24. James Frawley - Link
25. Dean Kent - Link
38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Sorry, Byrnes (pick 52) and Connelly (pick 67) in their 2nd year already having more impact than Billings in his 8th year.. So, yes, we can replace Billings, and easily..

He is paid $700k? Steele is 10*times the player Billings is, and he is paid less than Billings.. how?
I would not agree that those guys have had a bigger impact than Billings compared to the 2nd/8th years. Yes they are both promising players and Byrnes is the better of the two and may end up better than Billings. They are new to the team basically and creating some excitement hence the comparison I suppose. This is not Billings best year but he would be selected ahead of those 2 players for any game.

If anyone out there genuinely thinks that Connolly has already had more impact that Billings this year or has shown more in his 4 games than Billings has over his entire career (a comment from someone after the game on Saturday), then their opinion is just flat out wrong.
I don't think it does the conversation justice to quote people who are obviously just venting on game day. That's why we have those threads.

he is still playing injured.
He is like this all career. Apart from 2017 where he kicked 23 goals (also same amount of behinds by memory), the rest are around 10 goals, 20 odd possessions.. most of them cheap possessions at half back by playing as a free man.. 50% of his kicks are dinky little kicks to a free player, the other 50% long bombs to packs.. that’s why he is vanilla.. he doesn’t actually impact a game or make the team/players better.. anyone could do his job..

I actually think he was capable of doing more, but Richo/our game style/coaching has made him play safe and extremely vanilla.. as a half forward, his focus should be goals and goal assists, not picking up cheap possessions at half back, anyone can do that, then chip it around or long bomb, predictable and impact the game very little.. that’s why people don’t notice him after a game.. where as young players like Brynes and Connelly don’t just take the easy option, they rather hold on to the ball and take the best option to hurt the opposition and make the play.. Billings doesn’t do that enough for whatever reason..

Most of our players from the Richo era plays like this..
- Billings
- Ross
- Acres
- Newnes
- Dunstan

Only players from other clubs or new draftees have given the team new bite amd some composure/skills
- Steele
- Jones
- Crouch
- Howard
- Hill
- Ryder
- Higgins
- Butler
draftees
- Byrnes
- Connelly
- Bytel

Last edited:
If we are trading someone in I guess everyone looks at the highlights reel. I had a look at BILLINGS highlight reel of 2020 on you tube. If this has been posted before recently and i didnt notice i apologise.

Link to BILLINGS Highlight reel as of 8 months ago i believe ...its not that bad...id guess we'd be paying a bit for something as good...

The damning thing to me is who those good games were against. Apart from West Coast earlier this year and Maybe Bulldogs last year, although they were average at that point, all his good games are against poor teams in Gold Coast, Carlton, Essendon and Melbourne when they finished 17th.

which is exactly what everyone points out. He can be a good player. But in big games against tough oppo he barely has any impact, which is pretty poor for someone who’s been labeled as x-factor and match winner, for the majority of his career.
This is 100% on the money and, in my opinion, is the exact justification as to why we take Band 2-3.

He is like this all career. Apart from 2017 where he kicked 23 goals (also same amount of behinds by memory), the rest are around 10 goals, 20 odd possessions.. most of them cheap possessions at half back by playing as a free man.. 50% of his kicks are dinky little kicks to a free player, the other 50% long bombs to packs.. that’s why he is vanilla.. he doesn’t actually impact a game or make the team/players better.. anyone could do his job..

I actually think he was capable of doing more, but Richo/our game style/coaching has made him play safe and extremely vanilla.. as a half forward, his focus should be goals and goal assists, not picking up cheap possessions at half back, anyone can do that, then chip it around or long bomb, predictable and impact the game very little.. that’s why people don’t notice him after a game.. where as young players like Brynes and Connelly don’t just take the easy option, they rather hold on to the ball and take the best option to hurt the opposition and make the play.. Billings doesn’t do that enough for whatever reason..

Most of our players from the Richo era plays like this..
- Billings
- Ross
- Acres
- Newnes
- Dunstan

Only players from other clubs or new draftees have given the team new bite amd some composure/skills
- Steele
- Jones
- Crouch
- Howard
- Hill
- Ryder
- Higgins
- Butler
draftees
- Byrnes
- Connelly
- Bytel
Richardson came to the club and basically had the worst list in the AFL , he had no chance of proving how good of a coach he was - you can see by how many players are in the team from his period / I think about 12 0ut of 45 and will most probably be reduced more at the end of the season - to top it off his #1 draft pick was a write off and we picked up Hannerbery who is lucky to get on the park.

I expect a lot of the players suffered due to the team attempting to patch up the defense because we were unable to get control of the ball , making the team just to defensive.

Now 2 years on with a influx of talent we are able to completely have a different game plan having speed in the team and players who can win the contested ball - Just having Crouch , Hill , Ryder , Jones , Butler , Howard , Higgins , Wilkie has transformed the team and the development of King , Hunter Clark , Coffield , Paton , Battle , Bytel , Byrne , Connolly , Allison , Heath , Sharman , Highmore will determine our future.

That's 19 players Richardson never had and add on Membery , Sinclair , Billings , Steele , McKenzie , Gresham , Ross , Webster and Dunstan and you can see how different our squad is.

If we are trading someone in I guess everyone looks at the highlights reel. I had a look at BILLINGS highlight reel of 2020 on you tube. If this has been posted before recently and i didnt notice i apologise.

Link to BILLINGS Highlight reel as of 8 months ago i believe ...its not that bad...id guess we'd be paying a bit for something as good...

this dude looks alright!

this dude looks alright!
Just one thing amongst many I found particularly impressive is his capability to kick deliberate goals in play from around 50 and that is apart from his roving and opportunistic attack close to goall etc.. I have to say its a case of the classic 'rocks in the head' talk of moving him on. Giving another club the gift of doing what he can to us. It might be an old argument but its a good one!

Last edited:
I actually think he was capable of doing more, but Richo/our game style/coaching has made him play safe and extremely vanilla.. as a half forward, his focus should be goals and goal assists, not picking up cheap possessions at half back, anyone can do that, then chip it around or long bomb, predictable and impact the game very little.. that’s why people don’t notice him after a game..
Surely there’s a way we can get the old Billings back

shNcXcZ.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richardson came to the club and basically had the worst list in the AFL , he had no chance of proving how good of a coach he was - you can see by how many players are in the team from his period / I think about 12 0ut of 45 and will most probably be reduced more at the end of the season - to top it off his #1 draft pick was a write off and we picked up Hannerbery who is lucky to get on the park.

I expect a lot of the players suffered due to the team attempting to patch up the defense because we were unable to get control of the ball , making the team just to defensive.

Now 2 years on with a influx of talent we are able to completely have a different game plan having speed in the team and players who can win the contested ball - Just having Crouch , Hill , Ryder , Jones , Butler , Howard , Higgins , Wilkie has transformed the team and the development of King , Hunter Clark , Coffield , Paton , Battle , Bytel , Byrne , Connolly , Allison , Heath , Sharman , Highmore will determine our future.

That's 19 players Richardson never had and add on Membery , Sinclair , Billings , Steele , McKenzie , Gresham , Ross , Webster and Dunstan and you can see how different our squad is.
The issue with Richo was that he was too much of a negative coach. Instead of focusing on players strengths and maximising what they could do, he was more worried about what they couldn’t do well.
You can argue the team wasn’t as good, but he still had Roo, Stuv, Dempster and Joey for majority of his time.

The issue with Richo was that he was too much of a negative coach. Instead of focusing on players strengths and maximising what they could do, he was more worried about what they couldn’t do well.
You can argue the team wasn’t as good, but he still had Roo, Stuv, Dempster and Joey for majority of his time.
A classic example of an incompetent boob put in charge.
Destroyed culture, development, the works.

A classic example of an incompetent boob put in charge.
Destroyed culture, development, the works.

Along side his mate Trout they were a dream team. One to nab the dregs, one to drain the enthusiasm out of them.

Maybe but I actually have a feeling he was on hiding to nothing with the lack of talent he had at his disposal.

On Pixel 4a (5G) using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thats 11 games out of 107. So roughly one game in every 10 he leads the way.

that just isn’t enough for 700k.

editing my post as I miscalculated his games played. He has played 144. So roughly one good game every 14.
1 outstanding game out of 14 to be fair... He plays well most week.. Just wish he put more elite games together, I’d be happy with an Andrew Gaff output but he doesn’t get there that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back