41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
We'll just have to hope that him and Highmore are guns then. I reckon you want one gun and one 100+ gamer at least out of every draft to keep up improvement. The less access you get and the more speculative you get the less likely that is to happen. Even Geelong and Richmond seem to bring in a new batch of kids every year. Balta came in the same draft as Clark and Coffield and is already an established star. They also got Higgins who they couldn't keep but they had limited access and still took two high quality players and in Balta's case they played him until he was good.

I still have concerns about our list management and drafting although it's outstandingly better than it was under Richo. Part of the way we are patching up now is damage from the past too.
I think since Libba has taken over our drafting has been good, but I've gotta agree with you that last year just makes no sense.

If there were two areas thought we'd go into the draft not needing it was another key forward and another 3rd tall defender.

People will say you've just gotta take the best available but when your first pick is in the mid 20's it's always going to be a gamble so why not take that gamble on someone that suits your needs?

FQFjt

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think since Libba has taken over our drafting has been good, but I've gotta agree with you that last year just makes no sense.

If there were two areas thought we'd go into the draft not needing it was another key forward and another 3rd tall defender.

People will say you've just gotta take the best available but when your first pick is in the mid 20's it's always going to be a gamble so why not take that gamble on someone that suits your needs?

Agree. I suppose time will tell if we let anyone slide. At this early stage, Gulden certainly did.

FQFjt

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
He's a Sydney academy kid so wasn't available.

I was expecting us to consider O'Driscoll who was taken with the following pick I think.

But we didn't make a bid. No doubt Sydney would have matched, but it does suggest that we didn't rank Gulden as worth of 26. Of course, it would have been academic and every club seemed to get that one wrong, seeing as Geelong bid on him at 32, but it's good to note where mistakes are made nonetheless.

snails13

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Did you end up going Stewy?

If so there are a couple I'd like to hear about.

Big Heath in the ruck and Mckay in the midfield look like possible mid season prospects, did either go any good?

Also our boy Paris?

Sandy also have 3 top 10 prospects in Sinn, Howes and Cheeser apparently

Don't mind the sound of Chesser
Heath 2 Disposals and 15 Hit Outs
McKay 17 Disposals
Peris(NGA) 7 Disposals
Howes 12 Disp
Sinn 20
Chesser 20
Windhager(NGA) 16
Owens (NGA) 12
McLennan (NGA) 13

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Heath 2 Disposals and 15 Hit Outs
McKay 17 Disposals
Peris(NGA) 7 Disposals
Howes 12 Disp
Sinn 20
Chesser 20
Windhager(NGA) 16
Owens (NGA) 12
McLennan (NGA) 13

Thought Chesser & Edwards very promising

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
There is another lad at Sandy Dragons that has shot past Max Heath as No1 Ruck and his name is Jake Edwards(202 cm).
Several AFL clubs are looking at him
I think the reason we were keen to look at Heath was he's available in the mid season draft.

Doesn't look like he's setting the world on fire though.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
We'll just have to hope that him and Highmore are guns then. I reckon you want one gun and one 100+ gamer at least out of every draft to keep up improvement. The less access you get and the more speculative you get the less likely that is to happen. Even Geelong and Richmond seem to bring in a new batch of kids every year. Balta came in the same draft as Clark and Coffield and is already an established star. They also got Higgins who they couldn't keep but they had limited access and still took two high quality players and in Balta's case they played him until he was good.

I still have concerns about our list management and drafting although it's outstandingly better than it was under Richo. Part of the way we are patching up now is damage from the past too.
So Richmond have found a great player in one the past 4 drafts and he's become best 22? Good for them.

We have high quality players from the past 4 drafts in our best 22 as well. I dont understand this 'woe is us' mentality that you have about our drafting in recent years when we have plenty of recently drafted players making us a better team.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
So Richmond have found a great player in one the past 4 drafts and he's become best 22? Good for them.

We have high quality players from the past 4 drafts in our best 22 as well. I dont understand this 'woe is us' mentality that you have about our drafting in recent years when we have plenty of recently drafted players making us a better team.
We had 3 players in the 22 and under side last year and it was a fair argument to suggest Paton should have been there.

I agree with Gringo about last year's draft but it's very early days. It's far from all gloom and doom. We were running with the 4th youngest 22 on average last year.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think the reason we were keen to look at Heath was he's available in the mid season draft.

Doesn't look like he's setting the world on fire though.
Edit: just saw that this kid is also 19 so available for the mid season draft.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

McKay another one worth looking at. Named in the best on the weekend.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Allison is listed as 194cm (after reportedly having grown about 10cm in the year leading up to the draft), and his preferred position is 'high half forward'. Not sure that classifies as key position in the modern game.
Heard him on a podcast a few weeks ago say he was up to 195cm now and has put on about 10kg recently. The club is planning on trying him both up forward and down back in the VFL this year.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
We had 3 players in the 22 and under side last year and it was a fair argument to suggest Paton should have been there.

I agree with Gringo about last year's draft but it's very early days. It's far from all gloom and doom. We were running with the 4th youngest 22 on average last year.
Alison was underwhelming the moment is name was called out but I think part of the TV coverage was thrown off by the 2nd last name being added.

He still have a lot of development to go but watching him a few times, he looks fairly promising. He the type who does a few things every training session that makes you stop and take notice.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't think there is anything that follows the midseason draft. We have haven't moved Paton and Gresh to the LTI injury lists yet but we could if we wanted which would open up 2 more spots for us.
Was going by this paragraph here:

Seven clubs – Collingwood and Melbourne (two each), Essendon, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, St Kilda and Sydney – have list spots available for the mid-season draft while other clubs will be able to send players with long-term injuries to the inactive list to open up further spots for the rookie selection meeting, which is scheduled for June 2.

Sounds like the mid-season draft is for those clubs who have a list spot free, while the rookie selection meeting is for clubs to add someone to their rookie list if they’ve got one or more on the LTI list.

Which makes sense, because if someone’s injured they’re still on your senior list, so if you added another to it from the midseason draft you’d have too many on your senior list.

But it’s not super-clear. The “mid-season draft” and “rookie selection meeting” might be the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back