Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We have 4 ruckman on our list without Fort Us looking at a 29 year old ruckman probably means Ambrorgio doesn’t think Fullarton Lane or Smith are ready to take the mantle if heaven forbid something happens to BigO

You’re as good as Freo posters at maths aren’t you?

You’re as good as Freo posters at maths aren’t you?
What's your point? We do have 4 rucks on our list, 3 of them are young, inexperienced and probably not up to being number 1 rucks week in week out.

The successful teams seem to have 2 rucks

Really?

Melbourne, sure.

The Bulldogs were the runners up. I'd argue they have barely two halves of a ruck.

Port had 2-ish, although Ladhams only played 2/3rds of their season and Lycett is ok at best.

Geelong kinda have one. A bit of a conceded pass. They definitely don't have two.

Then us, who played Oscar plus a combination of someone whose primary ruck skill was dodging the opponent and someone who at least jumped but barely more than that.

GWS played the propped up corpse of Mumford.

Sydney plays a single ruck.

And I don't consider Essendon to have really made finals.

One team in the top 8 played two credible rucks.

Really?

Melbourne, sure.

The Bulldogs were the runners up. I'd argue they have barely two halves of a ruck.

Port had 2-ish, although Ladhams only played 2/3rds of their season and Lycett is ok at best.

Geelong kinda have one. A bit of a conceded pass. They definitely don't have two.

Then us, who played Oscar plus a combination of someone whose primary ruck skill was dodging the opponent and someone who at least jumped but barely more than that.

Yes ,because the were the only team who had 2 credible rucks.

It's clear to see most of the others wanted to if they had someone else decent.

The Dogs were desperate.

Really?

Melbourne, sure.

Do you see Oscar playing more of that forward/ruck combo and Fort playing as our main ruckman out of the two who has the better ruck craft? Was really impressed with how BigO ended the season

What's your point? We do have 4 rucks on our list, 3 of them are young, inexperienced and probably not up to being number 1 rucks week in week out.

They might be young but they’ll be 50 in about 30 years

I've been a vocal supporter of "we need a second ruck" idea so I'm excited about Fort coming onboard. Hope it happens. If Fort can take the first ruck from Big O, it'll be interesting to see what Oscar can do as a full forward who plays deep. I doubt there'll be many defenders out there who can spoil BigO when he goes for a mark at its highest point.

We need to add something different to give us an edge for 2022 and Big O in forward line might be one of them.

IIRC the only Premiership winner in recent memory not to play 2 rucks was Richmond in 2020 when there were much shorter games and injury issues.

There seems to be a dearth of quality ruckmen overall . It wasn't that long ago when nearly every team had a good one. And in previous eras he was probably the most important player.

When a Gawn comes along you can see how important the ruckman is . Many of the teams are now making do with what they have.

The mistake was drafting HSmith and Lane. Not Fort
Should've said that to start off with. I agree that I'm not sure where Smith fits at AFL level but he's still growing into his body and hasn't had much of a go in the ruck yet. Also at the time of drafting him we needed a project ruck/key position player so it wasn't particularly surprising. Lane I like as a pure ruck and thought it was a good idea to draft him last season, for me I hope he is our main ruck in the reserves next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My point being that it's far more likely to work with Hipwood or McStay who are more mobile and have class and experience than Fullarton who at this stage you would obviously go with a smaller player.

Yeah obviously you would prefer Hippy over Fullerton, but either way, it's extremely tall for a team who already struggles horribly with rebound defence.

My response was more about the fact I used the finals team and a relevant, top of mind example.

Who knows hey? I'd say the plan is to use Fort (in place of Fullerton) and Oscar while Hipwood is out and then go to a forward resting ruck model, once Hippy is back - if all 5 bigs are available.

The club is probably not as bogged down about how we use him, they just want a decent ruck as back up and an option to use as part of various possible scenarios.

My point being that it's far more likely to work with Hipwood or McStay who are more mobile and have class and experience than Fullarton who at this stage you would obviously go with a smaller player.

Yeah obviously you would prefer Hippy over Fullerton, but either way, it's extremely tall for a team who already struggles horribly with rebound defence.

My response was more about the fact I used the finals team and a relevant, top of mind example.

Who knows hey? I'd say the plan is to use Fort (in place of Fullerton) and Oscar while Hipwood is out and then go to a forward resting ruck model, once Hippy is back - if all 5 bigs are available.

The club is probably not as bogged down about how we use him, they just want a decent ruck as back up and an option to use as part of various possible scenarios.

Well I hope they both prove you wrong.

I personally don’t see 2 developing rucks on a list as a mistake.

If they’re any good they’ll probably want to explore opportunities in a couple of years

We have 4 ruckman on our list without Fort Us looking at a 29 year old ruckman probably means Ambrorgio doesn’t think Fullarton Lane or Smith are ready to take the mantle if heaven forbid something happens to BigO
and?

Really?

Melbourne, sure.

I'd argue the Doggies should not have been there in the 1st place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back