Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks Mate - briztoon

Looking at Cal Twomeys updated top 30, he has rated Goater at 18 and Ward at 6. Looking at his list, was there anyone that surprised you (high/low)? Also keeping 14 and 18 (which will become 16 and 20) should get us two quality players that will help us moving fwd.
According to Cal, he has ranked 16 - 20
- T. SONSIE (Mid/Fwd)
- M. ROBERTS (Mid/Fwd from SA)
- J. GOATER (Mid)
- S. BUTLER (Mid/Fwd)
- C. CHESSER (Mid/Def)

So apart from a slider of two from his list 1-15, which two would best suit our needs?
General speaking, going off past years, Twomey’s ratings usually aren’t very accurate beyond the top tier.

Most recruiters are reluctant to speak beyond generalisations about prospects.

His late mail phantom draft though, is usually pretty accurate for the first dozen or so picks. Provided there aren’t any curveballs at the top of the draft.

I haven’t paid attention to Chesser, so he’s one I don’t know about.

Personally from Twomey’s list from pick 16 to 30, I only really like Goater and Wilmot.

I should say, in regards to Twomey’s top 30. He’s probably got 28 of the top 30, just not in order.

I struggle to see Goater getting to our first pick, mainly because a lot of clubs are now looking for those tall, running mids.

Anyone think it's time for a mini rebuild? What we're doing isn't enough to win a flag, so why not accept that and try and extend our premiership window? Rumours suggest Neale could go back to Perth, so why not facilitate that while his currency is strong? With the picks we can get from him, we can upgrade on this year's draft order while still trading in for a future first so we can secure Fletcher and Ashcroft for next year. I like Neale and I was as distraught as everyone else when I heard these rumours, but look at our how we played without him this year. He's easily our best player, but we can play just as good without him as we can with him. Neale going would also open Starce and Rayner into the midfield, while answerth can take Starce's old role. Birchall going allows for Madden and Coleman to gain more senior games as well. These subtle changes coupled with the possibility of Roberson and Prior gaining more games could actually set us up for a better premiership tilt in the future.

Yep, start by delisting Matheison.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mat Rendell on SEN today said out of the ones being discussed along with Mason Cox for us, we would be mad not to take Mason Cox. Said he's tall, can ruck very well and can kick goals. Would allow Daniher to run around etc. Also said he'd take Mason Cox before Levi Casboult.

Said he was a big fan of his and that he's better than given credit for.

Last edited:
Mat Rendell on SEN today said out of the ones being discussed along with Mason Cox for us, we would be mad not to take Mason Cox. Said he's tall, can ruck very well and can kick goals. Would allow Daniher to run around etc. Also said he'd take Mason Cox before Levi Casboult.

Single handedly stitched up Richmond and got Collingwood into a grand final. Not sure what his goal kicking stats are like but when I have seen him play he rarely seems to miss a set shot.

My preference would be Cox. More versatility. But if we end up with Casboult then meh.

The bloke's a troll. I wouldn't bother responding.

Wait. I'm confused? I asked a genuine question about trading Neale so we can help the club win a premiership and I'm a troll? It was a genuine question and Fagan also stated he's trying new ways of changing the club himself? I was literally going off that. If I said something bad that I have missed, then I apologize, but I thought my question was genuine. Oh well 🤷‍♂️.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t Rendall draft him

Curious, bit surprised you are considering Cox or Levi ( better of the 2 options) given the number of talls you have on your list, even with Hipwood being injured.

Ballenden not rated for the role, these guys would fill?

Need one who can clunk a mark, provide a target and ruck part time when needed. Fullarton is definitely not that third tall clunker but can provide ruck relief, Ballenden is playing more at CHB lately. After that cupboard is bare.

Single handedly stitched up Richmond and got Collingwood into a grand final. Not sure what his goal kicking stats are like but when I have seen him play he rarely seems to miss a set shot.
You are correct in that Cox can kick straight.
His yearly goal career average starting from year 2021: 1.1, 1.3, 1.4, 1.0, 1.1, 1.6 (total career average 1.2)
2021: 8g-8b
2020: 14g-2b
2019: 19g-10b
2018: 25g-12b
2017: 10g-5b
2016: 17g-7b

However Cox has not cracked the 10 disposal average per game in any one year he has played. His best being 9.9 disposals in year 2018
His H/O average per game as a F/R starting with year 2021: 3.3 H/O, 3.0, 4.6, 6.8. 16.1, 7.2 (total career average 6.6)
Career tackle average is 1.4
Cox is 31 years old in March

Need one who can clunk a mark, provide a target and ruck part time when needed. Fullarton is definitely not that third tall clunker but can provide ruck relief, Ballenden is playing more at CHB lately. After that cupboard is bare.

Rated Ballenden in his draft year, can play both ends and chopout in the ruck. Surprised he wasn't tried before Fullarton

I wonder if we could consider bringing Jarrod Cameron over and offer him a VFL contract for 2022?
See how he goes and whether he is worth bringing on for 2023.

I wonder if we could consider bringing Jarrod Cameron over and offer him a VFL contract for 2022?
See how he goes and whether he is worth bringing on for 2023.

I have it on good advice that there is very little draw for JC to come to Brisbane (he didn't do his highschooling there like Charlie). In addition - Charlie has apparently been noted saying that there is no major want for them to play together like some other brothers. He is settled in WA and I believe is dealing with some ongoing personal issues, whilst not out of the question, I think a move to Brissy is unlikely.

I have it on good advice that there is very little draw for JC to come to Brisbane (he didn't do his highschooling there like Charlie). In addition - Charlie has apparently been noted saying that there is no major want for them to play together like some other brothers. He is settled in WA and I believe is dealing with some ongoing personal issues, whilst not out of the question, I think a move to Brissy is unlikely.

Would be very surprised if he doesn't move tbh

I will be blunt.Massive no to Cox, Levi or fort. Levi and Cox are like the products you would find at the Not Quite Right store reduced to clear on a clearance sale. They can beat their drums in the media as much as they want selling their wares. Frankly I don’t care.I want someone who is in the age profile, young enough to develop and grow with this group.

Free up some extra salary cap space and go after someone. Someone Young (pardon the pun) enough who wants to explore his options. The old adage -Pay for what you get. Why should the club go after cheap and nasty when we could potentially do better. I really like CCJ and is my preferred option,Young is my next option.

WESTERN Bulldogs tall Lewis Young will explore his options at rivals before weighing up whether to accept a deal to remain at Whitten Oval.

Young, 22, will meet with prospective clubs over the coming days as the Dogs await an answer on his future.

The Grand Finalists have had a two-year offer in front of Young for more than a month and want him to be part of their long-term future. However, he will take his time to work through whether stronger opportunities lie elsewhere.

nf5TU39M.jpg

Lewis Young of the Bulldogs in action during training on September 22, 2021. Picture: AFL Photos
Young played nine matches this season, including two finals as a pinch-hit ruckman. But it took his career tally to just 24 games across five seasons after he was drafted in the months following the Dogs' 2016 premiership.

The 202cm South Australian arrived as a key forward but has spent more time in defence at the Dogs. Swingman written all over him,just what the doctor ordered.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back