25. Dean Kent - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Trade Period
Players: Monday October 4 – Wednesday October 13
Picks: Monday October 4 – tbc (approx. Friday November 19)

List Lodgement 1
tbc (approx. Thursday October 28)

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
tbc (approx. Friday October 29 - Monday November 8)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
tbc (approx. Tuesday November 9)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
tbc (approx. Wednesday November 10 - Friday November 19)

Last edited by a moderator:
And you wonder why from one year to next why Richmond, the Bulldogs and Melbourne are able to win Grand Finals and we are not. Can you imagine any of those teams, regardless of positional need, taking a player like Xerri. Seriously????

And the fact that the bottom team seems to have no problems letting him go seems to speak volumes. If he was so 'dominant' why is a team struggling to climb the ladder not wanting to hold on to him, even as a backup?

I wish the supporters of this club held the people responsible for list management up to the same standards as the players.
Max Gawn at the same age Xerri is now clearly looked like a superstar right??

2010 - 0 games (was playing dev league)
2011 - 4 games for a total of 15 kicks, 5 clangers and 2 behinds. Dropped twice
2012 - 0 games (ACL)
2013 - 13 games averaging 8 touches and dropped twice

Oh and of the teams you mentioned, have you actually ever seen Jake Spencer, Majak Daw, Ryan Gardner, Fergus Greene or Adam Pattinson play football?? He is a young backup big man FFS. We are not expecting him to be a readymade Paddy Ryder replacement. Just adequate depth that allows Marshall to still play forward when Paddy is injured and Heath develops

Last edited:
Yeah I know, but look at someone like Jarryd Lyons… basically given to Gold Coast for free who then de-listed him and since finished 4th, 2nd and 3rd in a side playing finals every year.
Jarryd Lyons is a different case though. Always showed promise at crows but they had Sloane, Danger, Crouch x2, Douglas.

He then went to Gold Coast and had a very good 2nd season there. No idea what GC were thinking delisting him tbh. They seem to have no idea.

He's a back up ruckman Ray.

3rd in line.

All of those clubs have recruited similar break glass in emergency types to back up their main guys.

Calm the hysterics.

Not hysterics, more frustration. At a time when list management at this club is starting to get it right and finding great value at the back end of the draft - Ryan Byrnes (pick 52), Leo Connolly (pick 64), Highmore (pick 45), Sharman (pick 21 in a mid season draft). I hate the idea of losing a potentially good draft pick at the expense of a player that is a back up at best.

Interesting how there is barely a whimper about Xerri going on the Kangaroos board. They don't seem to rate him in the same way as we suddenly seem to.

Surely you're taking the piss with this post? He's a backup ruckman.

Why do people get so upset at another person's opinion? He might be spud, he might be a gun. He didn't even properly melt but everyone's jumped on him.

I think if we are getting him at that age he's actually a development project anyway.

it is true but when looking to find a decade type key position player I'd rather be filling them with quality from the draft rather than cheap stopgap types. There can be sunk cost fallacy with young players and then the club doesn't find it worth still looking for an improvement in that area anymore. Once you invest enough into a position it becomes a bit hard to justify anymore.

Are you suggesting we take a KP at #11 just so he can be back up behind Roma & Paddy?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I reckon we might have taken our 'decade type' ruckman during the mid season draft. Just need another big body to play while he's developing.

it is true but when looking to find a decade type key position player I'd rather be filling them with quality from the draft rather than cheap stopgap types. There can be sunk cost fallacy with young players and then the club doesn't find it worth still looking for an improvement in that area anymore. Once you invest enough into a position it becomes a bit hard to justify anymore.
Let's see what happens with this Xerri situation. The reality is that North have gone after Coleman-Jones and in doing so they seem to be forcing Xerri out. I think that's a really strange move by North especially considering that Coleman-Jones will cost a bit and Goldstein isn't getting any younger, and Coleman-Jones has mainly shown something as a forward not a ruck.

This might be a good opportunity to get a decent young ruckman for next to nothing. 21 is so young for a ruck. We also have Heath who we drafted who is 18. I think getting in Xerri would give us a good age mix in our ruck division.

Max Gawn at the same age Xerri is now clearly looked like a superstar right??

2010 - 0 games (was playing dev league)
2011 - 4 games for a total of 15 kicks, 5 clangers and 2 behinds. Dropped twice
2012 - 0 games (ACL)
2013 - 13 games averaging 8 touches and dropped twice

Oh and of the teams you mentioned, have you actually ever seen Jake Spencer, Majak Daw, Ryan Gardner, Fergus Greene or Adam Pattinson play football?? He is a young backup big man FFS. We are not expecting him to be a readymade Paddy Ryder replacement. Just adequate depth that allows Marshall to still play forward when Paddy is injured

It is disingenuous to make comparisons like that. The same comparison can be made for all the ruckmen who did not make it in the AFL, Lewis Pierce for example.

Why do people get so upset at another person's opinion? He might be spud, he might be a gun. He didn't even properly melt but everyone's jumped on him.

I think if we are getting him at that age he's actually a development project anyway.
Why are you getting upset at lewdogs expressing his opinion?

I'm not upset at his opinion at all, just find the "great clubs like Richmond Bulldogs and Melbourne would never do this" hysterics way over the top.

His right foot is better than his left and he has never used it .

Contested ball winner but one of the worst decision makers and kicks I have seen.

“Hard at the contest” though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Xerri's has played 12 games in his career. Todd Goldstein played in every single one of these. Goldstein's worst hit out tally was 21 and his best was 53 during this time, regularly in the 30s.

I understand people's reluctance. That he is being let go by a bottom side.

These points need considering:
- He is obviously a ruckman and not a great forward, hence why his AFL games have been below par. Not every ruck (especially young guys) will do well playing as a tall forward first, ruck second.
- North Melbourne decided to keep Goldstein, and rightfully so, he had a great year.
- Xerri is 22 years old and has played 12 games, so probably not ready to be the #1 yet and with Coleman-Jones and Edwards arriving at North, I think Xerri can see the writing on wall.

I am also only advocating the Xerri pick up if he comes cheap.

Let's see what happens with this Xerri situation. The reality is that North have gone after Coleman-Jones and in doing so they seem to be forcing Xerri out. I think that's a really strange move by North especially considering that Coleman-Jones will cost a bit and Goldstein isn't getting any younger, and Coleman-Jones has mainly shown something as a forward not a ruck.

This might be a good opportunity to get a decent young ruckman for next to nothing. 21 is so young for a ruck. We also have Heath who we drafted who is 18. I think getting in Xerri would give us a good age mix in our ruck division.

Coleman-Jones is a Marshall type with some real upside, he was rated as potential first round pick and partially developed. I can see why Xerri is getting the arse.

You mean like when Richmond took a relatively unknown ruckman called nankervis because he was in the 2s ar Sydney. Melbourne grabbed Daw last year as depth....

Melting over depth is always silly, few posters on our board bagged the Daw pickup for example. Not sure what they expected, he was an emergency utility tall who was never playing without 2-3 serious injuries to our talls. Would rather a seasoned AFL player as your depth in that situation over a 19 yr old pick 120.

It is disingenuous to make comparisons like that. The same comparison can be made for all the ruckmen who did not make it in the AFL, Lewis Pierce for example.
Yes. Yes it can. Outside of a few exceptions, pretty much all ruckman look hopeless in their first few years. That is exactly the point I am making

Yet you are bemoaning picking up Xerri. He could be Lewis Pierce. He could be Max Gawn. Nobody knows yet. Including you

Probably why the last two pages are full of posts laughing at your melt over Xerri and you saying that teams like Melbourne, Richmond or the Dogs would not trade or draft a player like him. They regularly do mate

Last edited:
I'm not upset at his opinion at all, just find the "great clubs like Richmond Bulldogs and Melbourne would never do this" hysterics way over the top.

Just a bit of hyperbole, the world needs more flourishes. Spread the mayo thick I say.

Why are you getting upset at lewdogs expressing his opinion?

Why are you getting upset about me getting upset about Lewdogs getting upset about Ray getting upset? You seem unregulated.

Interesting how there is barely a whimper about Xerri going on the Kangaroos board. They don't seem to rate him in the same way as we suddenly seem to.

We are “rating him” as a slightly better (certainly younger) version of Paul Hunter. That’s all.

I am into facts not hysteria. Melbourne in the past four drafts and trading periods have been an object lesson in how to do it. Wikipedia features every draft in detail - have a good close look of what they have done in the four draft periods up to 2020. Hysterics is when you jump on the bandwagon of a player who has played two or three good games in a reduced season of the VFL.

And BTW I did not use the term 'great clubs', though having said that, what Melbourne have done in trading and drafting in the last four years has been phenomenal. Opinion backed up by facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back