24. James Frawley - Link
25. Dean Kent - Link
38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Yuk. Why would we take a KPB with our first pick images and then go and chase Ben King as well which takes us out of 2 more drafts. I rate Gibcus but spending for first round pick on a defender is always risky and especially as we still need stars and mids are a much better chance of that. I rate Gibcus but only if we had a couple of FRDPs.
We need another key back. If Gibcus is the best prospect out there, why not draft him?

This is why coaches should stay away from recruiting decisions at draft. Recruiters are hired for a reason whereas a coach can have inputs but should not be the decision maker. I believe Richo was the key influencer in the McCartin decision too..FMD imagine having Petracca & Naughton instead..just dumb.

Before the 2017 draft there was a heated debate around Nick Coffield and Aaron Naughton at the St Kilda list management meeting.

List boss Tony Elshaug was adamant Naughton was the Saints’ man if he was still there at Pick 8 and he had most of his recruiters on side.

But Alan Richardson disagreed. The coach wanted more midfielders and pushed hard for Coffield. Richardson won the discussion and St Kilda went with the on-baller.

Those in the room for the debate said Richardson was adamant that they needed more ball-winners. Coffield has shown signs but hasn’t nailed his spot, while Naughton is one of the most exciting key forwards in the league.

Three years earlier, St Kilda picked Jack Billings over Marcus Bontempelli.

There is time yet for Coffield, but as it stands Richardson got that one wrong. And officials at the Saints remember it like it was yesterday, not that they care to reflect on Richardson’s tenure too often.

Source: Fox sports

The only thing Trout got right and the little *er overruled it. Jesus.

Well who had a better game in the 2020 final?

Coffield had 14 disposals, 8 marks and 7 intercept possessions.

Naughton had 1 goal and 5 disposals.

In hindsight, every list manager would pick Naughton because of his high-flying potential as a forward, but I’ll be backing Coffield in to have a bloody good career for us if he puts in the work. Besides, we won’t need Naughton once we get Bing 😉

Naughton as very highly rated but everyone thought he was Freo bound. We should pay a hacker to look at whoever the Dogs are going to pick and get in first.

We need another key back. If Gibcus is the best prospect out there, why not draft him?

Because he's good but not that good. I think it's risky to take KPBs at the best of times but guys like Sonsie and a heap of other top mids will be the players that make it big from this draft. If we got an end of first round pick for Billings and had already grabbed a mid go for it but as our stand alone it's massively risky. We have stopped drafting mids again. The NGA kids look promising but we need stars still.

Because he's good but not that good. I think it's risky to take KPBs at the best of times but guys like Sonsie and a heap of other top mids will be the players that make it big from this draft. If we got an end of first round pick for Billings and had already grabbed a mid go for it but as our stand alone it's massively risky. We have stopped drafting mids again. The NGA kids look promising but we need stars still.
Most of the experts who watch them weekly have him as a top 10 prospect so it's not like he would be a reach at where we would be picking or that there is anything suggesting he wouldn't make it big like the mids from this draft.

Am I reading this correctly? People reckon we should have taken Smith or Rozee over King?
Really? You understand what King will be and what extra he brings? Not just on the field but he will bring his identical twin to us.

As for Coff, he was a bloody free hit after the O'Meara deal. We would have taken Clark with our first.
Like DMAC like Dunstan, like Steele, Coff will come good.

This moaning about misses is so boringly tiresome. Its like every near miss is like McCartin/Petracca which was a deadset mistake that was predicted.

Billings over Bont. Bont was speculative like King after his knee. Obviously Bont is better than Jack but Billings is not a bust by any imagination.

Coff is the same. He has got so much upside and is totally different to Naughton, get off the kids back.

Incredible that we traded a 2nd for Steele, got Byrnes in the 50's, Bytel in the 40's, Highmore for bugger all, Marshall as a rookie etc etc.

Please can we give the negativity a rest?

And before the expected responses having a go at me, I am entitled to my opinion and don't attempt to pile on and cancel me because I have a different opinion to the woe is me brigade.

Oh yes we have made plenty of mistakes, one finals is testament to that, however not every bloody thing we do is bad.

Well who had a better game in the 2020 final?

Coffield had 14 disposals, 8 marks and 7 intercept possessions.

Naughton had 1 goal and 5 disposals.

In hindsight, every list manager would pick Naughton because of his high-flying potential as a forward, but I’ll be backing Coffield in to have a bloody good career for us if he puts in the work. Besides, we won’t need Naughton once we get Bing 😉
wasn't naughton a backman, and only by accident got into the forward line?

We should pay a hacker to look at whoever the Dogs are going to pick and get in first.
From all reports we did that with Ben Long so that’s not a guaranteed crowd pleaser 🤪

Yuk. Why would we take a KPB with our first pick images and then go and chase Ben King as well which takes us out of 2 more drafts. I rate Gibcus but spending for first round pick on a defender is always risky and especially as we still need stars and mids are a much better chance of that. I rate Gibcus but only if we had a couple of FRDPs.

What about when we get first rounders for Billings, Ross and Dunstan tho

Most of the experts who watch them weekly have him as a top 10 prospect so it's not like he would be a reach at where we would be picking or that there is anything suggesting he wouldn't make it big like the mids from this draft.

He's a highly rated player, he just isn't who I'd take considering we have to potentially pay 2x firsts for King. So we will have taken Allison, Heath, Sharman and sat out of a couple of drafts before that. Your superstars usually come from the first round. Unless he's going to do a Naughton it seems a poor choice to me. Highmore and Wilkie already fighting for a spot with Clav, Coffield and Joyce.And this is the backline we have already replaced about 4 times.

He's a highly rated player, he just isn't who I'd take considering we have to potentially pay 2x firsts for King. So we will have taken Allison, Heath, Sharman and sat out of a couple of drafts before that. Your superstars usually come from the first round. Unless he's going to do a Naughton it seems a poor choice to me. Highmore and Wilkie already fighting for a spot with Clav, Coffield and Joyce.And this is the backline we have already replaced about 4 times.
Fair point but he may just be the best player at our first available pick. Considering we will probably finish middle of the table and two top prospect are already gone as father sons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think that's a massive step backwards. the issues in billing are the exact issues Cera has only amplified 10 fold.

Billings has an offensive side to his game, but issues with the defensive/contested side. Cera has no offensive side to his game beyond some nice disposal and his defensive side is also non-existent.
Cerra can’t get enough of the footy for mine , I’d look elsewhere.

I believe we have a list that if we fill a couple of holes, have a decent and appropriate gameplan, play players in positions that suits both themselves and the rest of the team... we could really give things a shake

I'm more concerned with the coaching than the list.

I believe we have a list that if we fill a couple of holes, have a decent and appropriate gameplan, play players in positions that suits both themselves and the rest of the team... we could really give things a shake

I'm more concerned with the coaching than the list.
Think you're on the money

Unlikely Clavarino and Joyce will be on a list much longer - maybe 1 will be if they are lucky.

Those you listed are all forwards. We could be in a position that Howard is our only 195cm plus key defender. If Gibcus is available at our pick, he would be a good get and fill a position that we dont already have filled. Nothing right now to suggest he is any less likely to be a star than the mids that would also be available.

Unlikely Clavarino and Joyce will be on a list much longer - maybe 1 will be if they are lucky.

Those you listed are all forwards. We could be in a position that Howard is our only 195cm plus key defender. If Gibcus is available at our pick, he would be a good get and fill a position that we dont already have filled. Nothing right now to suggest he is any less likely to be a star than the mids that would also be available.

Do we need two 195 plus guys as a matter of urgency? When the midfield fired our defence looked good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back