Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL top up players can NOT be upgraded to play at AFL level.

Also there is a $100k salary cap for the VFL team.

I'm not talking about through the season.

So Joyce can't be a VFL player next year, and then get re-drafted at years end if he has a Ben Keays type talent growth spurt?

I understand there's bugger all money in the cap for the VFL team, but hell, when I was 20 I was working at Franklins Big Fresh part time while studying at uni anyway.

Not saying it's likely, just asking if it's allowable.

Sorry if it has already been discussed but what are we theorising we will be doing with next year’s first?

Obviously we need to move it out, but how do we maximise it’s value?
Without looking at other scenarios, us swapping our future first (likely 12-18) with Bulldogs' first this year (currently 15) would make good sense. They have a top 3 F/S this year, while we have a top 3-5 F/S next year, would help both clubs maximise use out of first round pick, rather than letting it be eaten up by an early bid. This is definitely win/win.

They can of course split their pick 15 into some lower picks with another club of course.

Without looking at other scenarios, us swapping our future first (likely 12-18) with Bulldogs' first this year (currently 15) would make good sense. They have a top 3 F/S this year, while we have a top 3-5 F/S next year, would help both clubs maximise use out of first round pick, rather than letting it be eaten up by an early bid. This is definitely win/win.

They can of course split their pick 15 into some lower picks with another club of course.
The more challenging issue may be what we do with their pick if we get it. Do we take three first round picks to the draft or try to bundle-up two of them for a higher pick. Not sure who would be willing to do that though.

The more challenging issue may be what we do with their pick if we get it. Do we take three first round picks to the draft or try to bundle-up two of them for a higher pick. Not sure who would be willing to do that though.
I know it's be discussed before but the talent from 4 to 20 is reasonably even so personally I don't see much value in packaging them together to move up.

And given the hit you have to take to move up the order would it be worth it? I guess it comes down to who we have our eye on.

As a hypothetical if we get the Dogs pick & it turns out to be 15. Is 15 & 18 (again another hypothetical) worth 10?

Is the spread of talent from say pick 5 to 20 even enough to suggest that we're better off taking 14,15 & 18?

I have no idea, but I bet briztoon and his draft watching mates do. Maybe.

I think Aspley has pulled out of the VFL for next year? I wonder if we can split that 190k over four experienced ex Lions who seem pretty entrenched in QLD.
Bringing back both Basty and Hammelmann? Will our SFA contingent survive this?

Reckon Ryan should just start shooting Brew with Basti again and send them in. Could just pay him 1k per episode as he works his way through the list. Just call him a freelance content creator who just happens to run out for our VFL team. Outside the cap?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I promise I'd go to EVERY VFL game in QLD if we bring basti back.

Hard to see us having much play money over the next few years. We really only need more midfield speed and size plus depth in our talls.
I like Jake Riccardi from the Giants, OOC this year, the other 2 I have mentioned before that would be depth options are Matt Hammelmann and Blake Schlensog.

Sorry if it has already been discussed but what are we theorising we will be doing with next year’s first?

Obviously we need to move it out, but how do we maximise it’s value?

Swap it for Bulldogs first this year and a bunch of pick swaps. They get points for Darcy and a free 1st next year, we get a free 1st and points for Aschcroft next year.

Still think we need to cover Hipwood
Maybe left field Josh Kennedy pretty sure out of contract at the Eagles
Be worth it short term

Our ruck stocks are terrifying. God forbid if Oscar is injured we will have to change things up a bit. But if everything is a bit tight this year, I doubt any relief will be forthcoming.

I have only taken a really superficial view here, but Mason Cox if cheap could be an option. Can ruck and clunk a mark forward. Would give some proper respite for our big O.

Our ruck stocks are terrifying. God forbid if Oscar is injured we will have to change things up a bit. But if everything is a bit tight this year, I doubt any relief will be forthcoming.

I have only taken a really superficial view here, but Mason Cox if cheap could be an option. Can ruck and clunk a mark forward. Would give some proper respite for our big O.

I am disgusted with myself that I had the same thought the other week. Don't think I could handle it though, leave the chanting USA embarrassment to pies fans imo.

I am disgusted with myself that I had the same thought the other week. Don't think I could handle it though, leave the chanting USA embarrassment to pies fans imo.

But we could sing sweet american pie before games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back