25. Dean Kent - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Trade Period
Players: Monday October 4 – Wednesday October 13
Picks: Monday October 4 – tbc (approx. Friday November 19)

List Lodgement 1
tbc (approx. Thursday October 28)

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
tbc (approx. Friday October 29 - Monday November 8)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
tbc (approx. Tuesday November 9)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
tbc (approx. Wednesday November 10 - Friday November 19)

Last edited by a moderator:
The sad thing about this post is we could have had a few of these.

Bulldogs in a grand final with Smith, Bont and Naughton vs Billings, Clark and McCartin.

And some still maintain our recruiting hasn’t been a problem. Nailing top 10 draft picks is 101. Demons and Bulldogs are the perfect examples of this. Throw in Port Adelaide too.

Totally. We absolutely ****ed everything up until 2017. But post 2017 I have tremendous faith in the clubs off-field performance. Hell, we should’ve been way behind Melbourne and Dogs given they hit those drafts well, yet we still did better then them last year. Their sweet spots are hitting now. Ours will start soon if our off-field performance keeps on delivering. It’s a testament to the club that we only pulled our finger out 2017ish and are competitive.

And if you think I’m being too optimistic or unrealistic, remember … Dogs lost an elimination final last year and Melbourne didn’t even make the eight. We’re in a very good spot to capitalise next year.

Wasn't directed at you and where has anyone said it didn't need work.

Who said the list is great? I always wanted and still do want mids. Was appalled not getting Petracca.

I can comment on people whinging about the selection of Clark and Coff over Naughton considering he was a defender.

I made an exception of King but really wanted Bailey Smith, we couldn't get him.

Of course the list needs work. We need another quality mid like Steele, I just get sick of the victim mentality of Harry hindsights who change like the wind (see Naughton comments).

We should get the best possible mid in the draft, and should always improve our list. It is easy to criticise and be negative but there needs to be a balance.

Still we came 9th and have made finals once in decade. If we don't improve our list it will be another decade.

Nothing is ever as bad as it seems or as good as it seems. There needs to be balance and facts need to be borne out.
👍

but let’s not act like these 2 clubs are genius recruiters.
There is a lot of luck involved.

You can spin it a million different ways and "if this happened that would have happened". Our recruiting does seem to have improved and I think King was absolutely our best option in 2019.

But at the moment, we are seeing the results of recruiting from 2013 to 2017 and simple fact is both Dogs and Dees have pulled down 4 A graders from those years that we picked all around. We can't go back and change it but it makes it no less frustrating in what has been a frustrating year.

Hopefully our draft/recruiting skills are much better going forwrad.

In regards to my previous post I wasn’t necessarily saying each pick they have nailed, I know both have screwed up certain picks but the top end of their talent has obviously come from the early picks.

My focus now would be drafting young in and under midfielders with quick hands, that seems to be where the game is going. Oliver/Macrae at the bottom of the pack flicking/throwing out handballs, they just make it look so simple and it gives the team first opportunity.

In my opinion we go for Ben King if possible but from now we need to go for the best available mid early.

I’m not saying Bytel, Byrnes, etc can’t be those players but if we want to increase our chances of finding that superstar it can’t always be a slider.

Anyone heard anything on Schlensog? I’ve seen it in a couple of places that we may be offering him a contract as a delisted free agent. Probably just wishful thinking, but if true seems like a very handy pick up and develop.

I won’t argue the 2 best midfields are in the grand final, that’s fact.

dogs:
Libba, hunter, Wallis, JUH, now Sam Darcy, all gifts from the AFL system that is yet to throw a bone our way.

2018 they took smith in a great top 10 class, we got King so no complaints.

2017 there was a clear top 5, classically we sat at 7 and 8, got our pick of the next half dozen did well with Clark/coff avoided busts in bonar/Fogarty. We weren’t in the market for a CHB prior to Carlisle injury, dogs took naughton as their midfield was already full of guns.

blessed with the #4 pick2013 in a year where there was a clear set in stone top 3.
If they finished below us, they would have taken Billings 100% as he was the best bet to be a 200 gamer after Kelly.
It wasn’t recruiting genius it was just great luck.

also blessed in 2012 when the had 5 and 6..... weak draft,
SOS took orourke and plowman.
Fellow genius recruiters Melbourne took Toumpas.
Let macrae and stringer fall right in the dogs lap.

Credit where it’s due to Melbourne, they came out of 2019 with the best ruck and best small forward (Jackson and Pickett) but they were able to do that because mids already set.

they got Oliver at 4 but would have taken shache if they were at 2.

we took paddy and allowed them to get the 2 best mids that year in trac and Angus at 2/3.

they also used high picks on hogan, Toumpas, cook, gysberts, Trengove, watts, blease, Morton, grimes, traded a 12 for Mitch Clark. All busts.

viney father son gift.
and to think that the best St Kilda father/son pick in the last 30 years is playing with Melbourne.

dogs:
Libba, hunter, Wallis, JUH, now Sam Darcy, all gifts from the AFL system that is yet to throw a bone our way.

2017 there was a clear top 5, classically we sat at 7 and 8, got our pick of the next half dozen did well with Clark/coff avoided busts in bonar/Fogarty. We weren’t in the market for a CHB prior to Carlisle injury, dogs took naughton as their midfield was already full of guns.

blessed with the #4 pick2013 in a year where there was a clear set in stone top 3.
If they finished below us, they would have taken Billings 100% as he was the best bet to be a 200 gamer after Kelly.

Credit where it’s due to Melbourne, they came out of 2019 with the best ruck and best small forward (Jackson and Pickett) but they were able to do that because mids already set.

they got Oliver at 4 but would have taken shache if they were at 2.

we took paddy and allowed them to get the 2 best mids that year in trac and Angus at 2/3.

they also used high picks on hogan, Toumpas, cook, gysberts, Trengove, watts, blease, Morton, grimes, traded a 12 for Mitch Clark. All busts.

viney father son gift.

You make your own luck. At the end of the day results is all that counts, it doesn’t matter how you get there.

Melbourne’s first rebuild when they took Morton, Trengove, Toumpas, etc was like our 2012-14 period. Remember pushing Goddard out the door to get the Tom Lee & Hickey deals?

Totally. We absolutely f’ed everything up until 2017. But post 2017 I have tremendous faith in the clubs off-field performance. Hell, we should’ve been way behind Melbourne and Dogs given they hit those drafts well, yet we still did better then them last year. Their sweet spots are hitting now. Ours will start soon if our off-field performance keeps on delivering. It’s a testament to the club that we only pulled our finger out 2017ish and are competitive.

And if you think I’m being too optimistic or unrealistic, remember … Dogs lost an elimination final last year and Melbourne didn’t even make the eight. We’re in a very good spot to capitalise next year.
Good points. Things can change very quickly. Who did the Dogs lose to in the finals last year?
Probably the key difference is in the midfield. Draft fast, skilful mids. Max King is about to explode, get a midfield that can supply him and then watch what happens.

You make your own luck. At the end of the day results is all that counts, it doesn’t matter how you get there.

Melbourne’s first rebuild when they took Morton, Trengove, Toumpas, etc was like our 2012-14 period. Remember pushing Goddard out the door to get the Tom Lee & Hickey deals?
Geez we made some massive *ups didn’t we.
Whatever happened to the Drake he had good insights into this.

You guys can't be serious. Yes we've "screwed up" a few picks in the past (the main one being McCartin), but since 2017 we've drafted really well. Wilkie was a player no one would've thought would be in out leadership group. Bytel was a massive steal and if he stays fit he'll show why he was so highly rated. Have a bit more faith in the recruiting and list management, you can see that the kids they're bringing through are all good footballers with the potential to grow

dogs:

Explain what impact Wallis, JUH and Sam Darcy are having for this current dogs team. And wasn't hunter not bid on until round 3?

Also claiming that drafting Coffield was the right call because you avoided draft busts is laughable. He's no better than Fogarty. It's a lot easier getting touches playing in defense. Just ask Bailey Dale. And the excuse your team passed on Naughton was the right call because you had Carlisle doesn't sit well either. I didn't realise you only need one key defender at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Explain what impact Wallis, JUH and Sam Darcy are having for this current dogs team. And wasn't hunter not bid on until round 3?

Also claiming that drafting Coffield was the right call because you avoided draft busts is laughable. He's no better than Fogarty. It's a lot easier getting touches playing in defense. Just ask Bailey Dale. And the excuse your team passed on Naughton was the right call because you had Carlisle doesn't sit well either. I didn't realise you only need one key defender at AFL level.
You’re on the wrong board.

Coffield no better than Fogarty lol. He came fifth in our b and f last year.

Did you come in to try to flog off Dylan Shiel?

I don’t see the potential in Bytel that others do. He looks slow & one dimension. His ceiling looks to be Seb Ross or Dunstan IMO.
It's worth noting that most times he's been given the job of running with the oppo's best mid for his development, and when let off the leash in VFL he's been destroying it.
IMHO he's ceiling could be multiple AA, and his disposal is already nudging elite so comparisons with Seb or Dunny just don't fit.
My hope is that when the coaches are happy with his defensive game they'll let him loose to play his attacking game which is his strength. Ideally he plays round 1 after a big off-season.

Last edited:
Coffield no better than Fogarty lol. He came fifth in our b and f last year.

Fogarty?

Is that the guy from the Crows or the guy from Creedence Clearwater Revival?

sME41QQ.gif

But passing on Naughton was a totally valid call? Coffield had more potential to play mid/hb which we needed more then a Naughton type defender. Easy to say in hindsight that we should’ve taken him. No one was saying this last year in the elimination final when Coff clearly had the better game …

Drafting is drafting, surely u have better things to do then take pot shots on another teams board because a lottery based on potential supposedly didn’t go their way?? Obviously not.

I don’t see the potential in Bytel that others do. He looks slow & one dimension. His ceiling looks to be Seb Ross or Dunstan IMO.
Well you will eat your words in seasons to come.

Has played less than 20 games, give him a go.

Anyone heard anything on Schlensog? I’ve seen it in a couple of places that we may be offering him a contract as a delisted free agent. Probably just wishful thinking, but if true seems like a very handy pick up and develop.
Where did you hear that ?
The only talk about him has been on here

Macrae (pick 6), Bont (4), Libba (F/S), Smith (7), Hunter (F/S), Dunkley (25).

Petracca (2), Oliver (4), Viney (F/S), Brayshaw (3), Langdon (54).

Would be nice to nail our top end draft picks on solid midfielders.

Brayshaw “priority pick” - compensation for Frawley 🙄

Well you will eat your words in seasons to come.

Has played less than 20 games, give him a go.
The reason he's only played 20 games is because he hasn't been able to cement a spot though.

I think he has potential but he's a long way behind the best young mids in the comp right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back