24. James Frawley - Link
25. Dean Kent - Link
38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Can somebody with an elite mind tell me how we line up with Bing and Ming?

To be honest even if Bing said he wanted to go I think GC would hold him to his contract.

would only work if a big name wanted to get there and they need a pick from us and salary cap space, knowing Bing leaves in 2023

they already have three picks in top 22 picks and don’t need more kids

To be honest even if Bing said he wanted to go I think GC would hold him to his contract.

would only work if a big name wanted to get there and they need a pick from us and salary cap space, knowing Bing leaves in 2023

Talk they are into Lobb from freo

Yes, he is not a bad footballer with a bit of skill. Just cant fit in there...unless Selwood retires.
Signed for one more year recently.
We got Membrey because Goodes signed on for another year, maybe we can convince him too.

If Bing said he wanted to go to the Saints or anywhere else for that matter, GC would be foolish to make him stay. If they trade him now they could get a lot more in return, as he’s still on a contract, unlike the end of 2022. I guess you could compare it to the Dunkley situation last off season, but the Doggies weren’t happy with the trade if my recollection serves me right, so they kept him. Interesting to see what happens this off season.

For the record, I don’t think Bing will be heading back to Melbourne anytime soon, but hopefully we land him end of 2022. I think some underestimate how big that would be for the club - they would both be fighting for Colemans and the membership would go through the roof. Happy with Ming for the time being :)

Edit: furthermore, really hoping we land some good youth this off season. If we did get the King twins together we would want to make sure we had the troops both young and experienced to exploit such an advantage! Higgins to crumb like a mad man.

If Bing said he wanted to go to the Saints or anywhere else for that matter, GC would be foolish to make him stay. If they trade him now they could get a lot more in return, as he’s still on a contract, unlike the end of 2022. I guess you could compare it to the Dunkley situation last off season, but the Doggies weren’t happy with the trade if my recollection serves me right, so they kept him. Interesting to see what happens this off season.

For the record, I don’t think Bing will be heading back to Melbourne anytime soon, but hopefully we land him end of 2022. I think some underestimate how big that would be for the club - they would both be fighting for Colemans and the membership would go through the roof. Happy with Ming for the time being :)

Edit: furthermore, really hoping we land some good youth this off season. If we did get the King twins together we would want to make sure we had the troops both young and experienced to exploit such an advantage! Higgins to crumb like a mad man.
Would be magical to have both playing for us.
Would change the club for a long long time

Would be magical to have both playing for us.
Would change the club for a long long time
Gold Coast are looking for a experienced forward to team up with Bing and are willing to trade off there top draft picks for it.
So getting him with 1 year to go on his contract is not going to work , they will hold him to the contract and hope they can talk him around to stay.

Stav you’re in the camp who want him out the door for an imaginary at this stage first round pick.

The reality is billings was and still is a very good player, the kind you’re not getting for a pick in the twenties at the draft in all probability or for $400 thousand a year. If we let him walk for less than a first we’re mad a will live to regret it.

No amount of undeserved bagging will change that and I hope we wise up and he stays.
Sorry, Byrnes (pick 52) and Connelly (pick 67) in their 2nd year already having more impact than Billings in his 8th year.. So, yes, we can replace Billings, and easily..

He is paid $700k? Steele is 10*times the player Billings is, and he is paid less than Billings.. how?

Most people can comfortably name 10 Saints who are better and more deserving of a salary Billings wants then Billings.

Turning up a few times over his career isn’t my definition of a match winner. For all the talent - he is inconsistent and isn’t worth anything more then 500k.

In a league ruled by a salary cap - we cannot afford to be tying up so much of it on JB. Especially when our cap is tight.
He played a match winning game in 8 seasons and all of a sudden he is a match winner? oh please, some people just can’t accept the fact that Billings never lived up to his potential and has been living on potential after being drafted..

Is he a match winner like Green, Grey, Papley, Degoey, Cameron, Stringer? no, not even close..

Butler showed what a impactful half forward should be last year, will take Butler over Billings any day..

He played a match winning game in 8 seasons and all of a sudden he is a match winner? oh please, some people just can’t accept the fact that Billings never lived up to his potential and has been living on potential after being drafted..

Is he a match winner like Green, Grey, Papley, Degoey, Cameron, Stringer? no, not even close..

Butler showed what a impactful half forward should be last year, will take Butler over Billings any day..
LOL Match winner, maybe twice in his whole career

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like everyone agrees, at the right price we may as well keep Billings, at the wrong price we let him go.

IMO his range is $400k to $600k. At $400k he's a no brainer, at $500k he's fine, at $600k he's a stretch but most likely keep him if we're nearing a window. Above that we take the compensation pick.

Sorry, Byrnes (pick 52) and Connelly (pick 67) in their 2nd year already having more impact than Billings in his 8th year.. So, yes, we can replace Billings, and easily..

He is paid $700k? Steele is 10*times the player Billings is, and he is paid less than Billings.. how?

I'm not sure that's true yet but they are looking good. Billings pre injury was getting his 25 possessions most weeks and his skills are very good. Byrnes looks like the opposite type to Billings, quick, attacking minded, risk taking. Leo looks more the Billings type of user where his distribution is his weapon but he's playing more like a young Billings did, where he had confidence to try to step around players and use his kicking skills to break games open.

Steele has taken a hit for the team, he's getting paid way under what he'd get at market value. Not many players are willing to do that. Billings should be getting paid sub $500k. We just paid those guys like stars because a few years ago they were our best players.

When he is fit, he has shown to be a match winner like those you have listed above. But slightly different since when his foot isn't being injected multiple times every week to play the game, he spends more of his time on the wing rather than being a permeant forward or playing in the guts like those you mentioned.

Stringer, De Goey, Cameron are great comparisons to show what a difference being fit and healthy and being injured can have on a player. For example, last year Stringer wasn't fit and carried multiple injures, and his form was completely crap. Get's himself fit and injury free, and he gets Essendon over the line in multiple games this year. De Goey similar in that his match winning capabilities depend on him being fit. Cameron goes missing and can sook it up the minute he gets the smallest knock but when he gets a good run with his body, he can dominate.

Billings is playing significantly hampered this year but his form in the first part of the year, where he was arguably our 2nd best and consistent player behind Steele, showed the class and skill few on our list have. The foot injury he is playing through is significant and that's hurt is output but he has shown plenty of times how much of a quality footballer is he.

Seems like everyone agrees, at the right price we may as well keep Billings, at the wrong price we let him go.

IMO his range is $400k to $600k. At $400k he's a no brainer, at $500k he's fine, at $600k he's a stretch but most likely keep him if we're nearing a window. Above that we take the compensation pick.
Yep- all revolves around what anyone else is prepared to offer, which is exactly the same as Crouch.

Then it comes down to us deciding whether we are prepared to pay the extra to keep Billings compared to how we value the compo Pick. And how we value the compo depends on what we want to do with the pick.

Lets say Billings gets a $600 x 4 offer and the AFL say that's end of Round 1 compo (low 20's).

Probably not compo enough in itself for losing Billings, BUT if that Pick was needed to help us get say Ben King, we'd probably do it in a heart beat.

Saad, Williams, Hanners, Caldwell - heaps of players get overpaid because of what the club needs.

The only way Billings will leave if he gets a "godfather" offer from another club. Unlikely but if it happens, band 1 is possible.
I'm pretty sure Lethlean and Gubby Allen will have something planned for trade and draft period , with Allen's knowledge of Lion's ,GWS and Magpies he would have inside information on just about all the players at the clubs.
The manager's of the players know Allen usually gets a deal done if the club have the assets to do so and this year they would of already earmarked a couple players we need and if the are of quality , Billings will be traded if it will help secure a guy we need , because as we know Billings is replaceable in our current side.

Last year we had nothing to trade with and they pulled off the Brad Crouch trade and when you look at the trade we got him for nothing , in the draft we had pick 26 and 46 so we never had draft picks to secure anyone else.

So with a few players un-signed Allen will be rubbing his hands together because this year he will have be able haggle and land a guy to improve the list.

The thing that I want to know is who they are aiming at getting with our first round draft pick.

To me I would attempted to get this guy - he looks like a clone of Battle and we could play one at CHB and the other at CHF and not on the wings.

JarrodBrander9-300x225.png

Height194.6cmWeight92.3kgBirthdayFebruary 11, 1999

DRAFT ANALYSIS: "The best swingman in the 2017 draft pool, with healthy debate ongoing about where the mobile tall plays his best football."

OVERVIEW
Jarrod Brander first came on the scene as an Under 16 footballer, earning a scholarship for schooling at Geelong Grammar. Brander represented NSW-ACT throughout the National AFL Under 16 Championships in 2015, booting 20 plus goals for Geelong Grammar as a Year 10 in the APS school boy First XVIII competition – the strongest schoolboy competition in Australia. Brander injured his knee in 2016, which restricted him at times – but it was his performance in the APS v AGSV Rep game at the end of the 2016 season where he had 26 disposals and marked the ball well playing in defence. Coming into 2017 there has been a lot of debate where he best plays, switching between the two throughout the season. The GWS Academy member was also ruled ineligible to be selection by GWS early in the season and therefore is now open to be selected by any club in the 2017 National AFL Draft.
STRENGTHS
  • Mobility
  • Set shot goal kicking
  • Versatile
For a player standing at 195cm – Brander moves very well inside 50 and when he is in defence. His agility time of 8.40 seconds at the National AFL Draft Combine suggest he has the capabilities when the ball is at ground level, where he can change direction and have a shot on goal, or pass the ball by hand or foot to a teammate. As a mobile forward or defender, Brander can play further up the ground rather than being isolated deep.
Brander possesses a thumping set shot goal kick. In the Allies’ narrow victory over Vic Metro in their final game of the National Under 18 Championships, Brander booted three goals and showed off his trademark kick from close or far to goal. His field kicking is also good, where he was trusted with kicking out for the Allies when playing in defence – but up forward he has a very good set shot that travels 50 metres regardless of how far from goal he is out.
Brander’s versatility makes him the best swingman of the 2017 AFL Draft pool. While starting most of his career as a forward, his performance in the APS v AGSV game in 2016 suggested that he has the capabilities of playing as a key defender. His intercept work and reading the flight of the ball are impressive in defence, where AFL National Talent Manager Mick Ablett has suggested where he best likes to see Brander play. For the Allies at times it was hard, with Brander’s magnet thrown around to either end – but he has spent most of his time for Geelong Grammar up forward, floating whichever way the wind was going in the second half of the season on the windy Saturday afternoons. He was a clear standout at Simonds Stadium for the Allies against Vic Metro, collecting 16 disposals, nine marks and booting three goals up forward.
IMPROVEMENTS
  • Consistency
An area of improvement for Brander (and like many key position players) are consistency. At times this year, we saw the best from Brander in a quarter – before going missing for some periods. At times he wasn’t helped by the lack of delivery from the Bendigo Pioneers’ midfielders, who were often outclassed by their opponents. But in the game where Paddy Dow linked up with Brander against Gippsland Power late in the season, he showed with good delivery he could perform well and impact the game.
DRAFT PROJECTION: 5-20
SUMMARY
The former GWS Academy member came into the year as a possible no.1 pick contender and while his name won’t be the first to be called out on draft night – Brander should be able to develop into an effective tall utility. There is healthy debate to what end he best plays his football, but regardless he is a skillful player that will find a home inside the first round.

Name​
Team​
Midfield, Forward​
Position​
Midfield, Forward​
21​
Career Games​
Bendigo Pioneers​
Origin​
Dandenong Stingrays​
February 11, 1999​
Date of Birth​
September 1, 1998​
22yr 5mth​
Age​
22yr 10mth​
195cm
Height​
193cm​
92kg​
Weight​
92kg​
Last Drafted In​
He was pick 13 in 2017 and after 4 years I would say he would only be worth a 2nd round draft pick which we should get from Dunstan or Billings.

Don’t worry, think the lowest pick we’ll get for Billings is end of 1st round.

Just another example imo of people putting the boot into billings.

I like Byrnes and Connolly but if either end up as good as billings it will be a massive win, at present their nowhere near him. Billings is on big money because he was lucky enough to get the maximum when we were throwing cash around. Steele taking unders in a different climate isn‘t relevant, what we’re prepared to offer billings now is.

Once again if billings is such a lousy player and so easy to replace then why are you so confident the lowest compensation we’ll receive is an end of first round pick.

Just another example imo of people putting the boot into billings.

I like Byrnes and Connolly but if either end up as good as billings it will be a massive win, at present their nowhere near him. Billings is on big money because he was lucky enough to get the maximum when we were throwing cash around. Steele taking unders in a different climate isn‘t relevant, what we’re prepared to offer billings now is.

Once again if billings is such a lousy player and so easy to replace then why are you so confident the lowest compensation we’ll receive is an end of first round pick.
We can't afford to lose Dunstan or Billings - both are in there prime , however it will all come down to if they are looking for a bigger salary than we can supply.
Just about every team will inquire about Billings , level head , good player and not injury prone - he is also one of the first players picked every week.

If we lose him I just hope we don't get screwed , it seems we do when players leave - Steven was a fine example , but in the end it looked like he was finished anyway.

When he is fit, he has shown to be a match winner like those you have listed above. But slightly different since when his foot isn't being injected multiple times every week to play the game, he spends more of his time on the wing rather than being a permeant forward or playing in the guts like those you mentioned.

Stringer, De Goey, Cameron are great comparisons to show what a difference being fit and healthy and being injured can have on a player. For example, last year Stringer wasn't fit and carried multiple injures, and his form was completely crap. Get's himself fit and injury free, and he gets Essendon over the line in multiple games this year. De Goey similar in that his match winning capabilities depend on him being fit. Cameron goes missing and can sook it up the minute he gets the smallest knock but when he gets a good run with his body, he can dominate.

Billings is playing significantly hampered this year but his form in the first part of the year, where he was arguably our 2nd best and consistent player behind Steele, showed the class and skill few on our list have. The foot injury he is playing through is significant and that's hurt is output but he has shown plenty of times how much of a quality footballer is he.

this ^^. Would not be surprised if Billing’s had a stellar year next season. As many have pointed out he would only improve with a better team, and was good this year pre-injury. He’d be coming into his prime years as well, some people are just late bloomers. Has all the tools, could become a genuine key player for us 2022. I’m sure the club sees the same logic for the right price.

Cerra anyone?

Assuming Kelly is unattainable and we lose Dunstan.

Cerra seems to be a different type of midfielder to most of the ones we have got. Compliments the mix possibly?

Dunkley would be very similar to our other midfield bulls and cost more, for example.

Cerra could be a 10-year signing also.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Cerra anyone?

Assuming Kelly is unattainable and we lose Dunstan.

Cerra seems to be a different type of midfielder to most of the ones we have got. Compliments the mix possibly?

Dunkley would be very similar to our other midfield bulls and cost more, for example.

Cerra could be a 10-year signing also.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
The thing against Cerra is Freo will be demanding 2 first rounders for him and with us not using a genuine first round picks the past 2 years (technically used 1 last year but it was mid 20s so the equivalent to a 2nd rounder most years), giving up 2 more to Freo is a big ask. Especially if we think Bing is attainable next year.

Would we look at someone like Nathan Kreuger from Geelong? Been impressing as a key back in the VFL but can't break into the Cats' strong back six.

196cm, 93kg, can play both ends of the ground and in his last year of the 3 year contract but yet to debut. Could be a cheap pick up for depth if we get rid of Carlisle, Frawley and co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back