24. James Frawley - Link
25. Dean Kent - Link
38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

which makes me feel Ill, high potential player looking to break into the midfield, has some serious wow moments in there, but it's patchy. then breaks down with injury. which means there is significant chunks of this season and last gone.

He's the one X factor player we have, I'd hold onto him.

I’m happy with either option. I just don’t think we land a Taranto and I’m not overly interested in Cerra. I also think there is better value then Billings for us.

we literally have 3 options.
A) double draft pick aka Coffield and Clark - but use the salary in 22 or 23 for a FA
B) the Kid and the star trade
C)re-sign JB and draft with our pick

option C is appealing if he can get the $$$ down

Was 2017 not Billings 2nd statistical best year?
he struggled in 2018. Average disposal dropped to below Clark’s current average for 18 - not that it is the greatest indicator. Just pointing out the flaw in your logic.

secondly, Clark is averaging those numbers in a side where he is playing Half forward/Half Back/ small on ball time and was still massive last week when the game was to be won as he was against GWS. I back him to be a better player then Billings in 4 years time.

Lastly for all these numbers, has he had a huge impact on winning?

Stats insider consider Billings to be the 239th best player in the comp. Below Dunstan, Battle, Webster, Geary, Higgins, Crouch Coffield, Membrey, Ryder, Josh Bruce, Butler, Howard, Jones, Marshall, Clark, Gresham and Steele. Clark is rated our 3rd best player already.

He was also shot by 28 and retired at 30
Yeah I know. Not actually sure what point I was trying to make tbh

Oh wait I know. I love Yeo. Would love to have him here if he was available. Let him be the injury prone mid we go for this year.

Rumour doing the rounds is that Ben King will reunite with his brother at the Saints at the end of his contract.

Apparently the AFL are going to give the Saints an additional "KingTwin" allowance outside of the salary to spend specifically on Ben King.

AFL reckons the extra cash will be money well spent because of the long term benefits to the AFL in seeing the King twins deliver a fairytale 2nd flag to the Saints.

Book mark it!!!!

Rumour doing the rounds is that Ben King will reunite with his brother at the Saints at the end of his contract.

Apparently the AFL are going to give the Saints an additional "KingTwin" allowance outside of the salary to spend specifically on Ben King.

AFL reckons the extra cash will be money well spent because of the long term benefits to the AFL in seeing the King twins deliver a fairytale 2nd flag to the Saints.

Book mark it!!!!

You'd sound legit if you'd said that the AFL have decided to let Gold Coast chase Max and pay him an ambassador wage outside the cap and get given a free first round pick to get him.

You'd sound legit if you'd said that the AFL have decided to let Gold Coast chase Max and pay him an ambassador wage outside the cap and get given a free first round pick to get him.
No Gringo its all true.

Gil is incredibly concerned that the front running Hawks supporters are falling away like flies and AFL revenue is gonna be dramatically affected.

The whole East of Melbourne is there for the Saints and Gil is convinced the KingTwins will deliver a new Saints dynasty.

Maybe winning isn’t all that is important for him.
It already sounds like a very tired cliché but football really is a business more than ever before. A very handsomely paid career can be cut short or generally hindered very easily, so why not cash in while fit and healthy? He could get an offer that is simply silly to pass up. Loyalty does still often prevail, but I couldn’t begrudge him taking an opportunity he’d never get again.
I absolutely want him to stay, personally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are bumping about just out of the eight or bottom eight, we need to chage up. Would hope Billings is a part of that of course, hugely underrated player and unfairly compared to Bont, but if he gets a silly offer, we really can't compete, we are not strung out, but a bit tight on SC, we need more class midfielders and it is almost a fait accompli that we will have Ben King in 2023.

If, and a big if this happens, we get so wriggle room. the way this season is tracking we will have a probably pick 5-8, a Band 1 gives us another top ten pick.

I like the idea of trading for someone like Taranto with a top ten and a sweetner later pick, and using the other for the best kid (mid in my eyes). This means we have used our first round dp in the past two years.

If we really want Ben King we will need to 1st round dps so we can use 2022 and 2023 with a second coming back or something like that.

Some one put up our under 25 age profile recently, both Taranto and King would add to that (and the kid from this years top ten) so we are not mortgaging our future.

there is also SC issues, reckon tranato would be offered about 600k so potentially 150k less than Billings 750k, King at end of 2022 would be worth his contract less the 150k AFL blood money he gets paid a year.

So that is conservatively 300k a year less going forward, gaining Taranto and King and a top 10, Losing Billings and maybe three first round dp's.

And of course Billings will sign with us and all this spitballing will be just for fun :D

You mention Taranto a lot.
Genuine question - has he mentioned anywhere that he is keen to come back to Vic?

( Unlike Heeney 😉🤣)

Maybe winning isn’t all that is important for him.
It already sounds like a very tired cliché but football really is a business more than ever before. A very handsomely paid career can be cut short or generally hindered very easily, so why not cash in while fit and healthy? He could get an offer that is simply silly to pass up. Loyalty does still often prevail, but I couldn’t begrudge him taking an opportunity he’d never get again.
I absolutely want him to stay, personally.
If it happens that he goes then we'll receive competition.
He's already had several opportunities to go elsewhere but has stuck phat and has acknowledged he's in for a pay cut this contract.
Let's not confuse JB's manager's very predictable drum beating with his attitude toward the club or anything else, and keep the shots above the belt..

Genuine question - has he mentioned anywhere that he is keen to come back to Vic?

( Unlike Heeney 😉🤣)
Don’t you destroy the dream Diehard!!!!

No Gringo its all true.

Gil is incredibly concerned that the front running Hawks supporters are falling away like flies and AFL revenue is gonna be dramatically affected.

The whole East of Melbourne is there for the Saints and Gil is convinced the KingTwins will deliver a new Saints dynasty.

Would be brilliant - but since when has the AFL done us any favours?
Sorry, I’m sceptical on one hand whilst (gullible me) is hoping you’re correct on the other.
Can you imagine the outcry from the rest of the league?

Taranto is a bit better than a ball butcher but he is a predominantly inside type of mid. green on a class type though, foot skills would be nice. I have hope that Bytel can become our Taranto type with games.

looks and kicks it like an inside kid but really plays and gets most of his stats as an outside accumulator atm, if we go for him we’d need to develop him to be more influential a la Steele

The Billings stuff smacks of agent talk to try and drive his price up. All decent RFAs are linked to clubs with cap space either through lazy journalism or agents trying to get more money.

If North really are offering up a huge long term contract then we’d probably have to let him walk. I just don’t think they would be interested in offering him that much.

I think he ends up staying with us on a decent contract around what he is on now. Even slightly less.

If he goes anywhere I reckon it will be Essendon given that his family have ties to the club, they have cap space and Connors is his agent. Similar to Shiel it will be smoke and mirrors with other clubs scrambling for his signature while he works out a deal with them in the background.

Last edited:
The Billings stuff smacks of agent talk to try and drive his price up. All decent RFAs are linked to these clubs either through lazy journalism or agents trying to get more money.

If North really are offering up a huge long term contract then we’d probably have to let him walk. I just don’t think they would be interested in offering him that much.

I think he ends up staying with us on a decent contract around what he is on now. Even slightly less.

If he goes anywhere I reckon it will be Essendon given that his family have ties to the club, they have cap space and Connors is his agent. Similar to Shiel it will be smoke and mirrors with other clubs scrambling for his signature while he works out a deal with them in the background.
I think you're right mate. Essendon would be a better fit than north.

looks and kicks it like an inside kid but really plays and gets most of his stats as an outside accumulator atm, if we go for him we’d need to develop him to be more influential a la Steele

That's more to fit Hopper and Green inside. Early on his contested possessions were through the roof.

( Unlike Heeney )
Things change from the start of the season, but back then Saints right into the local boy.
Nothing guaranteed, see Kelly for details

stavro#4 here is my worry:
View attachment 1126293

essentially what we are saying is billings at pick 3 didnt come on as we had hoped and at 700k+ he's disposable, because his output at 26 isn't at an elite mid level. we thought every year that billings would eventually break out into an elite mid, probably on the wing. but its just never happened.

so then we look to the younger players we have and we look to their potential. say we take the highest potential mid in Clark, he's still under performing compared to Billings at the same age.

that's why i have no confidence in our ability to hit the draft.

I'm not having a crack at your suggestion either, it's exactly what we should be doing. problem is our recruitment and development is sub par that I don't think we can consider it.
Clark is our 3rd best in the AFL player ratings for this year which I think is a bit more accurate (billings is further down the list). It matches the eye test, he is impacting games more.

Billings does some great things, but he never feels like a game changer except for the bulldogs game 5 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back