25. Dean Kent - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Trade Period
Players: Monday October 4 – Wednesday October 13
Picks: Monday October 4 – tbc (approx. Friday November 19)

List Lodgement 1
tbc (approx. Thursday October 28)

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
tbc (approx. Friday October 29 - Monday November 8)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
tbc (approx. Tuesday November 9)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
tbc (approx. Wednesday November 10 - Friday November 19)

Last edited by a moderator:

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Why would you need 3 cars though? I put a post out up the page actually querying the current strategy we are using. Does another club have 2 dedicated ruckmen in the same side? Jackson being more a forward. Goldstein does alright as does nic nat.
We don't need 3 ruckmen - but will Ryder standup a whole season , will he even get through the preseason - I hope he does because he is a match winner , but if he doesn't Marshalls our man and as seen this year if he goes down you need a replacement and by all accounts this guy is not to bad as a ruckman - I'm pretty sure the recruiters have been through every tape of him playing and found something they like.

And the 3 cars , well one you might use it for show but the rings are gone and you are using more oil than petrol (Ryder), the other is a 4WD and can be used in a few different situations (Marshall), the other is a new car and you have not really put it through it pacers yet.

Have Faith Bill.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Regarding your last point.

Look at how many players in the Collingwood team that beat us in the Grand final came from the rookie draft.

Look at how many players in the recent Richmond premiership teams came from the rookie draft.

Another example. In 2012 the six players St Kilda took in the AFL draft finished up playing 98 AFL games between them. The six players who occupied the last positions in the draft (numbers 99 through 107) all rookie promotions, played over 500 AFL games between them: McKeever, Tuohy, Johanissen, Daw, Baguley, Cunningham. Admittedly some had played prior to this draft but the bulk of their games came after, The last 5 players taken in the rookie draft that year (numbers 54 through 63) played over 200 AFL games between them: Williams, Boston, Jack, Naismith, Bourke.

The rookie draft is vastly underrated and even though St Kilda has picked up Geary, Marshall, Milne and Sinclair we are far from being the most successful club to take advantage of it.
Never disputed you can't find good players in the rookie draft but you ar ignoring the fact that many players that hage left their existing club for more opportunity have also gone on to have great success.

Toby Nankervis was traded to Richmond when he couldn't cement a spot at Sydney and won a few flags...

Bacha Houli is another example.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I reckon our recruiters would be looking into all t state league like we did with Sharman, Wilkie and Highmore and clearly they think Xerri is better than what's out there.

Ray of Sunshine

Debutant
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Everton, Cleveland Browns
You and I both seem to be opposed to getting Xerri but could I sum it up as “it will be ok if the trade is really cheap?” After reading a bunch of other people’s reasoning I’ve come to the conclusion that I wouldn’t be mad if he came cheap and was framed as good bargain bin hunting rather than “look we got a shiny new ruck”

Agreed - it would have to be very cheap ie, pick 85. Definitely not 49 or the one we have in the 60s. People have been having a go at me (and i probably deserve it because i rarely back down) but one thing that I have observed about Melbourne is that it is not just a question of who they have traded in or drafted , it has also been their canny use of draft picks at the trade table. For me picks like 49 and 67 probably have great value and currency beyond an unproven ruckman. I am also strongly of the view that you go for best player available in drafts, irrespective of positional needs - but that is my opinion and others will differ.

Mr_R0b0t

Debutant
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Regarding your last point.

Look at how many players in the Collingwood team that beat us in the Grand final came from the rookie draft.

Look at how many players in the recent Richmond premiership teams came from the rookie draft.

Another example. In 2012 the six players St Kilda took in the AFL draft finished up playing 98 AFL games between them. The six players who occupied the last positions in the draft (numbers 99 through 107) all rookie promotions, played over 500 AFL games between them: McKeever, Tuohy, Johanissen, Daw, Baguley, Cunningham. Admittedly some had played prior to this draft but the bulk of their games came after, The last 5 players taken in the rookie draft that year (numbers 54 through 63) played over 200 AFL games between them: Williams, Boston, Jack, Naismith, Bourke.

The rookie draft is vastly underrated and even though St Kilda has picked up Geary, Marshall, Milne and Sinclair we are far from being the most successful club to take advantage of it.
Ray player drafting and player development are to separate things, player development has been woeful at St Kilda, players drafted at StK were rarely successful. Which is typical at low budget clubs. Tigers, Cats, Dees, WB and Sydney all excel in this area, all successful clubs. This should change with Damien Carroll coming on board.
Saints recruiting has greatly improved since Elshaug left, and the arrival of OShaugnessy, senior statistic analyst and Rath, we’re seen great improvement.

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Agreed - it would have to be very cheap ie, pick 85. Definitely not 49 or the one we have in the 60s. People have been having a go at me (and i probably deserve it because i rarely back down) but one thing that I have observed about Melbourne is that it is not just a question of who they have traded in or drafted , it has also been their canny use of draft picks at the trade table. For me picks like 49 and 67 probably have great value and currency beyond an unproven ruckman. I am also strongly of the view that you go for best player available in drafts, irrespective of positional needs - but that is my opinion and others will differ.
We’re of a fairly similar mindset then, we just differ at our threshold of cheapness. If he doesn’t impact pick 9 and doesn’t impact our plans for the 2 NGAs he’s ok in my books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back