Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The "if it's not posted on social media, it didn't happen" mindset is far beyond my comprehension. I assume extras are being done. Why? Because we've been one of the best sides in the comp for 3 ******* years!!!!

Who said extras weren’t being done?

I am happy to see this across the whole club. I said multiple times this year that I think we had an meh off season last year and it showed, our conditioning was average. I think it was mainly due to COVID and the short break but still - I hoped to see ‘extras’ again this year. A couple of years ago the guys were getting together in the park to play scratch matches and do training session on their own accord, if people recall?

I am massive on ‘extras’ in pro sports- I think it is what separates the best from the rest. It’s not enough of a thing in the AFL.

Forwards used to get hundreds of shots on goal in their own time, they can’t now because of sports science.

Kobe Bryant would hire a highschool gym or facility in most cities and get up shots on his day off when on the road. He also made sure he was always last in the gym. So if someone else stayed back, he would stay back with them. He is an extreme example of coarse.

I’m not saying they ‘should’ or it’s bad if they don’t, I know their is a huge focus on ‘down time’ and ‘golf’ these days but they only train like 2 hours a week - it’s hardly long enough to fully excel in your field.

I will likely get shot down for this haha but I do look at a guy like J Berry and think - imagine if he put half of the the 5 hours a week he puts into golf, into close hands work, 1 hour a week with a running coach and extra skills sessions.

Anyway, love seeing extras - it’ll be the difference.
I heard a player talking about Kobe doing this. (Forget who it was). He went to the gym and Kobe had already been there for an hour. Other bloke trained for an hour and a half and when he left Kobe was still there working his butt off. When he saw Kobe next he asked him why he stayed in the gym for so long after he had gone? Kobe said because I saw you come in and I wanted to let u know that I was prepared to work harder than you and anyone else. Mindset of an absolute champion.

On moto g(30) using BigFooty.com mobile app

I heard a player talking about Kobe doing this. (Forget who it was). He went to the gym and Kobe had already been there for an hour. Other bloke trained for an hour and a half and when he left Kobe was still there working his butt off. When he saw Kobe next he asked him why he stayed in the gym for so long after he had gone? Kobe said because I saw you come in and I wanted to let u know that I was prepared to work harder than you and anyone else. Mindset of an absolute champion.

He's following MJ's philosophy...if you take a look at The Last Dance (episodes 1 & 2) , Jordan says almost exactly that.

I am happy to see this across the whole club. I said multiple times this year that I think we had an meh off season last year and it showed, our conditioning was average. I think it was mainly due to COVID and the short break but still - I hoped to see ‘extras’ again this year. A couple of years ago the guys were getting together in the park to play scratch matches and do training session on their own accord, if people recall?

I am massive on ‘extras’ in pro sports- I think it is what separates the best from the rest. It’s not enough of a thing in the AFL.

Forwards used to get hundreds of shots on goal in their own time, they can’t now because of sports science.

Kobe Bryant would hire a highschool gym or facility in most cities and get up shots on his day off when on the road. He also made sure he was always last in the gym. So if someone else stayed back, he would stay back with them. He is an extreme example of coarse.

I’m not saying they ‘should’ or it’s bad if they don’t, I know their is a huge focus on ‘down time’ and ‘golf’ these days but they only train like 2 hours a week - it’s hardly long enough to fully excel in your field.

I will likely get shot down for this haha but I do look at a guy like J Berry and think - imagine if he put half of the the 5 hours a week he puts into golf, into close hands work, 1 hour a week with a running coach and extra skills sessions.

huh?

Yeah the sports science guys and the AFLPA killed this approach haha

I feel like we have been over this about 50 times on here. I believe they spend roughly 2 hours a week on the training track, during the season, might even be less. A couple of 50 minute sessions and a captains run? Danny Daly did an interview a couple of years ago where he spoke about how little time players actually work on skills during the season. It was under 2 hours from memory.

Check out robs vlog this week. The boys are putting in the work and look extremely fit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Check out robs vlog this week. The boys are putting in the work and look extremely fit

Hey, yep I haven’t yet but I will - as I said, I’m really happy to see how hard the group are working as a collective this year prior to training restart. Straight sets stings.

To be clear, from what I’ve seen/heard this group have done solid extras routinely throughout the last 3-4 years, there’s no issue there.

Call me sceptical but I believe they are just doing their off-season programs. When one is talking about extras it is above what they are expected to do.
Good to know Fages is putting in the extra miles during pre-season training at least ;)

Might have a breakout year at the club in 2022 I say if he keeps it up :p

I have taken two other things from Robbo's videos:
  1. JBerry probably shouldnt go the media career after football. He seems to freeze up a little everytime they put the camera on him. Its kinda hilarious to see
  2. Fullerton is the opposite and comes across as a great communicator to the camera.
I wouldn't take much from Robbo's video's period. I love his passion & the way he plays the game of AFL but seriously not a full box of chocolates.

I wouldn't take much from Robbo's video's period. I love his passion & the way he plays the game of AFL but seriously not a full box of chocolates.

Just because he sees the world differently to a staid perspective, don't pigeon hole Robbo. Very smart bloke, actually.

Was actually more informative and entertaining than some of the official vids. And he'd clearly put a lot of effort into it.

Robbo is not as silly as some think. Just because he enjoys living life and clowns around a bit, doesn't mean he isn't 'a full box of chocolates'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back