24. James Frawley - Link
25. Dean Kent - Link
38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Any suggestions? How many AFL quality rucks would want to come in and play the fill in games so Paddy can have a rest. We could pick up a state league ruckman, but we already have one
Agree. We picked up a guy who was a good state league ruck last year i Hunter. Anyone we get from a state league is likely to be of a similar standard.
Also keep in mind that we picked up Max Heath in the mid season draft. I’d like to him start the season as Sandy’s number one ruck. Would love to see him become the truck/forward to support Marshall.

Can somebody with an elite mind tell me how we line up with Bing and Ming?

I guess you look at Cameron and Tommahawk or Lynch/Riewoldt as examples. I'd probably prefer to invest in a midfield gun. North had a gun forward in Brown and did nothing, GWS had Cameron and did nothing, Carlton have the Coleman medalist this year but probably don't play finals. I'd rather a dominant midfield myself. That money and draft capital could be better used IMO. But looks like I just have to hope this works better than I think it will or that we develop our own.

Too old
31….need another Doogs
Just dont know why the club doesn’t seriously consider Battle as a key back.
Also a lot of stink around his character.
character is an issue but would be the ultimate cheap depth. Same vein as Frawley, you hope to not use him but if Dougs ever goes down he'd be a fitting replacement. Plenty of skill and experience

Looking at the players that are out of contract at the end of the season, the players I'd be delisting/retiring would be: Kent, Frawley, McKernan, Hunter, Carlisle and Geary. We probably only keep 1 of Clavarino and Joyce, but I'd learn more towards Clavarino. Alabakis probably goes, but could see him staying since he costs us nothing other than a cat b rookie spot.

Would having 8 players retire/delisted in one season be a bit too much after the 10 or so we had last season?

Looking at the players that are out of contract at the end of the season, the players I'd be delisting/retiring would be: Kent, Frawley, McKernan, Hunter, Carlisle and Geary. We probably only keep 1 of Clavarino and Joyce, but I'd learn more towards Clavarino. Alabakis probably goes, but could see him staying since he costs us nothing other than a cat b rookie spot.

Would having 8 players retire/delisted in one season be a bit too much after the 10 or so we had last season?
7-8 would be the right number..

I reckon Carlisle would be worth giving another year to. We don’t have anyone else on our list to play that roll and it wouldn’t cost us much.

just ticked through the essendon vfl replay, mccartin was good, great leading patterns, good judge of the flight, splits packs when he needs to. Kicking was so so, but he either marked or was rewarded a free every time they kicked it to him. We should rookie him, could be a great second foil for king, ala membrey (should he get injured or have a poor run of form)

Looks a lot skinnier too. Still no bronze statue but definitely lost weight

I guess you look at Cameron and Tommahawk or Lynch/Riewoldt as examples. I'd probably prefer to invest in a midfield gun. North had a gun forward in Brown and did nothing, GWS had Cameron and did nothing, Carlton have the Coleman medalist this year but probably don't play finals. I'd rather a dominant midfield myself. That money and draft capital could be better used IMO. But looks like I just have to hope this works better than I think it will or that we develop our own.
THE Thommo Hawke??

I reckon Carlisle would be worth giving another year to. We don’t have anyone else on our list to play that roll and it wouldn’t cost us much.
Frawley , McKernan , Geary , Roberton are automatically gone - just injury prone and can't afford to carry on the list.
I hate to say it but after Carlisle back operation, he is most probably finished - I wish it wasn't , but I would say it is.
So that is 5 automatically out of the side.
You would say Alabakis is gone as well knowing we picked up Heath and will be grabbing someone better than Hunter.

So that will be 7 positions and most probably Dunstan goes and it will take it to 8 positions and I would not rule out Lonie and Billings from leaving.

Frawley , McKernan , Geary , Roberton are automatically gone - just injury prone and can't afford to carry on the list.
I hate to say it but after Carlisle back operation, he is most probably finished - I wish it wasn't , but I would say it is.
You would say Alabakis is gone as well knowing we picked up Heath and will be grabbing someone better than Hunter.

So that will be 7 positions and most probably Dunstan goes and it will take it to 8 positions and I would not rule out Lonie and Billings from leaving.
God I hope Hanners is moved on at years end

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Already 2 list positions down aswell

Looking back through teams de-listings it look's like the average amount of players that get de-listed is 9 , a couple teams de-listed 12 and another team moved on 7 in 2019

The average in 2018 was around 10 , however the Suns de-listed 15 and , Blues 14 and Nth 13.

So 10 would be no problem , however now the squads have been reduced so you will see teams finding it harder to store speculative draft picks into the squad that a lot of teams do.

We are in a good position to pick up a couple useful players from teams that can't fit them into there squad through salary cap or list positional changes.

I think the days of getting a skinny 18yr ruck and holding him for 5 years to develop might be gone , they may let them develop in the state leagues.

Already 2 list positions down aswell
Net year teams are alotted 44 players which include rookies etc and we currently have 44
A few teams have a couple extra , the Suns have a extra 6 players which was a agreement with the AFL

AFL Club Lists for 2021
ClubSenior ListRookiesAverage AgeAge RankAverage GamesGames RankAverage GoalsGoals RankAverage VotesVotes Rank
Adelaide38 players8 (+0 cat B)23.6 years18th54.0 games16th29.0 goals14th8.2 votes14th
Brisbane38 players5 (+2 cat B)23.9 years14th60.7 games12th36.4 goals10th8.6 votes12th
Carlton36 players8 (+1 cat B)24.3 years11th65.7 games8th40.8 goals6th8.0 votes15th
Collingwood36 players6 (+2 cat B)24.2 years12th62.6 games11th39.1 goals8th11.9 votes6th
Essendon36 players8 (+2 cat B)23.8 years15th53.7 games17th31.0 goals13th7.7 votes16th
Fremantle36 players6 (+1 cat B)24.0 years13th58.2 games13th28.0 goals15th10.0 votes8th
Geelong38 players4 (+2 cat B)25.4 years1st88.0 games1st73.5 goals1st18.9 votes1st
Gold Coast38 players10 (+2 cat B)23.7 years16th51.9 games18th20.2 goals18th3.3 votes18th
Greater Western Sydney37 players7 (+1 cat B)24.5 years7th56.2 games15th27.0 goals16th8.5 votes13th
Hawthorn36 players9 (+1 cat B)24.4 years9th67.2 games6th48.9 goals5th9.6 votes9th
Melbourne36 players8 (+1 cat B)24.6 years6th65.0 games9th34.5 goals11th9.5 votes10th
North Melbourne36 players7 (+1 cat B)23.7 years17th56.8 games14th27.0 goals17th6.4 votes17th
Port Adelaide36 players6 (+1 cat B)24.4 years8th69.6 games5th40.5 goals7th12.4 votes4th
Richmond35 players8 (+1 cat B)24.8 years4th73.7 games4th53.5 goals3rd13.5 votes2nd
St Kilda36 players7 (+1 cat B)25.2 years2nd74.7 games3rd36.8 goals9th8.8 votes11th
Sydney37 players6 (+1 cat B)24.3 years10th64.5 games10th52.8 goals4th12.4 votes5th
West Coast37 players7 (+0 cat B)24.9 years3rd76.9 games2nd53.6 goals2nd12.6 votes3rd
Western Bulldogs35 players7 (+1 cat B)24.7 years5th66.0 games7th31.9 goals12th10.8 votes7th

We 100% sure gears wont get a gig?

Others 100% gone

Hanners ive got a feeling will stay on
Not my preferred choice tho
If he wants to play on he'll get a contract, repeated injuries over the last 2-3 years could mean he retires though

I think his back is ruined. I was one of his biggest fans, but I think he's properly broken at this stage ☹
Yeah. If his back is cooked of course. But if it’s right then it’s worth another year

We 100% sure gears wont get a gig?

Others 100% gone

Hanners ive got a feeling will stay on
Not my preferred choice tho
Wouldnt surprise me if he gets another year. With all the soft cap cuts, he could serve as a playing coach type figure

But if that happens, we need to make Steele sole captain and Gears has to be prepared to play at Sandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back