24. James Frawley - Link
25. Dean Kent - Link
38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

"Doing the job very well"? Just like Dunstan was for 3 weeks before he pumped the brakes again? Also for the record, dmac hasn't been doing things well, he's just not been a complete and utter liability for every moment spent on the field. But that will change, just like it did for Dunny. And when it does I'm going to hold everyone raving about McKenzie's "resurgence" accountable.
So you're saying that he shouldn't be playing then. Who would you suggest takes his spot?

I completely understand your point of view but I just think it will produce the exact outcome that you say you want to avoid.
Of the 3 I'd hold on to Dunny if any, but he looks the most likely to leave so I'm counting him as gone.

AFAIC we have better options on the list to do what what we need and I want culture change as much as anything and as such I'd be pushing JB and Seb out the door.

For your Josh Bruce example I'll raise you a Josh Battle. Why this poor kid is rotting in the 2's when as you say we could use a foil for Max is beyond me. Or why when we obviously need to fill at CHB and he's shown he can do it, is again beyond me.
All whilst we're using Skunk as a HHF FFS. No, this is a selection problem, not a "could use a Josh Bruce type" problem

JB's position can be occupied by Snaggs or Sincs and we can leave Coffield in the team. JB is the most easily replaced of the 3 and I'll go so far to say that if you don't notice him when he's playing, then you won't notice when he's missing either. Indeed when he was missing earlier this year I didn't notice at all.

I've lost a lot of faith in Ratts this year. Some of it is over tactics but mostly it's about selection, and at this point I don't believe he's in line for another contract. As I said in the previous post I believe 2023 is the target, and I honestly don't see any room for Ross, Dunny or JB in that team.

I'd say if you look at the guys we are talking of losing all are in our best 10 players. Dunstan has been in our best 5 apart from the WC game. We have one absolute gun star in Steele then a big pool of solid but unspectacular players. It's out strength but also our weakness. No stars to grab the game by the balls but also able to play against top sides if everyone fires.

To me the same thing that happened before is happening now. There is a portion of the list that can't or won't perform. I think this year gave us some more players which will help long term. Dunny, DMac and Webster were all like new recruits.

I'm ready to hold and just see what happens with a new bunch of draftees and a few less injuries. Retire the obvious ones. When I'm not raging I'm more into settling on a list and tinkering. If we get King come good and a few pieces added we should be right.

"Doing the job very well"? Just like Dunstan was for 3 weeks before he pumped the brakes again? Also for the record, dmac hasn't been doing things well, he's just not been a complete and utter liability for every moment spent on the field. But that will change, just like it did for Dunny. And when it does I'm going to hold everyone raving about McKenzie's "resurgence" accountable.

Dunny only had one bad game against WC and the same game was also Steele's worst.

I'd say if you look at the guys we are talking of losing all are in our best 10 players. Dunstan has been in our best 5 apart from the WC game. We have one absolute gun star in Steele then a big pool of solid but unspectacular players. It's out strength but also our weakness. No stars to grab the game by the balls but also able to play against top sides if everyone fires.

To me the same thing that happened before is happening now. There is a portion of the list that can't or won't perform. I think this year gave us some more players which will help long term. Dunny, DMac and Webster were all like new recruits.

I'm ready to hold and just see what happens with a new bunch of draftees and a few less injuries. Retire the obvious ones. When I'm not raging I'm more into settling on a list and tinkering. If we get King come good and a few pieces added we should be right.

Am i wrong to be cynical about players who sit on our list 2 years, then suddenly play great footy when their contract is due?
We'd have to be insane to give them more than a year.

( Mind you i always rated Webster, and so did the coaches, you just have anti-Webster vibes Gringo ).

As it stands we currently have three draft picks, one first round, one third and one fourth.

Delist: Frawley, McKernan, Carlisle, Roberton, Hunter
Trade out: Lonie and our 4th for a 3rd, Long for a 3rd
Trade in: Cheap moneyball ruckman for one of the third round picks)

Trade our other two 3rd round picks for a 2nd

Draft best available mid with first round draft pick, draft best available key back with the 2nd.

Keep open other 4 list spots for mid season draft or future list reductions.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

McKenzie is just a good fill in if someone is injured , I doubt he will ever be best 22.

Talking about midfielders as well no one has ever considered Coffield or Paton could easily develop into midfielders - I would believe they would say they would like to have a crack at it but having Connolly , Byrne , Clark and Bytel it is going to be hard to let everyone have a go and this year we pick up Owens , Windhager and a guy like Callaghan or Erasmus with our 1st round pick Sandringham are going to have a pretty good team and hopefully we get a couple standout players from that lot - but whoever we get this year in the draft will be a couple years away from cementing a spot in the team.

I believe we have the cap space to fit in a Kelly and knowing Gabby Allen drafted him to GWS we could well have a chance in securing him.
He would be the ideal player to complete our midfield.

Am i wrong to be cynical about players who sit on our list 2 years, then suddenly play great footy when their contract is due?
We'd have to be insane to give them more than a year.

( Mind you i always rated Webster, and so did the coaches, you just have anti-Webster vibes Gringo ).

I've always been okay with Webster, I just like to point out that he's overrated as well. He is playing the most consistent and high quality footy of his career at the moment though. To me Dunny couldn't get a go under Ratts as he wanted a style that was all about holding the ball like WC. Dunstan has worked on his flaws and is a better player than he was 3 seasons back. If we can sign them all up on a decreased contract it's a no brainer. We just need to start to be consistent and changing out experienced players for kids is the opposite to that. Older players bring kids through quicker too.

As it stands we currently have three draft picks, one first round, one third and one fourth.

Delist: Frawley, McKernan, Carlisle, Roberton, Hunter
Trade out: Lonie and our 4th for a 3rd, Long for a 3rd
Trade in: Cheap moneyball ruckman for one of the third round picks)

Trade our other two 3rd round picks for a 2nd

Draft best available mid with first round draft pick, draft best available key back with the 2nd.

Keep open other 4 list spots for mid season draft or future list reductions.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our academy kids will make cherry picking hard. We should get our first pick to use on a top mid then academy picks then we might have to dig in the delisted free agent bin.

Geary goes one more

Colour me shocked

You've got to be kidding me...no, nope...you're right, just saw the bit on the AFL site.
For F*CK sake this club is rendering me punch drunk at the moment 🥴 Pay the guy as a fitness instructor, or motivator, or some other s**t If you want...but the guy is done with playing AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be clear I wanted Geary to have his contract extension for THIS year...even though I didn't think he was physically up for it. I thought he deserved it as he has been a good leader (if not unremarkable) for the club during a horrible period, and he exemplified a guy who got the absolute most out of his body and ability. I was glad that he'd be there for the transition of leadership in what I hoped to be an up-swing in our fortunes.
As it goes, I was right about him not being physically able for the rigours of the game anymore. I don't see why or how it can be rewarded for another year knowing that it's literally money down the drain.

You've got to be kidding me...no, nope...you're right, just saw the bit on the AFL site.
For F*CK sake this club is rendering me punch drunk at the moment 🥴 Pay the guy as a fitness instructor, or motivator, or some other sh*t If you want...but the guy is done with playing AFL.
Nah - good idea to keep him for another year - give him $200k and use the balance to payout Long.

For F*CK sake this club is rendering me punch drunk at the moment 🥴 Pay the guy as a fitness instructor, or motivator, or some other sh*t If you want...but the guy is done with playing AFL.
Maybe that is sort of what it is?
Soft cap is small and bugger all wiggle room. Maybe we are sort of pulling a Port with the Sack as a 'playing' coach?

Best 5 for a handful of weeks though. I think this is now just reversion to true Dunstan.

I'm blown away by this , no way he is near best 22 and if he plays you can't hide him anywhere - It means they have no balls to delist the guy , I thought we were better than this.
Worst case wait till end of draft and trade period and see if we have a spot no filled , but no way sign a guy that will only hinder the leadership of others.
This is b//s//t

Maybe that is sort of what it is?
Soft cap is small and bugger all wiggle room. Maybe we are sort of pulling a Port with the Sack as a 'playing' coach?
If that is the case get another guy from another club that might be sound and have different ideas - the last game he played was against the Bombers this year and boy his leadership shown through - he really helped when they got a run on and we leaked goals

I'm blown away by this , no way he is near best 22 and if he plays you can't hide him anywhere - It means they have no balls to delist the guy , I thought we were better than this.
Worst case wait till end of draft and trade period and see if we have a spot no filled , but no way sign a guy that will only hinder the leadership of others.
This is b//s//t
Really strange considering the reduction in list sizes. You'd think what we've gone through this year with injuries and struggling to field a full list of emergencies at times we'd want to have as many fit and healthy players ready to go, keeping in mind some young players will need time to develop as well. I guess we will be cutting a lot of dead wood this season, so if it is 1 spot for leadership and development the benefit may outweigh the cost of list spot

Really strange considering the reduction in list sizes. You'd think what we've gone through this year with injuries and struggling to field a full list of emergencies at times we'd want to have as many fit and healthy players ready to go, keeping in mind some young players will need time to develop as well. I guess we will be cutting a lot of dead wood this season, so if it is 1 spot for leadership and development the benefit may outweigh the cost of list spot
Leadership is the reason he should retire , Steele doesn't need some guy white anting him - and having Hannerbery sitting doing nothing on big money can be the leadership and coach the reason we got him.
You got to let these guys grow keeping Geary will only hinder Steele's leadership even Geary said that when Riewoldt and Montage was there when he went captain.

We have limited spots if we are getting 5 kids in the draft - a ruck man , free agent and a key position player. -- 8 spots
If I had to pick Peris or Geary I know who I would pick.

I can see why Dunstan wants out when he has leadership qualities and basically the club said he is finished and the we keep a guy on the list who was past his used by date last year.

i need to go and smoke a joint or something

To be clear I wanted Geary to have his contract extension for THIS year...even though I didn't think he was physically up for it. I thought he deserved it as he has been a good leader (if not unremarkable) for the club during a horrible period, and he exemplified a guy who got the absolute most out of his body and ability. I was glad that he'd be there for the transition of leadership in what I hoped to be an up-swing in our fortunes.
As it goes, I was right about him not being physically able for the rigours of the game anymore. I don't see why or how it can be rewarded for another year knowing that it's literally money down the drain.

What you thought he had osteoporosis or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back