25. Dean Kent - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Trade Period
Players: Monday October 4 – Wednesday October 13
Picks: Monday October 4 – tbc (approx. Friday November 19)

List Lodgement 1
tbc (approx. Thursday October 28)

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
tbc (approx. Friday October 29 - Monday November 8)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
tbc (approx. Tuesday November 9)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
tbc (approx. Wednesday November 10 - Friday November 19)

Last edited by a moderator:
I swear we are linked to Tom Clurey every single year… 😂

Maybe Cam O’Shea is still available too 🤷🏻‍♂️

If thats the case, it looks like the club is too frightened to put some pressure on these players to be the best they can. Or are these players not as good as we think they are.
Or it is unrealistic for all those players to become a top 10 player in the competition in 1 preseason, so we cant expect them to all improve at the rate or to the degree that Jack Steele has.

But if all of them improve 10-15% on their current output, than we will be a better overall team.

I’m gonna go out on a limb here & say Billings has never been given a good run in the midfield because they coaches haven’t believed he’s up to it…. Hard to believe as fans but they probably do know more about player ability than we do :think:
If he was a midfielder, he would have been in there yonks ago. It is a very hard position and up against the best. Is he fit enough or strong enough? Never seen him do a lot of hard yards or gut running, he is not that type of player. A rich mans Fiora.

Could well be but needs to be given a chance , however spots will be tight knowing Gresham and Clark will most probably get more time in there next year.
He’s been in our system for 8 years. If he was good enough to be a full time or even part time ‘guts’ mid, he would be in there already

I really feel after 8 years that Jack Billings just hasn’t become the player we all wanted him to be - classy HF/Mid with some x-factor (Chad Wingard/Mark LeCras) type

He is more of a rich man’s Jack Newnes 🤔

Or it is unrealistic for all those players to become a top 10 player in the competition in 1 preseason, so we cant expect them to all improve at the rate or to the degree that Jack Steele has.

But if all of them improve 10-15% on their current output, than we will be a better overall team.
Very unlikely they will all get to a top 10 player in the competition, that is asking way too much and i cant recall seeing anyone suggesting that. This is about fitness, not turning into a champion. Just improving your game to be the best you can be. Of course, it makes the team better and at least we know they can run out a game.

Very unlikely they will all get to a top 10 player in the competition, that is asking way too much and i cant recall seeing anyone suggesting that. This is about fitness, not turning into a champion. Just improving your game to be the best you can be. Of course, it makes the team better and at least we know they can run out a game.
Every club is expecting 10% every year, if your not you go backwards

Hanners output next year will surprise a few.
Soft tissue injuries have cruelled us in 2021, Hanners, Jones, Roma, Ryder, Coff even Ming, and others, never mind the games they missed add on the in game time after they go down.

I have no idea if Walsh will do better than Hornsby but we had to and have to make changes. We simply cannot compete when we have the biggest injury list in the comp.

Gags was talking about the overall improvement needed for the side to be better next season when he made that statement.

Like Darcy parish..?
Massive difference.

Darcy Parish has always been a pure midfielder even as a junior, so naturally when played there consistently, he killed it. This was his 6th season in the system

Billings has been around for 8 seasons & has never once looked likely to be a pure midfielder

As I said above, we so desperately want him to be something he just won’t become - a star. He’s just a ‘good’ player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Came out of that Gallagher interview feeling quite positive about our list profile and scope for improvement. Nice to hear how bullish he was about our young players driving the improvement with many of our best players currently sitting between 30-80 game range.

I am concerned with our lack of a decent backup Ruckman option. I know Punter showed a bit late and maybe with a pre-season, he might be good for the Ryder gaps but FMD if we lose a close one or two with Punter in the side and miss top 4 or something heartbreaking. With Chol not an option, I wonder who we could be thinking about as a more reliable (less beatable) backup option. We have Heath of course but he's at least 3 seasons away from a debut and 5-6 away from being a positive force. I think we need a mid-aged experienced ruckman who's happy to be third in the order this year and fill in next year full-time.

Archie Smith - Jesus H Christ..surely not.
Sam Hayes - Bit young and inexperienced still?
Andrew Phillips - Probably a decent option
Jon Ceglar - Not sure about his body but maybe would work
Mason Cox - not really a ruck or much good
Rory Lobb - Doesn't want to ruck and is exxy.. but his age fits perfectly for heath to usurp him in 4-5 years. He can also play forward next year predominantly with ryder in the team and the following year pick it up slightly more in the Ruck. He would take a bit of trade capital but given his exorbitant salary, I think Freo would be pleased to do a good deal. They don't seem that keen to retain him.
Darcy Fort - Would be ideal and cheap. Can play ruck well, good contested mark and hit the scoreboard, bit of experience.

Can't think of any other options and if Punter was the best option out of the lower tiers then I'm not pinning my hopes on the next best guy.

All of those options (bar Smith and Hayes) are better plans than Hunter as a backup. My preference would be to chase Lobb or Fort both 28yo and very tall with forward capabilities. I can't see Lobb costing more than a future 3rd given his 750k salary for the next two seasons and maybe thats not ideal for us at all to take on but he'd fit in football wise very well. As such, I think I'm keen to recruit Fort, whilst also keeping Punter for another year.

Are there better options out there..?

Came out of that Gallagher interview feeling quite positive about our list profile and scope for improvement. Nice to hear how bullish he was about our young players driving the improvement with many of our best players currently sitting between 30-80 game range.

I am concerned with our lack of a decent backup Ruckman option. I know Punter showed a bit late and maybe with a pre-season, he might be good for the Ryder gaps but FMD if we lose a close one or two with Punter in the side and miss top 4 or something heartbreaking. With Chol not an option, I wonder who we could be thinking about as a more reliable (less beatable) backup option. We have Heath of course but he's at least 3 seasons away from a debut and 5-6 away from being a positive force. I think we need a mid-aged experienced ruckman who's happy to be third in the order this year and fill in next year full-time.

Rory Lobb - Doesn't want to ruck and is exxy.. but his age fits perfectly for heath to usurp him in 4-5 years. He can also play forward next year predominantly with ryder in the team and the following year pick it up slightly more in the Ruck. He would take a bit of trade capital but given his exorbitant salary, I think Freo would be pleased to do a good deal. They don't seem that keen to retain him.
Darcy Fort - Would be ideal and cheap. Can play ruck well, good contested mark and hit the scoreboard, bit of experience.

Can't think of any other options and if Punter was the best option out of the lower tiers then I'm not pinning my hopes on the next best guy.

All of those options (bar Smith and Hayes) are better plans than Hunter as a backup. My preference would be to chase Lobb or Fort both 28yo and very tall with forward capabilities. I can't see Lobb costing more than a future 3rd given his 750k salary for the next two seasons and maybe thats not ideal for us at all to take on but he'd fit in football wise very well. As such, I think I'm keen to recruit Fort, whilst also keeping Punter for another year.

Max Lynch - Collingwood 🤷🏻‍♂️

Im sure Libba has someone earmarked for us from the state leagues.

Matt Flynn GWS
DEA21D38-DCE3-40ED-AE47-52A1562E033F.png
time to make him a saint

Some of us have been saying that the fitness levels looked miles off all season. Good to see Gags back that up in that interview.

Also no surprise that we have sacked our fitness coach. Think the club was saving face when Ratts/Rath/Lethers answered questions and said we looked fit to the eye.

We need to see massive results this off season. As it stands, last pre season was an absolute disaster on whatever they done. It's no coincidence that being unfit leads to an increased likely hood of picking up an injury.

Apparently he has serious attitude issues.
Paddy Ryder will sort him out. He has huge respect amongst the indigenous players in the Comp.
How is Matthew Allison tracking along? To the people who've seen him play at Sandy & heard things around the club, is he the type who's certainly going to make it or is he looking more like a 'maybe/too early to tell'? Cheers in advance
I saw him play at the intra club and thought he looked a likely type. Moves well and kicked an absolute bomb goal from 55 out.

I know Smith's stats don't look impressive with a quick glance, but keep in mind that he has been played as a backup to Stefan Martin or Oscar McInernery in EVERY game he's played except for two. In those games his stats were:

19 disposals (17 contested), 1 mark, 5 tackles, 30 hitouts, 9 clearances
15 disposals (9 contested), 1 mark, 3 tackles, 32 hitouts, 3 clearances

He has just turned 26 and has been stuck behind two dominant rucks for his entire career. We could get him very cheaply and would be a massive upgrade on Hunter. I'd make him a priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back