Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If as a team, we are playing unbelievably well with Oscar, Fort McStay and Daniher. When Hippy is ready to come back it will be an extremely hard decision for the coaching staff to make as to whether we change the structure slightly by playing Daniher with Oscar in the Ruck and dropping Fort, or dropping McStay or Daniher for Hippy or leaving Hippy sidelined for a bit longer.
I doubt it will be the latter as I think they will give Hippy as long as possible before finals to get up to speed.
More than likely imo it will be Fort who is likely dropped and we trial Daniher back in the ruck for short periods and Oscar ups his minutes in there.
That combination worked very well this year until Hippy went down, so will likely be trialled again.
With Oscar getting less ruck minutes for the first half of the year he may be able to sustain his performance for a bit longer in the latter part of the year with Daniher as support.
There is also no Guarantee that Fort is a walk up start at the start of the year as others like Fullarton, Lane, Payne or Smith may come on quicker than expected during pre-season.

May not be a popular thought but I'd move Hipwood to defense. Build up his game time in 2s, run more straight lines for rest of the year and see if he can come in for backline. He's played defense in juniors and will be a genuine swing man for us.

May not be a popular thought but I'd move Hipwood to defense. Build up his game time in 2s, run more straight lines for rest of the year and see if he can come in for backline. He's played defense in juniors and will be a genuine swing man for us.
I think he is more likely to be able to run straight lines as a forward rather than having to follow his direct opponent as a defender.
As a forward you decide your own running patterns. You don’t as a defender.

How do you know that?
What if he's back in July?
Well that'd be good wouldn't it. If he was ready.

What if he's not back at all ?

I'm simply extrapolating 12 months from when he went down and I think any sensible person would also take into account contingencies, match fitness and having a guess.

Is that not allowed or do you know precisely when he'll be back. For sure.

Going into this year it was already debated we were too tall without the 5th (second ruck). We are a slow side who gets ripped apart on the rebound. To play that 5th tall you would sacrifice a mid/winger. Personally, I think it would be simply untenable.

Take last years finals team, leave Fullerton in and add Fort to the line up whilst sacrificing a mid- would be the closet, relevant example to that line up. It would have been comical.
Fullarton isn't Hipwood or McStay.

The successful teams seem to have 2 rucks . Even one with a totally dominant ruck in Gawn.

McStay has the potential to play more of a utility role if need be.

I just don't see the point of ruling anything out.

There's a tendency to take our best case scenario months before the season even starts. Players lose form ,get injured, you often don't get to use your ideal structure or have the cattle to do it. We could've done with a competitive 2nd ruck in 2021. Who's to say next year will be any different. You need the best plan you can put together for all contingencies given there is a problem fitting all you want into a list these days.

Well that'd be good wouldn't it. If he was ready.

What if he's not back at all ?

I'm simply extrapolating 12 months from when he went down and I think any sensible person would also take into account contingencies, match fitness and having a guess.

Is that not allowed or do you know precisely when he'll be back. For sure.
I have no "certain" idea as to when he may/may not be back however reports are saying he is well ahead of his rehab schedule. Taking into account he went down early July, and its (like you say) normally a 12 month injury, I would have a guess at late July being his return to playing. That may/may not be a few games in the 2's first up but thats another discussion for a time closer to July I would think. I would definitely not use the words "certainly not happening until the latter part of the 2022".......if that's allowed.;)

Fullarton isn't Hipwood or McStay.

That not the point at all. Clearly the post was to highlight what commitment to a 5 tall set up would look like - using our most recent team as an example. The same applies if it's Hipwood - he is not a pressure forward.

Daly has said we are after Fort as a back up tap ruckman. He will get here I am sure. I dont understand why we are putting page after page discussing it?
Because it is possibly the only trade the Lions look like doing.
And this is the Trade discussion thread after all.
The talk has gone from Casboult to Fort to Cox back to Casboult and back to Fort and as the club has set it’s sites on Fort, then so have we with the discussion.

No cap space and we want to take our first rounders to the draft because we haven’t for a few years.

To be fair if we did add O'Meara and had injuries go our way next year, we'd have the best midfield in the competition.

To be fair if we did add O'Meara and had injuries go our way next year, we'd have the best midfield in the competition.
It is another risk though isn’t it?
We have had some luck in that area with injury prone players that we have brought in, but it might bite us on the bum at some point continuing down that same path.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think with the addition of Fort we will have a well rounded list with reasonable cover in all positions and with the natural improvement of our younger players I feel more confident with our chances going into next year.

I feel like until the club says otherwise, we can assume Hippy's recovery will be 12 months between injury and return to senior footy. He did his knee on 10 July. Most years, that's round 16/17. I think we can put plans in place for his return to the side around then - that's the most likely scenario IMO.

Yes, the reports are that it wasn't a "good" ACL but neither has the club or anyone else said that the same recovery path won't apply. A "good" ACL injury sometimes allows a player to return earlier. But, unless there's a real setback, the stock standard recovery period is 12 months.
Rayner was apparently ready to go round 15 this season but he’s list spot was taken by Lane and we couldn’t elevate someone else in he’s place it Definitely depends on Hipwood’s recovery rate

Rayner was apparently ready to go round 15 this season but he’s list spot was taken by Lane and we couldn’t elevate someone else in he’s place it Definitely depends on Hipwood’s recovery rate

He wasn't mate. He was nowhere near ready. ACLS take minimum 9-12 months.

O'Meara is worth a go.

Would be awesome to see Lyons and Jaeger sticking it to the Suns next year.

Our medical staff are great, but knee replacement surgery may be a bit beyond them ;)

Who knows what will happen, but the Hawks have picked a crap time to do the fire sale, not dissimilar to the teams that were at the bottom when all the suns & gws concessions were happening.... hmmm.

I can really only see Port & Freo as being suitors at this stage, maybe GWS if the Hawks pony enough dough to help with their cap space.

Isn't O'Meara more of what we already have though? There's only a limited amount of mid-time and with Lyons and Neale already in there I'd rather that time go to Bailey/Rayner/Zorko/Cockatoo and potentially Starce.

Daly has said we are after Fort as a back up tap ruckman. He will get here I am sure. I dont understand why we are putting page after page discussing it?
Seems to be a lack of understanding on risk management and the fact that the coaching team and fans clearly thought Oscar couldn’t do it on his own.

Isn't O'Meara more of what we already have though? There's only a limited amount of mid-time and with Lyons and Neale already in there I'd rather that time go to Bailey/Rayner/Zorko/Cockatoo and potentially Starce.

Yep and I certainly wouldn't be using pick 14 on him. If we choose wisely 14 could be a long term gun.

We have 4 ruckman on our list without Fort Us looking at a 29 year old ruckman probably means Ambrorgio doesn’t think Fullarton Lane or Smith are ready to take the mantle if heaven forbid something happens to BigO

That not the point at all. Clearly the post was to highlight what commitment to a 5 tall set up would look like - using our most recent team as an example. The same applies if it's Hipwood - he is not a pressure forward.
My point being that it's far more likely to work with Hipwood or McStay who are more mobile and have class and experience than Fullarton who at this stage you would obviously go with a smaller player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back