Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Surely Higgins isn't OOC?

Bit early to call on Dunstan too, I'm sure he'd love to stay but maybe not confident of playing every week with us.

Sep 27, 2012
Behind You
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
Took this off of Footywire website - it could be wrong I don't know.
Had a quick search but cant find anything except that he had a contract for this year at Richmond and that he would get a multi year deal signing with us.
Swear I read 2023 somewhere but it is lockdown so I may have just lost the plot

Sep 22, 2015
Hovering above you...
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Fulham
Would rather keep Dunstan over Billings.

Unfortunately has gone backwards rapidly in impact and performance since year 1 and 2.

Blame coaching/development whatever you want, but not worth paying more than 450k on current output. Does not take the game on, cannot win a 50/50 contested ball in fact slows down for it.

If we could get a early 2nd rounder I would take that. Look to get a key defender in If we don't rate Clav/Joyce as one or take it to the draft.

I wanted McKenzie delisted last year, but this year pretty much playing the same position as Billings he him covered in terms of output and performance even though Billings stats look better on paper.

Time to move him on, won't be getting us far and let's hope we can draft/trade someone in that will.

Well it looks like Dunstan's gone , really he is the sort of player the Suns need - hopefully we get something early in the 2nd round for him.
unless they match what they want for him and he changes his mind.

They got rid of Lyons for being too much like Dunstan. Will Brodie doesn't get a game either.

MrFoster

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
He is actually a confident guy among the group. Confident in his ability etc etc.

He is a good player.

but in the make up of our list and our aspirations. He isn’t worth 700k+ to us.

for someone like North he is, as they have no one else to pay and you must use your cap across 3 years.

we are at the point where, Steele is a star and he is getting 650k. We need to re up him next year. We need to bring in others to get better etc.

It starts getting very tight
Exactly, Steele should be the one getting the top dollar. Billings, Ross should get no where near it on current output.. even Max King..

MrFoster

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Amon seems to be brave and take the game on. Billings is definitely head of the beige brigade. Never makes a mistake and rarely does anything stupid but lacks dare and bravery in his decision making. We looked at our best in the last month where we did high risk stuff that came off. In the Port game they definitely seemed to go into safety first mode which seems to be the same mode that we chose late in games and get pegged back.

The risky stuff seems to adrenalize them, when they play safe the seem to go to sleep.
For a player with supposedly good skills, Billings is a very ordinary kick, unable to hit any field or forward targets under even a little bit of pressure.. The 10-15 metre side way chip doesn’t count.. In my mind, both Byrnes and Connelly had already shown more football nous and skills than Billings in 7 years.. so he can go get paid big bucks elsewhere and we can draft more guns like Brynes and Connelly, win/win.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
What part of the stats are padded out? 14 goals for the year and a massive amount of hitouts dont lie, regardless of how good your eye is. Big difference when you are on 2nd on the ladder with 10 players dominating each week, you are not going to stand out much as a ruck at the Bulldogs. Dont we pad the stats out for our players? No problems with Marshall being 2nd behind Steele, most observers would say that.

Well to start with Roma’s hitouts numbers are directly effected by the simple fact that Paddy is our #1 ruckman. English was their #1 once Stef Martin was injured… He had Bruce giving him a chop out. Result; more hitouts.

English also played a few games as a permanent forward. Roma hasn’t spent as much time forward until recently.

Stats are undoubtedly effected by how a team is set up as well as their game plan. Some have direct game plans & some play possession games.

To rely on stats as a means of measuring a player’s quality its very misleading IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Mohr

Club Legend
Jun 18, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well to start with Roma’s hitouts numbers are directly effected by the simple fact that Paddy is our #1 ruckman. English was their #1 once Stef Martin was injured… He had Bruce giving him a chop out. Result; more hitouts.

English also played a few games as a permanent forward. Roma hasn’t spent as much time forward until recently.

Stats are undoubtedly effected by how a team is set up as well as their game plan. Some have direct game plans & some play possession games.

To rely on stats as a means of measuring a player’s quality its very misleading IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So if Marshall is getting less hitouts and kicking less goals, less of most things actually then how is he having a bigger influence on games than English? especially when the bulldogs have won 13 games and we have won 8.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
So if Marshall is getting less hitouts and kicking less goals, less of most things actually then how is he having a bigger influence on games than English? especially when the bulldogs have won 13 games and we have won 8.
English looks like a Ken doll with a broom stuck up his arse... Marshall every day, he’s barely got up and running this year.

They've admitted they got the Lyons call wrong though.

Brodie isn't very good. Maybe he will come good eventually.

2019 Brodie looked like Constable, got plenty of it. some suggest he's not much of a two way runner but he looked pretty good to me. They dropped Fiorini even though he looked lie one of their best around that time too. Dew gets pissy about players and cuts them out.

PandaG

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would rather keep Dunstan over Billings.

Unfortunately has gone backwards rapidly in impact and performance since year 1 and 2.

Blame coaching/development whatever you want, but not worth paying more than 450k on current output. Does not take the game on, cannot win a 50/50 contested ball in fact slows down for it.

If we could get a early 2nd rounder I would take that. Look to get a key defender in If we don't rate Clav/Joyce as one or take it to the draft.

I wanted McKenzie delisted last year, but this year pretty much playing the same position as Billings he him covered in terms of output and performance even though Billings stats look better on paper.

Time to move him on, won't be getting us far and let's hope we can draft/trade someone in that will.
No Billings is a better player than dunstan
Dunstan has had a few good games but I wouldn’t mind be a defender next year when we play Gold Coast and he is kicking into the forward line.

If dunstan does go we should look at Matt crouch…similar player

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
No Billings is a better player than dunstan
Dunstan has had a few good games but I wouldn’t mind be a defender next year when we play Gold Coast and he is kicking into the forward line.

If dunstan does go we should look at Matt crouch…similar player
Dunstan being a unrestricted free agent means he can walk to any club and most probably will - as Gold Coast has already said they have told St Kilda they are interested in him Dunstan he is most probably already looking at a house to buy , never know he might rent one with Lonie.

Gavinmitchell11

All Australian
Sep 17, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Pretty indifferent about billings. Would be happy if he stays but would understand why he or the club would want to move on.
He was touted as someone with great skills when he was drafted but obviously he’s had troubles in front of goals and I can’t think of any times he’s really wow’d me (like Connelly did last sat) with his field kicks. He’s a nice player but I don’t know how becauseI can’t even think of his greatest asset as a player... football IQ maybe?

Aug 28, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Coventry City
McKernan
Frawley
Roberton
Carlisle
Geary
Alabakis

I’d be letting all these guys go. Keep Kent and Wood for forward depth and Joyce for KPD depth. Clavarino is still young and I think deserves another season to prove himself at the top level.

Maybe keep Alabakis if we haven’t got anyone lined up for that Category B Rookie spot.

Don’t think I’ve missed anyone.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dunstan being a unrestricted free agent means he can walk to any club and most probably will - as Gold Coast has already said they have told St Kilda they are interested in him Dunstan he is most probably already looking at a house to buy , never know he might rent one with Lonie.

Might be trying to push him up so that we can't use money on Ben King.

Just read an interesting stat.

We are 6th in the comp for clearance differential but worst for clearance efficiency.

Sounds about right. We seem to just bomb away rather than use our outside players as the set up kick inside 50.Hll has gone back and guys like Dmac, Byrnes and Battle are playing the wings. They are more agricultural in their ball use than silky.

It would be working if the forwards were converting. If we had a gun small forward like peak Charlie Cameron we'd be very dangerous. Wish we had a Kosi Pickett type.

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds united, Chicago Bulls
Might be trying to push him up so that we can't use money on Ben King.
Not an issue. Money is there. Nice little red white and black bow on it.

I think mummy and daddy king are probably getting his room ready for his return.

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds united, Chicago Bulls
Won’t be upset if Luke goes. But I hope he gets a long contract on very good money.

because he deserves it. Not because we deserve the best pick 😜😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back