24. James Frawley - Link
25. Dean Kent - Link
38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Pretty indifferent about billings. Would be happy if he stays but would understand why he or the club would want to move on.
He was touted as someone with great skills when he was drafted but obviously he’s had troubles in front of goals and I can’t think of any times he’s really wow’d me (like Connelly did last sat) with his field kicks. He’s a nice player but I don’t know how becauseI can’t even think of his greatest asset as a player... football IQ maybe?
Has become very vanilla as the years have gone on.

Has become very vanilla as the years have gone on.
Not sure vanilla is right.

when he plays well. You could argue he is elite.
GWS West Coast and Gold Coast this season.

problem is that he is invisible every other week - even when he has 25 touches etc.

Sounds about right. We seem to just bomb away rather than use our outside players as the set up kick inside 50.Hll has gone back and guys like Dmac, Byrnes and Battle are playing the wings. They are more agricultural in their ball use than silky.

It would be working if the forwards were converting. If we had a gun small forward like peak Charlie Cameron we'd be very dangerous. Wish we had a Kosi Pickett type.
A lot of it has come down to the fact we have a working class midfield and not a lot of class in there.

A classy mid in the draft needs to be the number one priority.

Playing Clark in the midfield should also be a priority.

We had our very own Kosi Pickett but we prefer to play him in the middle.

problem is that he is invisible every other week - even when he has 25 touches etc.

He just doesn't stand out and drag a team over the line.

He bobs up 2 times a year when you actually notice him change a game off his own boot.

Like you said he is invisible in his 25 touches as most of his kicks are down the line or sideways.

What you do notice is as soon as someone puts pressure on him, he crumbles badly and just does not stand and and deliver.

Not an issue. Money is there. Nice little red white and black bow on it.

I think mummy and daddy king are probably getting his room ready for his return.

Still if they make us over pay for keeping Dunny it eats into our cap. Maybe sour grapes.

A lot of it has come down to the fact we have a working class midfield and not a lot of class in there.

Sorry, but I don't reckon Clark is a midfielder- hasn't got the tank IMO

It's that outside smooth mover type we need. Steele is a clean user but anyone moving the ball under pressure is going to make a meal of it at times and our drop it at the top of the square to stationary forwards seems to make everything look worse. It's low percentage. Also looks like Ratts Carlton game plan where he had Betts, Garlett and Robinson to contain it and punish with scores. Clark is going to have to get himself fit to play mid. He should be about to hit his peak form and he still looks bit like he's kid starting out. I guess we're talking Gesham which I agree with.

Sorry, but I don't reckon Clark is a midfielder- hasn't got the tank IMO
No need to apologise but I disagree.

Pretty sure he was covering more ground than any player last year.

He played his best game round one when played as a genuine mid. He ended up with 12 CP's and 7 clearances.

He was huge for us once moved into the middle last year against WC and was the main reason for us getting back into that game.

He also dominated his under 18's year as a genuine mid.

He's a good contested ball winner, great in traffic and according the the stats covers the ground.

Nothing I've seen of him tells me he wouldn't succeed as a midfielder.

Won’t be upset if Luke goes. But I hope he gets a long contract on very good money.

because he deserves it. Not because we deserve the best pick 😜😂

I hope he keeps playing well and stays, We finally have a functional midfield. We need to replace him and no-one is looking close to picking up the slack. Bytel got 4 possessions in a half when he came on. Byrnes looks good on a wing but the times he attends the centre he looks a bit less convincing, it's a big step up for any kid. I'd want to chase a Matt Crouch if we lost him and that would eat the FA compo away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's that outside smooth mover type we need. Steele is a clean user but anyone moving the ball under pressure is going to make a meal of it at times and our drop it at the top of the square to stationary forwards seems to make everything look worse. It's low percentage. Also looks like Ratts Carlton game plan where he had Betts, Garlett and Robinson to contain it and punish with scores. Clark is going to have to get himself fit to play mid. He should be about to hit his peak form and he still looks bit like he's kid starting out. I guess we're talking Gesham which I agree with.
I'd prefer a genuine inside outside mid with skills rather than just another outside player.

Sam Walsh would be nice...

Howard, Ryder, Hill, Jones, Butler, Crouch, Frawley, Higgins, McKernan and Wood all recruited in the last two off seasons, would be very surprised if we are that aggressive again this off season. In saying that, I really hope we’re into Jake Riccardi. He’s played some quality VFL games this year, including a lazy 41 disposal 19 mark game in defence. Seems too good for that level and has shown some good signs in his limited AFL exposure so far.

Out of contract so could be cheap, could see him playing a role either as a key defender or as a another tall forward to compliment Winx. Alternatively, we could just play Battle in either position and * off this wing experiment.

No need to apologise but I disagree.

Pretty sure he was covering more ground than any player last year.

He played his best game round one when played as a genuine mid. He ended up with 12 CP's and 7 clearances.

He was huge for us once moved into the middle last year against WC and was the main reason for us getting back into that game.

He also dominated his under 18's year as a genuine mid.

He's a good contested ball winner, great in traffic and according the the stats covers the ground.

Nothing I've seen of him tells me he wouldn't succeed as a midfielder.

His hands and contested work are good but he's so slow and one way when he goes in. He looks lazy to me. He is one of my favourites and highest potential players but needs a rocket. Hopefully competition for spots gets him moving.

I'd prefer a genuine inside outside mid with skills rather than just another outside player.

Sam Walsh would be nice...

Josh Kelly would be my ideal type. Or Walsh...I'm not greedy.

Clark hasn't shown enough when switched to the middle to date on a consistent basis. He clearly plays his best footy at the moment of half back.

Eventually, though we need him to make it as a mid so he needs to keep improving his game.

It may take him another 3 seasons to get there but given the skillset he has he would become elite.

By vanilla or beige I think we mean that he plays too safe. He looked psychologically soft in front of goals where he'd miss sitters at crunch times. We moved him away to minimise his chances of being exposed and worked within his limitations never exposing him to pressure. He ended up turning to a safe boring player who rarely takes a risk. He does everything well but he never looks to take on the game. He was scared of having to be an iceman in front of goals, we sheltered him and made him the blancmange man.

He's carved out a niche as the best good ordinary player in footy who never tries any harder than he has to or stretch himself.

His hands and contested work are good but he's so slow and one way when he goes in. He looks lazy to me. He is one of my favourites and highest potential players but needs a rocket. Hopefully competition for spots gets him moving.
Clark hasn't shown enough when switched to the middle to date on a consistent basis. He clearly plays his best footy at the moment of half back.

Eventually, though we need him to make it as a mid so he needs to keep improving his game.

It may take him another 3 seasons to get there but given the skillset he has he would become elite.
This Pendlebury kid looks slow and lazy, l can literally see time slow down when he's got the ball.. He'll never make it in todays game. Delist.

This Pendlebury kid looks slow and lazy, l can literally see time slow down when he's got the ball.. He'll never make it in todays game. Delist.

No one said that, but imagine if Pendles had been a bit lazy with his training standards and didn't look fit enough. He wouldn't be Pendles. We can all see HCs potential to be special that's a given but the champion players are made when all the parts are in unison. Pendles seems a knock about guy but he's a pro trainer and has a massive work ethic. That's why he's still going after so long in the game.

Howard, Ryder, Hill, Jones, Butler, Crouch, Frawley, Higgins, McKernan and Wood all recruited in the last two off seasons, would be very surprised if we are that aggressive again this off season. In saying that, I really hope we’re into Jake Riccardi. He’s played some quality VFL games this year, including a lazy 41 disposal 19 mark game in defence. Seems too good for that level and has shown some good signs in his limited AFL exposure so far.

Out of contract so could be cheap, could see him playing a role either as a key defender or as a another tall forward to compliment Winx. Alternatively, we could just play Battle in either position and fu** off this wing experiment.
Agree.. Battle at least should be played like a deep CHF, roaming between FF and CHF.. he is a good kick for goal and has good forward craft/tough as nails, he will be every bit as good as Membrey if given the chance and should kick 40+ goals. but it won’t work if we continue to bomb the ball to our forwards..

He is also playing wing because we can’t link our back half to forward half effectively.. basically our traditional wingman like Hill is not being utilised well/in poor form for various reasons.. so we need Membrey and Battle to play more wing.. so the thinking is that having a talk forward marking the ball will make the transition better.. unfortunately we still bomb the ball from our backline (Howard’s only play), so even Membrey/Battle playing wing are ineffective most of the time..

So it’s definitely the way we’re set up/told to play that is the problem.. give Hill to Geelong, or Richmond and see him thrive.. so we need to find a game style that are suitable for the players we have... Howard bombing the ball out only to have it come straight back is one of the dumbest/predictable play I’ve seen this season.. it makes us easy to play against, because defending long bombs, the opposition always has a 50/50% chance, but if you kick to a leading forward’s advantage (doesn’t have to be perfect), you give your forward more chance to win the ball.. yes, you may turn the ball over sometimes, but if your backline is not all pushed up high like a soccer team, should still be able to defend a turnover.. so it’s this lock the ball in/then use forward pressure and high press that’s holding us back and laborious.. in the last few weeks, we’ve been trying to move the ball slowly by using 10-15 metre kicks along the boundary.. it’s slow and allow the opposition to set up men behind the ball..

We have good forwards.. Why don’t we give them a chance.. buttler kicked 30 goals last year because we play fast, he was able to do his work without too much congestion.. early in the year, we play the slow/bomb every ball to King game, Buttler had no chance.. and of course his confidence will waiver and it affected his decision making/skills.. last year, he was unbelievably dangerous and unselfish as well.. this year, he can’t get near it and made a lot of mistakes through bad tackles/skill errors. Coincidence? I think not..

Excellent marks - Membrey, King, Marshall,
Good kicks - Membrey, Battle, Buttler
Forward craft - Membrey, Buttler, Higgins

His opportunities have been very limited.

Compare his midfield time to someone like Jack Bytel who when played is played as a genuine mid.

Clark has had one game in that role (where he was terrific) and every other game has played as a back flanker with small stints on the ball.

I think the fact he has been good off half back has meant he's been starved of opportunities through the midfield.

I'm excited about the potential in our midfield. I'd still love to see a great ball user/decision maker go in there.

Clark needs to spend as much time there as possible and i still think Bytel is going to be a very good player. His potential is obvious. I reckon within a couple of years he'll be tearing games apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back