Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How many midfielders is too many we already have mids that can’t get consistent games right now at the Lions the KPP seem to be going early I agree should we look at players that can play in multiple positions on the field?
The mids not getting game time this year aren’t really up to it in my opinion.

CEY, Ely Smith, Tom Berry and Tom Joyce (though Joyce more due consist injury and unfortunate circumstance).

Plus we’re going to need to replace Robinson and Zorko in the midfield in the not to distant future.

I would like some more mids that can push for best 22, and put pressure on JBerry, Lyons and Mathieson for spots in the team or as first in from the reserves if there is an injury.

Pies trade 43 to Dogs for Lipinski, which is 378 points. I think that means they don't have the points to match a pick 1 bid on Daicos again. Maybe our late picks can head their way in the Fort/Ceglar/Lynch deals.
Doesn’t look like Daicos will be bid on by North at pick one, so the Pies don’t need the full points to match a bid at pick 1.

CEY, Ely Smith, Tom Berry and Tom Joyce (though Joyce more due consist injury and unfortunate circumstance).

Plus we’re going to need to replace Robinson and Zorko in the midfield in the not to distant future.

I would like some more mids that can push for best 22, and put pressure on JBerry, Lyons and Mathieson for spots in the team or as first in from the reserves if there is an injury.
Bailey and Rayner are likely to be getting more midfield time next season Berry missed most of the year both Prior and Sharp are capable midfielders we could try McCarthy who can play quite well inside don’t really see midfielders as a massive need prefer players who can play multiple positions or trading into next years draft

Last edited:

Just catching up on some of the discussion. A couple of thoughts I'd like to contribute:

Mention of Zorko as a rebounding half back. Some disputed his ability to run and carry and the quality of his kicking. I think that's pretty harsh. I don't think he is suited to that position either, at least not at this late stage of his career. Zorks can be a very good kick and probably carries the ball as much as anyone in our team. The issue is though, he takes the aggressive and quick option almost every time, which means it results in a turnover very often. Okay in the forward half, but not so much coming.out of defence.

If we end up getting pick 41 and having a list spot to use it, there could be some reasonable picks there. If we decide to go mids and flankers with picks 14 and 18 as has been mentioned there is still a decent chance one of the WA talls could still be in the mix for 41. Amis, Williams, JVR, Bazzo are all spoken about in the top 30 or so but you never know. There is also Aller who is a bit hard to place draft wise and Gibcus who probably won't end up top 10. If we feel we need to grab one earlier there are a few guys Briztoon has mentioned like Sam Banks? Wilmont?

I’m not convinced that CEY, Mathieson, and Lester will all be consistently in the best 22. Is it worth shopping their experience around in the last few days of the trade, to gain some leverage to move up the order. Noble might be interested in adding a bit of experience at North. Even Richmond, Hawthorn, and Collingwood may show interest.
I’d like to see J. Berry go back to replace Birchall or Lester. He’s big enough to take the oppositions third tall, or he can play small. With a little bit extra in the picks from the above trades, they could bid on a package of Fort and Constable. Apparently Constable has elite disposal stats, which is needed in the midfield.
I think if Brisbane picked up Fort, Constable, the best two available at picks 14 and 18, and Triffett as a late pick, it would be a good outcome. Depending if they offload enough players this week, adding Gunston in there would offer experience and a handy swingman.

Already reported that Port have knocked that back.

Hard to see Sydney giving more than that.

Port want a first rounder lol.

You can play the 'Peter Bell' game as much as you want saying, 'we're happy for him to stay', no you're not, you want him out the door, and everyone knows it.

Not sure if all that mind games & bullshit is just for the media or if they actually think it works to manipulate the outcome you want, if you're dealing with a club / individual who's professional it's not going to count for squat.

I’m not convinced that CEY, Mathieson, and Lester will all be consistently in the best 22. Is it worth shopping their experience around in the last few days of the trade, to gain some leverage to move up the order. Noble might be interested in adding a bit of experience at North. Even Richmond, Hawthorn, and Collingwood may show interest.
I’d like to see J. Berry go back to replace Birchall or Lester. He’s big enough to take the oppositions third tall, or he can play small. With a little bit extra in the picks from the above trades, they could bid on a package of Fort and Constable. Apparently Constable has elite disposal stats, which is needed in the midfield.
I think if Brisbane picked up Fort, Constable, the best two available at picks 14 and 18, and Triffett as a late pick, it would be a good outcome. Depending if they offload enough players this week, adding Gunston in there would offer experience and a handy swingman.
CEY, Mathieson, and Lester have no trade value whatsoever but if Matho and Lester did they wouldn't be sold off to the highest bidder. CEY is on a reasonably fat contract apparently but wouldn't be attractive to anyone given his form trajectory.

CEY, Mathieson, and Lester have no trade value whatsoever but if Matho and Lester did they wouldn't be sold off to the highest bidder. CEY is on a reasonably fat contract apparently but wouldn't be attractive to anyone given his form trajectory.

Source?

Nice to think about all possibilities and I'm not againts discussing hypotheticals. However..

CEY has no trade value, you would have to give a team picks with him to offload his contract.

Matho was recently resigned and would attract a very late pick if anything.

Lester is a heart and soul player who is adored by the club and his peers. There is zero chance we offer him up for trade. He will be on our assistant coaching panel in a few years time such is his value as a person and club member.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey and Rayner are likely to be getting more midfield time next season Berry missed most of the year both Prior and Sharp are capable midfielders we could try McCarthy who can play quite well inside don’t really see midfielders as a massive need prefer players who can play multiple positions or trading into next years draft
I don’t have a pure inside mid in mind. There’s non in this draft I really like anyway.

And trading a first round pick in to next year’s draft doesn’t make sense, unless you plan on trading that pick further forward in to 2023 next year.

Not all players need to be playing in the 1sts to be of value to the team. You need a squad to win a premiership. With restrictions on every teams salary cap you need a balance of A grade , B grade and role players. When a player goes down due to injuries or form you need to find a replacement that does a job. This makes CEY, Mathieson and Lester important to our team during the year and even the finals. To win the grand final you need form and very few injuries as most teams only have 3 or 4 players ready made to play in the firsts as depth. Both Mathieson and Lester played their roles well during the year and are valuable for the culture and depth of our team. Unfortunately CEY was injured most of the year so didn’t have that same impact. Every coach has his preferred line up but due to external factors this team is not always available. Unfortunately the lions did not have the luck with injuries that we had in the previous two years to win a premiership. Many players had career best years in 2021 so it looks promising for the future for the squad. It looks like a few of our top line players will be available at the start of the year so it looks good for the future. It looks like Fagan is backing our squad for 2022 with very few list changes. We have depth on every line except for our back up ruckman. If we get Fort it bodes we’ll for 2022 as their is no guarantee that Hipwood will be ready to make an impact for the 2022 finals.

Constable makes Mathieson look fast.

No team is taking on our fringe players and a pick and trading us back a higher pick.

I’m sorry to say none of ideas are practicable or have merit.

Where’d you get that idea from?

CEY should pretty much be on league minimum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back