38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Not for the $800k a year he wants
600 to 650 at most

He's a better investment than Hill and Hanners. Even if he plays 15 games a year at least he's good to watch.

Well like you said he's a tease and loves an injury. First round picks and big contracts are for guys that produce week in week out (see Brad Hill).
No way would I give up a first this year, and a future first would cost us a crack at Bing in the next 3 years.
Mikka is keen, but I'd be leaving this shiny thing on the ground like we did with Treloar.

Treloar is not a good one to use as an example. I get regret watching him tear it up at the Dogs, he'd be fantastic to compliment our mids. Imagine having two of Jones last week and with out the massive drop off in form every second week.

So you know the exact circumstances of both incidents i take it , if not your like the rest of us and wouldn't have a clue what went down and if he will get time , Just saying
Settle down mate, he never said he knew the details or that he was going to jail, just that there is potential jail time.

Considering he's been charged there is potential there for jail time.

Settle down mate, he never said he knew the details or that he was going to jail, just that there is potential jail time.

Considering he's been charged with an offence there is potential there for jail time.
Settle yourself mate , yes there is potential but to mention the jarryd hayne case when none of us know what went on was a bit of a streach

Barry Brooks anybody?

Perfect Ryder replacement IMO

As I’ve said elsewhere, get Old Mate Daniel Archer.

Still only 29 years old and looks in great shape. And he’ll be able to bring his own jumper

q7CgqzK.jpg

Still only 29 years old and looks in great shape. And he’ll be able to bring his own jumper

q7CgqzK.jpg
Jesus.

well Dewy won a flag for Hawthorn so I suppose so.

q7CgqzK.jpg

Looks like Clayton Oliver broke into a pie shop.

I’d be wary about trading in players year. I think we need to hit the draft and take the best players available and develop them.

We have hit trade and FA period hard the last couple of years and I feel the team is still settling in with the new additions and learning how to play well together. I think we have a good midfield at the moment that is still taking time to peak and the focus should be on getting these guys to gel.

If an elite ‘game changing’ player is interested in Saints and gettable then you would look at it obviously but there aren’t many in that category and hardly any move clubs. So really hoping that the players that take us to being in serious flag conversations are already with us and just need to be developed further.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d be wary about trading in players year. I think we need to hit the draft and take the best players available and develop them.

We have hit trade and FA period hard the last couple of years and I feel the team is still settling in with the new additions and learning how to play well together. I think we have a good midfield at the moment that is still taking time to peak and the focus should be on getting these guys to gel.

If an elite ‘game changing’ player is interested in Saints and gettable then you would look at it obviously but there aren’t many in that category and hardly any move clubs. So really hoping that the players that take us to being in serious flag conversations are already with us and just need to be developed further.
Part of the problem with “just hitting the draft” is that two of our pretty if not very urgent needs are FB/CHB and ruck, and if you only target someone for those respective positions in the draft, it could take anywhere from 3-6 years for them to develop into “AFL quality players”, and with so much of our core group in that mid-20’s age group, we don’t have 3-6 years to wait around for those guys to make it- if they do even make it.

I'd be seeing where Lenny is at too.
The pies will also probably clean house this off season so maybe Bangers is a possibility.
Robert Harvey was a generational Saints hero as a player, but I don't want him coaching us. He and Bucks are free to continue their admirable mission at Collingwood.

I'm pretty sure it's Banger, not Bangers. As in Harvey Wallbanger, not Norks.

Part of the problem with “just hitting the draft” is that two of our pretty if not very urgent needs are FB/CHB and ruck, and if you only target someone for those respective positions in the draft, it could take anywhere from 3-6 years for them to develop into “AFL quality players”, and with so much of our core group in that mid-20’s age group, we don’t have 3-6 years to wait around for those guys to make it- if they do even make it.

Good point, but who is gettable in these positions?

We have Marshall for another 6-8 years who should only get better and it’s up to Ratten and co to tinker with the game plan so that it complements the players we have. We aren’t going to be able to trade in a Ryder replacement he is so unique and is probably delivering way more than anyone could have expected. So we need to focus on Marshall being the no 1 and then looking at who can step up at either end and help him out.

I’m more talking about not trading our high end draft picks for players we need to immediately integrate into a side that isn’t settled at the moment. I’m not against trading in for more depth in areas.

I really don’t know who is available or gettable this year but I am assuming there are no CHB/FBs that are FRDP worthy?

He's such a tease, if his body holds up he's got the ability to be anything, like Dusty anything. Unfortunately he just injures himself standing still. It's a risk but you have to roll the dice on the really top end players. After Hanners we might be a bit gun shy though. His best it incredibly good. I think like Gresham he might have to play mostly as a full time forward to keep his body in some kind of fitness, that might make guys like Butler and Higgins harder to use.

I think he is a forward.. but he’s that type of forward that can change a game. I’d back is to get him right.. depending on what it costs, I’d have a red hot dip. Wont have a better opportunity to snag him. Seemingly getting most of the blame for Collingwoods poor form - which is pretty unfair.

Are we forgetting he has a court case hanging over his head?
Not going anywhere near him, personally.

It would be good if we could get a Merrett type as free agent and still hit the draft. The Midseason draft could make up for a lack of kids in the meantime.

The danger is you trade out of the draft for a third year and go for a broken down old guy and miss out on the Luke Jackson type that would have been the better choice when we are actually challenging. It might be better to be competitive while building that grab for the now. I still think our list isn't built for a premiership, more just to not be an embarrassing reminder of past mistakes.

I think we'll miss the 8 this year and hopefully we get the best player we can in the draft and then make try to find a guy like Alir that is a good player now and not too expensive in a trade or find a state league KPB. Otherwise chase another Nath Brown type from a club on the slide and draft a kid KPB to develop ender them.

Good point, but who is gettable in these positions?

We have Marshall for another 6-8 years who should only get better and it’s up to Ratten and co to tinker with the game plan so that it complements the players we have. We aren’t going to be able to trade in a Ryder replacement he is so unique and is probably delivering way more than anyone could have expected. So we need to focus on Marshall being the no 1 and then looking at who can step up at either end and help him out.

I’m more talking about not trading our high end draft picks for players we need to immediately integrate into a side that isn’t settled at the moment. I’m not against trading in for more depth in areas.

I really don’t know who is available or gettable this year but I am assuming there are no CHB/FBs that are FRDP worthy?

The most similar to Ryder is Nic Nat. Should we ask the question after Ryder retires?

The danger is you trade out of the draft for a third year and go for a broken down old guy and miss out on the Luke Jackson type that would have been the better choice when we are actually challenging. It might be better to be competitive while building that grab for the now. I still think our list isn't built for a premiership, more just to not be an embarrassing reminder of past mistakes.

I think we'll miss the 8 this year and hopefully we get the best player we can in the draft and then make try to find a guy like Alir that is a good player now and not too expensive in a trade or find a state league KPB. Otherwise chase another Nath Brown type from a club on the slide and draft a kid KPB to develop ender them.

Allir was the exact type I was thinking.

Future second rounder and let’s face it we won’t be keeping ours as we never do.

The most similar to Ryder is Nic Nat. Should we ask the question after Ryder retires?

I hope not, you don't want to be spending a million a year on a guy who taps the ball well. Paddy is amazing because he makes a pedestrian midfield look like world beaters. I would rather chase Merrett or someone who actually improves the spread of quality in the midfield and get a good older ruck like a Pittonet or Hickey type.

I think the logical next choice is Goldstein who is a bit younger than Ryder then the following year hit up NicNat for a year.

By the time NicNat retires Gawn will be 31 so we get him for 2 years until Grundy hits his early 30s and comes out of his Massive contract. Means we get 2 elite experienced rucks take the field for the next 5-6 years and it costs us zero draft picks - it’s fool proof.

We can be the ‘one last shot at glory’ for the AFL’s retiring ruckman.

Marshall will have had more AFL partners than Mia Fevola by the time he retires. Oh s**t I went there.

Last edited:

I very much hope we don't have pick 3 in any national drafts in the foreseeable future.

As I've said elsewhere, Melbourne are now reaping the rewards of their being a rabble for two straight seasons after making a prelim final. It is not a "strategy" I am minded to following.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back