24. James Frawley - Link
25. Dean Kent - Link
38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

“Very little”. Geary is on $500K, Carlisle is on $300K, Dunstan $400K and Robbo will make nearly $700K (its complex though as he gets an injury lump sum payment as well). Throw in Webster $400K, Ross $600K and it’s easy to see how we will in fact have a lot of spare money if some of those players leave. Obviously we need to keep in mind that we have a few coming out of contract too that will eat up a chunk of money.
DMAC's 10 million

People are over estimating how much we would have in our salary cap at the end of the season. Of those mentioned above, Carlisle and Geary would be on very little. Dunstan on an average amount and Robbo's contract was likely front loaded considering on when he signed it.

Doubt we have the money to be going around throwing it at another Free Agent midfielder when that's far form our biggest need right now.
Weight of numbers will have a significant effect even if many have been front loaded already.
If you have a look at our list, there's plenty that won't be around in 1 and 2 years so we can buy a FA then load up on kids who will eventually replace the likes of Hill, Members and Crouch.

We've got a short window here before Hunts, Coff, Steele, King etc, start require real proper money.

Weight of numbers will have a significant effect even if many have been front loaded already.
If you have a look at our list, there's plenty that won't be around in 1 and 2 years so we can buy a FA then load up on kids who will eventually replace the likes of Hill, Members and Crouch.

We've got a short window here before Hunts, Coff, Steele, King etc, start require real proper money.

You say that, but champion teams of the past like hawks, Geelong and richmond have a raft of players on unders so they can keep them together and contend for more flags

Apparently Steele signed a modest contract to keep the group together. Billings would look like a proper campaigner if he took another 800k deal.
Steele signed for 2 x 650

Lethlean said at the time Steele signed for a lot less than he could've got else where and a lot less than he deserves

You say that, but champion teams of the past like hawks, Geelong and richmond have a raft of players on unders so they can keep them together and contend for more flags
There's unders, and then there's unders.
It also doesn't matter a lick when you're paying your stars outside the cap.

The assumption would be that we will also eventually take advantage of this as part of competent management...

Welcome back bro.
JB could only possibly get that at essington, so there's no worries for us there. He'll take what he's given or he's gone..

I think he will take the pay hit. To an extent I think last time he reluctantly re-signed. The money was the sealer. Playing for a team that will likely consistently play finals & challenge offers greater motivation to stick around. He’s no longer in our best 5 players nor does his potential warrant top 5 pay. We no what he will deliver & he sits around 7-12 best/most important on our list. 600k is about right IMO.

There's unders, and then there's unders.
It also doesn't matter a lick when you're paying your stars outside the cap.

The assumption would be that we will also eventually take advantage of this as part of competent management...

Bloody hope so lol. Furphys all round!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s a bargain. Wish he signed a longer term deal.
Hopefully it was help us out now we will look after you in two years time

Leathlean said at the start of 2020 the cap was very tight but manageable

I think he will take the pay hit. To an extent I think last time he reluctantly re-signed. The money was the sealer. Playing for a team that will likely consistently play finals & challenge offers greater motivation to stick around. He’s no longer in our best 5 players nor does his potential warrant top 5 pay. We no what he will deliver & he sits around 7-12 best/most important on our list. 600k is about right IMO.
600 is about right, but I'd be deducting some for the last 800k contract that he hasn't performed under.
If Steele has accepted 650 x 2, JB aught get 5-550k x 2 as an absolute maximum.

If he can elevate himself to a top 5 player then a modest increase for the next 2 years would be fine, but I dont know how he'll move up because I'd back Steele, Roma, Coff, Hunts, Batts, King, Doogs and others to make thst almost impossible.

“Very little”. Geary is on $500K, Carlisle is on $300K, Dunstan $400K and Robbo will make nearly $700K (its complex though as he gets an injury lump sum payment as well). Throw in Webster $400K, Ross $600K and it’s easy to see how we will in fact have a lot of spare money if some of those players leave. Obviously we need to keep in mind that we have a few coming out of contract too that will eat up a chunk of money.
I highly doubt Geary is on half a mil. Seriously doubt Carlisles one year contract that he signed when no one else would offer him one is a significant amount of money either. Dunstan would be on afl average which is slightly less than 400k.

Roberton's contract would ave been front loaded - 700k per season considering he signed at the end of 2017, it would have been structured for more to be paid in 18-19 when we were barely reaching the minimum of the salary cap. Same could be said about Ross and the contract he was on.

The money that the players you listed - Hunter, Coffield, King, Steele etc. - will require in a few years is exactly why we shouldn't be throwing around any more 4-5 year deals to free agent midfielders who will still be requiring that money when our current players will need paid. Crouch came for less than a FA with his resume should because of the circumstances around him. Someone like Merrett or Kelly isn't leaving for a contract only worth a band 3 compo pick.

We cant keep giving these decent sized contracts out and trading in all these players while still expecting to keep our own talent.

Is there any discount on Robbo for this year? Or that turns into akin to assistant coach money (for him)?

Is there any discount on Robbo for this year? Or that turns into akin to assistant coach money (for him)?
Out of that lot we have enough to cover upgrades to players contracts , the thing is will the club entice one of the many restricted free agents to the club - no doubt Cripps will stay a the Blues or head West but guys like Zac Merrett , Matt Crouch , Josh Kelly and Bont are all free agents and even Oliver has not signed yet.

Watching Caldwell the other night made me more disappointed we missed out on him.

Looking at our side now though I can understand his decision to choose Essendon. Our midfield depth is as good as anyones.

The Crouch decision most likely spooked him. Crouch cost us nothing in draft picks so we can't complain. It's going to be interesting watching his career though as it's top end talent in the midfield that we need.

According to his mate we went quiet after we got Crouch, was as good as signed to us in his mind. Sounds like he wasn't too impressed how we did the negotiation. Had told his mate he was coming to us.

The money that the players you listed - Hunter, Coffield, King, Steele etc. - will require in a few years is exactly why we shouldn't be throwing around any more 4-5 year deals to free agent midfielders who will still be requiring that money when our current players will need paid. Crouch came for less than a FA with his resume should because of the circumstances around him. Someone like Merrett or Kelly isn't leaving for a contract only worth a band 3 compo pick.

We cant keep giving these decent sized contracts out and trading in all these players while still expecting to keep our own talent.
Yes, and no. I think you're fundamentally correct, but contract management is significantly more dynamic than you're considering.
We'll have either banked savings and/or front loaded our SC to create room in the future.
Along with a very significant list of retirees, delistees and salary reductions over the next 2 years, there simply MUST be a good amount to splash around.

I know Lethers said we were "getting tight" but he also said we were "in line with other clubs" having been at minimum spend for a while.
Whilst some other posters have made reference to these statements to back the position you have, l don't put any stock in them at all.
What l think, is that those are nothing statements for the consumption of player managers and the media.
Like MG said a page back. Just look at who is gonna be leaving and who will get a haircut.
Then know that we've been front loading the larger contracts, whist also tracking at minimum SC spend.
There simply must be a very solid kitty available in 2022-2023. There can't not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back