going on with Gould from Sydney? will come cheap, we were keen on him on the Draft day.

Some more speed maybe??

M Crouch inside mid.
Draft for tall defenders to develop.

I feel sorry for Grundy. He’s still in Collingwoods best couple of players on performance but getting judged because the midfield around him is diminished and the club put him on a fat contract. Doesn’t deserve to be public enemy number 1 for his own supporters.
Highly public big contracts come with that level of scrutiny.

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
It's pointless recruiting players as long as Hinkley is the coach, we will turn Dusty into a plodder even. We have been owned by the Lions for years and we see the same old **** year after year, pure capitulation from the first bounce. Just a s**t matchday coach.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
It's pointless recruiting players as long as Hinkley is the coach, we will turn Dusty into a plodder even. We have been owned by the Lions for years and we see the same old **** year after year, pure capitulation from the first bounce. Just a sh*t matchday coach.
Hard to argue the above. Facts is facts.

Need to recruit players who thrive on having the bunsen burner put on them.

Fos and Jack developed teams with plenty of average individuals who played (well) above themselves and contributed to the TEAM ethos. And were thus successful.
Our present guys wilt under pressure too often. Yes, they have the odd game here they do well. But more often it's the reverse.

Fluid, pretty footballers who lose their machismo when challenged.
Give me 5 Paul Northeast's, 4 Tim Ginever's and 3 Marty Leslie's and surround them with a few attractive looking types and watch the difference.

Merrett wants to be here. Need to work out how we facilitate it. Who is expendable that the Bombres would want. Although with a username like JakeNeadefan doesn't fill one with confidence as to their football acumen, somebody like Ladhams may have to be part of any deal. What else have we got to give up? Bonner? Farrell? Leinert? Drew? None of these blokes are worth that much. We will have fu** all draft capital. Maybe Ladhams is the cornerstone to a deal?
we have plenty of flanker type backmen. if Essendon want them is another thing. might have to do 3 way trades.

SureBuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
At this rate Essendon will be bottom 5. That is a fantastic outcome for us, as they won't match.

We desperately need Merrett. Pay him whatever he wants to get the deal done.

Amarula

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Western suburbs (Melb)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Indomitable Lions
Watching the Essendon Carlton game, it almost looked like the Bombres were doing everything they could not to use Merrett as their number one mid. They seemed to be using him in a defensive-mid role, which is not his thing and probably not his best value to the team.

Back