24. James Frawley - Link
25. Dean Kent - Link
38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

There were rumours floating in the second half of last year before he re-signed, with enough ITK contributors mentioning it for me to be pretty comfortable that we asked the question. Same with Brander from WCE.
Not as keen on Brander as the other Two

Zerrett had 78 Inside 50s last season but only 7 Goal Assists

Season before that 114 IFs for 14 GAs

He kicked 2 goals in 2020 and 8 in 2019

Doesnt kick enough goals or create enough goals for a primarily outside mid

Meh

Neale wins way more contested possession and kicks more goals

Neale is more of an inside mid though so makes sense he wins more contested possession. Which outside mid kick heaps of goals? Josh Kelly is probably the closest thing to an elite outside mid but he's similar. To me Merrett is a top tier AFL player, if he was available you'd be crazy to not try to get him. It's like turning down a free Lamborghini because you don't like the style of the side mirrors.

Highmore hasn't played a game yet, Wilkie is too short to be a key back, McKernan should never be a consistent feature of our 22, no Clark in your team, Hannebery and Ross will never be competing with one another for a single spot on the bench, Jones and Battle shouldn't be starting off the bench which could be remedied by not starting highmore and mckernan at all let alone on the field. I really don't know where this team has come from but I hope we don't run with it sorry.
That's deflating

Neale is more of an inside mid though so makes sense he wins more contested possession. Which outside mid kick heaps of goals? Josh Kelly is probably the closest thing to an elite outside mid but he's similar. To me Merrett is a top tier AFL player, if he was available you'd be crazy to not try to get him. It's like turning down a free Lamborghini because you don't like the style of the side mirrors.

Merrett ain't no Lamborghini ..... more like Nova Kit car with no finishing power

Merrett ain't no Lamborghini ..... more like Nova Kit car with no finishing power

I reckon he stacks up with most top tier mids except the absolute superstars. He's won the Bombers B&F twice and polled 19 Brownlow votes in a year despite only winning 2 games, the Bomber's youngest ever BF winner, VC in the 22 under 22 three times and AA and he's just turned 25. If he's a Nova kit car we must have predominantly car parts scattered around a junk yard.

Except he won't be free.
He'll attract a salary that's overs .

Will be interesting to see how far off a genuine flag shot we are...maybe worth paying overs if we're close enough. Like we tried with Lovett but buying from ess seems jinxed.

I don't know , i don't see a huge difference between Merrett and Jones, and then we have Bytel who could be anything.
Merrett finding a bit more of the ball last season, but Jones winning more contested ball, lets see how he goes when he's not the main man in the middle, ( Gresham out for much of 2020 and Crouch in for 2021.

I don't know , i don't see a huge difference between Merrett and Jones, and then we have Bytel who could be anything.
Merrett finding a bit more of the ball last season, but Jones winning more contested ball, lets see how he goes when he's not the main man in the middle, ( Gresham out for much of 2020 and Crouch in for 2021.

Oh come on man, that's like saying we don't need Dangerfield because we have Sinclair or Dusty because we have Kent. I love Jones but he's like comparing a tradesman's ute to a Benz. I hope one of them makes chasing Merrett redundant but it's crazy to compare them. He's ranked the 9th best player in the comp by Stats Insider. https://www.statsinsider.com.au/afl/player-ratings

Ranked 6th in Total Inside 50s ● Ranked 19th in Total Kicks
● Ranked 10th in Total Handballs ● Ranked 12th in Total Disposals
● Ranked 19th in Total AFL Fantasy Score ● Ranked 5th in Total Uncontested Possessions
● Ranked 9th in Total Effective Disposals ● Ranked 16th in Total Metres Gained
● Ranked 3rd in Inside 50s Per Game ● Ranked 8th in Kicks Per Game
● Ranked 7th in Handballs Per Game ● Ranked 4th in Disposals Per Game
● Ranked 9th in Supercoach Score Per Game ● Ranked 4th in AFL Fantasy Score Per Game
● Ranked 2nd in Uncontested Possessions Per Game ● Ranked 2nd in Effective Disposals Per Game
● Ranked 7th in Metres Gained Per Game

Oh come on man, that's like saying we don't need Dangerfield because we have Sinclair or Dusty because we have Kent. I love Jones but he's like comparing a tradesman's ute to a Benz. I hope one of them makes chasing Merrett redundant but it's crazy to compare them. He's ranked the 9th best player in the comp by Stats Insider. https://www.statsinsider.com.au/afl/player-ratings

Ranked 6th in Total Inside 50s ● Ranked 19th in Total Kicks
● Ranked 10th in Total Handballs ● Ranked 12th in Total Disposals
● Ranked 19th in Total AFL Fantasy Score ● Ranked 5th in Total Uncontested Possessions
● Ranked 9th in Total Effective Disposals ● Ranked 16th in Total Metres Gained
● Ranked 3rd in Inside 50s Per Game ● Ranked 8th in Kicks Per Game
● Ranked 7th in Handballs Per Game ● Ranked 4th in Disposals Per Game
● Ranked 9th in Supercoach Score Per Game ● Ranked 4th in AFL Fantasy Score Per Game
● Ranked 2nd in Uncontested Possessions Per Game ● Ranked 2nd in Effective Disposals Per Game
● Ranked 7th in Metres Gained Per Game

My thoughts were , that with Gresham and Dusntan out, Jones and Steele were our only inside extractors, and they did well. But i think with Crouch in there, we'll see Jones win a lot more outside ball.

I dunno if Merrett is getable since we'll have to out bid the dopers who'll probably have more inside and outside the cap.

Concentrate on Bing and full free agents since we have a few years up our sleves to be investment focused and opportunistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have no issue placing a bid on Merrett with a reasonable contract, and walking away if Essendon match it. No need to pay overs, great if we can get him in, but not selling the farm for him.

Add josh dunkley to the shopping list.

The bombers lost the only thing they had going for them- the element of surprise.

Noone else knew he was genuinely gettable... but now they do.

Wouldn't be that hard a sell to convince him that a move to a circa top 4 saints is a better option than to bottom 4 bombers.

With the dogs taking treloar they have made his reason for wanting to leave even worse than last year.

Of course he's still contracted till end of next year so he would be behind RFA's like merrett and kelly on the shopping list.. but failing those, I'd be all for paying the ol 2 firsts with a 2nd back for dunkley.

So you don't see the Merit in such a deal?
Naah bad deal!... we'd plummet into the abyss from the current stratosphere of possibilities causing a tsunami of adverse potentialities...could be a nuclear winter for the Saints if we even consider such a cataclysmic event. I think our best would be just 'slippin away'.

Yeah dont think Merrett is the Meteor we need and we'd be asked to max our card to get him......

He's a free agent is the point. He could be the difference between a premiership and just a good finals side. He's a Lauchie Neale or Dangerfield like target. People drool over Josh Kelly but he's not quite been as good as hoped and Merrett has been. We are in a good place when we don't need a top 20 player.

He's a free agent is the point. He could be the difference between a premiership and just a good finals side. He's a Lauchie Neale or Dangerfield like target. People drool over Josh Kelly but he's not quite been as good as hoped and Merrett has been. We are in a good place when we don't need a top 20 player.
maybe ....again we're going to find out the finer detail of what we'll need once we see a few hit outs i guess you guys are pretty good at seeing the value ...i just dont fancy anything tainted by having to deal with the Bombers

Please Gringo stop .... comparing Merrett to Neale and Danger ...... please just stop!!

If we happen to finish top five again this year we won't necessarily actually have to pay overs for the Kelly or Merrett types.

Lower ranked teams, or teams away from their home states? Sure, they'll likely have to offer overs, but the closer you are to premiership contention, the less money it takes to entice someone to your club.

Take Tom Lynch for example. He could've gotten well over $1 million at a lower ranked team, but he went to Richmond for well under $1 million PA. Dylan Shiel a somewhat similar example. Reportedly knocked back our offer of $1.2 million PA to sign for Essendon for a reported $800,000 PA.

Something else that's in our favour with both Kelly and Merrett is the fact that they both played for Sandringham dragons in the juniors, and are thus from our side of town and our area.

Please Gringo stop .... comparing Merrett to Neale and Danger ...... please just stop!!
Yep, the Merrett ad naseum needs to stop. He is a Top 10 player on stats alone, but that is where any sort of comparison with the gun mids of the competition need to stop.

I have never seen him be the difference in the performance of the side, never seen him drag the Dons over the line. Gets a lot of I50 but would be interested to see the retention value of those kicks, and doesn't play a true inside midfield game, more of a hybrid mid who is the outlet for handball chains.

There is a reason he doesn't get spoken about in the same breath as Danger and Neale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back