Paul Hunter

Traded;
Luke Dunstan

Retired;
Jake Carlisle
Dylan Roberton
Shaun McKernan
James Frawley

To see the full playing list list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Trade Period
Players: Monday October 4 – Wednesday October 13
Picks: Monday October 4 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 - Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 - Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2 – completion: Thursday November 25 (7pm - late)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday 6 December

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday 19 December - Sunday 9 January

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, what we need is an athletic KPD that can play one on one, intercept mark plus take on the game and be offensive.
and maybe kick a few 70 metre torpedo bombs for goal each game as well ?

Defence not Melbourne's strong suit?

They were the best defensive side in the comp this is year.

Not only do they have a great backline and good defensive.set up but they also have a quality midfield that run harder each way than just about any other club

Losing quality players hurts any side but they are in a much better position to get by without Gawn than when are without Ryder IMO due to their elite midfield.
Didn't mention "team defence".

Just stating the obvious that mids have to play a different way if their ruckman is not the dominant big man on the ground.

If Hannebery ever manages to get his body right and play regular footy, he is best 22. Given it is pre-pre-season I can dream, and one my of my most fervent hopes is that Hanners gets his body sorted and plays every game. If that happens he will quite possibly be another elite A grader in our team. It's a massive if I know, but I can dream in November!

I agree that a fit Hannebery is best 22 but the odds of his body holding up over a season are astronomical. I don't think we can plan for him being in the team.

Almost every player in our best 22 are nowhere near their ceiling. Even Steele.

Steele 2 x AA and by far our best mid and isnt anywhere near his ceiling? I have been a massive Steele fanboy and I didn't see that coming ahaha. Whats next for him? AA again, MVP, Brownlow? He's by far out best player and I didn't see that happening 2 years ago.

I agree that a fit Hannebery is best 22 but the odds of his body holding up over a season are astronomical. I don't think we can plan for him being in the team.
Little known fact - ever since Hannebery decided to stop trying to be as fit as he was when he was 25 he has not missed a game.

Little known fact - ever since Hannebery decided to stop trying to be as fit as he was when he was 25 he has not missed a game.

It looks like our whole squad took up his method.

Our lack of proper stars hold us back from going that next step to a premiership. If we don't develop a few more, top 4 might be our ceiling. Steele is our only close to elite player and he's not a high impact player like Petracca, Bont, Dusty etc. Port are in a similar boat. Brisbane since Charlie Cameron dropped off.
Give me a break Gringo cmon man... "close to elite"? He's had 2 top 5 finishes in the brownlow and AFLCA MVP awards. "Not a high impact player" averaged over a goal a game, has one of the highest disposal efficiencies of any inside mid and is good overhead. Please stop underselling our first genuine star since Roo 😂

Give me a break Gringo cmon man... "close to elite"? He's had 2 top 5 finishes in the brownlow and AFLCA MVP awards. "Not a high impact player" averaged over a goal a game, has one of the highest disposal efficiencies of any inside mid and is good overhead. Please stop underselling our first genuine star since Roo 😂
I think hes saying he's the only close to elite, not that he is close to elite.

We all know Steele is a genuine elite player, but he's the only one we've got right now.

It's arguable whether we have others that are "close to elite" but Steele is definitely the only elite player we currently have.

Butler is the only other player on our list to make an AA squad in recent times.

He's a gun but his impact isn't like Petracca, Dusty. Fyfe and Bont types. I see him in that Olly Wines, vintage Rory Sloan, Sam Walsh type of very excellent players who are not quite superstars.

I love Steele but he's just not quite in that absolute star category that Roo was, maybe he has one more gear to go up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a gun but his impact isn't like Petracca, Dusty. Fyfe and Bont types. I see him in that Olly Wines, vintage Rory Sloan, Sam Walsh type of very excellent players who are not quite superstars.

I love Steele but he's just not quite in that absolute star category that Roo was, maybe he has one more gear to go up.
depends on whether star refers to impact on games or their marketability. Steele is definitely the first time in a while we've had a player respected and coveted by the other teams in the AFL.

Didn't this bloke just win the Brownlow with an all time high number of votes?

How is he not a 'superstar' of the game?

Honestly not sure Fyfe is in the Dusty/Trac catagorey anymore.

I get the point youre making but Dusty and Trac just do different stuff to pretty much everyone else in football. Danger, Fyfe even Bont dont play the way they do.

If Steele is in the next catagorey down from those two then hes in Wines, Neale, Kennedy, Oliver territory and is still a genuine star.

Looks like a good trade for us.

If Adelaide came dead last, which they won't.
And if there were no Father/Sons or Academy picks, again not likely.

Adelaide 2022:
Pick 1
(+18) Pick 19
(+18) Pick 37
(+18) Pick 55.

That's nearly worse case and we'd break even.

Should be a win.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looks like a good trade for us.

If Adelaide came dead last, which they won't.
And if there were no Father/Sons or Academy picks, again not likely.

Adelaide 2022:
Pick 1
(+18) Pick 19
(+18) Pick 37
(+18) Pick 55.

That's nearly worse case and we'd break even.

Should be a win.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Its a win points wise but its a loss to trading in to this draft. I suppose it would probably have been our F2 or F3 we would be trading into this draft anyway. I'm nonplussed by the decision. It's good if Owens gets bid in the early 20s.

Its a win points wise but its a loss to trading in to this draft. I suppose it would probably have been our F2 or F3 we would be trading into this draft anyway. I'm nonplussed by the decision. It's good if Owens gets bid in the early 20s.
Owens moving up the list is the likely reason for the trade.

May also be driven by us not wanting to have to use all our Picks on Owens and Windy because we have our eye on someone for a late pick.

Owens moving up the list is the likely reason for the trade.

May also be driven by us not wanting to have to use all our Picks on Owens and Windy because we have our eye on someone for a late pick.
It's a good move to ward off getting reamed if we came to need more points during the live draft. This lets them focus on the task of maximizing any other benefits to be had like trading back in or moving our first down the order for some amazing outcome I can't yet imagine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back