Training 2021 Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

As usual, I can’t view them on my iPad. 🙁
I find that if the page doesn’t load on my iPad if I hit refresh, leave the page open and come back here to read for a bit then it’s usually loaded by the time I go back. May take a few goes but works 9 out of 10 times. Can’t explain why.

I find that if the page doesn’t load on my iPad if I hit refresh, leave the page open and come back here to read for a bit then it’s usually loaded by the time I go back. May take a few goes but works 9 out of 10 times. Can’t explain why.
Mine just tries to open the page and then crashes.

Fremantle Dockers training notes: Nat Fyfe on track, Rory Lobb out of knee brace
Headshot of Braden Quartermaine

Braden QuartermaineThe West Australian
Thu, 1 April 2021 12:00PMComments
Braden Quartermaine

Nat Fyfe and [PLAYERCARD]Rory Lobb[/PLAYERCARD].

Nat Fyfe and Rory Lobb.

SKIPPER ON DECK
Nat Fyfe joining his teammates on out on the oval five days after his concussion was a welcome site, albeit he was restricted to some light running with the rehab group.
Fyfe wore running shoes and looked well as he completed run-throughs on the outer side, including weaving between cones and bouncing the ball left-handed while jogging.
Under the AFL’s new minimum 12-day return to play protocol, Fyfe is unable to be considered for selection against Carlton on Sunday.
Nat Fyfe.

Nat Fyfe. Credit: Nic Ellis/The West Australian
ROARING BACK
Another pleasing sight was forward Rory Lobb out of his knee brace more than fortnight ahead of schedule.
Lobb, who suffered damage including an anterior cruciate ligament strain in his right knee in the final pre-season game, appeared on the synthetic grass area adjoining the training oval.
Working with a trainer, he completed flexibility exercises as he eyes a comeback as early as round six.
[PLAYERCARD]Rory Lobb[/PLAYERCARD].

Rory Lobb. Credit: Nic Ellis/The West Australian
STEPPING IT UP
The rehab group is not usually where players want to be, but for veteran Stephen Hill it was a step forward after being restricted to working indoors in recent weeks.
Hill, who has battled a string of soft-tissue problems, is still a long way from playing but joined teammates for some handball drills and light exercise.
Darcy Tucker (hamstring) and Mitch Crowden (calf) ran at a good pace as their recoveries gather momentum, while Brett Bewley ran strongly amid his own battle with an ongoing groin injury.
Michael Walters looks ready to return from his hamstring injury against the Blues, while Josh Treacy is yet to be officially confirmed as a starter but appears likely to make his debut.
[PLAYERCARD]Michael Walters[/PLAYERCARD].

Michael Walters. Credit: Nic Ellis/The West Australian

Defender Brennan Cox moved well and will take his place after copping a knee to the back in the win against Greater Western Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate that it says there was no sign of Hill. I wonder if he’ll retire before the year is out. Would be a tragic way to go out for such a player but would be nice to hear something one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate that it says there was no sign of Hill. I wonder if he’ll retire before the year is out. Would be a tragic way to go out for such a player but would be nice to hear something one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Play him as the sub at home, and hope we don’t need him to play.

Just back from a Harbour Master function at the club which is generally my only opportunity to get a look at training. Didn't get to spend a lot of time watching the session though so just a few random observations.

The best news is that there were 37 out on the track in full training and just the long term injured (Hill, Pearce, Hamling, Switkowski and Bewley who was out running though) unable to train. Lobb looked to be moving pretty well and was involved in match sim and some agility and kicking drills as well as some marking over Sandi on the bag. He looks fine so the only issue that keeps him out this week may be overall conditioning.

Tucker also in match sim and he made a couple of tidy kicks and looked to be moving well. Griff Logue also looked like he was moving well too so some selection issues are starting to loom which is a good thing. Blakely also made a few nice kicks in the sim and got hold of the ball a bit. I think we need Logue in this week so perhaps Watson will be a bit unlucky.

The forwards and a few mids spent a fair bit of time practising goal kicking but still too many misses from set shots for my liking. Fyfe was there the whole time and he started poorly but got better as the session moved on. Looked to me at the end when everyone else was finished he stayed put and played the footy version of the Basketball shooting game Horse where he would take shots from a series of set positions but wouldn't move on to the next spot until he nailed one. Can't fault his commitment and he did slot a few in a row over the last bit so good on him. Still can't figure why he was not getting more recognition and kudos instead of incredulity and criticism for getting straight back out there on Sunday??

The young boys then had a short Q&A at the end of training with HM group although the compere asked all the questions. Good young men all and plenty of drive to succeed! They are all well invested in the system and process, striving to get better and to understand how they fit into the club and game plan. Chappy answered the question about where he'd like to play pretty well by saying he is "working on his defensive stuff now but yeah maybe I'd like to get up the ground a bit". Seems to fit the view of many that he has some tools that suggest a wing/Mid role is not out of the question in the future. O'Driscoll bagged his sister a bit saying he was shocked she made it into the Under 23 AFLW team but later did state he was proud she had made the transition from athlete to footy.

Walker is a little bigger than I realised, similar-sized to O'Driscoll and while Western is small he is quick and very competitive. He actually impressed me with his answers and if he can follow through on what he said he has a future most likely. Treacy is a big unit for his age and he was kicking the ball well at goal. Was a bit embarrassed about his shocking kick at goal after the siren last week and said he was conscious of the rest of the boys lining up behind him o give him a bit of love if he'd kicked it. Not sure he loves the Big Cuhuna nickname but he knows if he pushes back too hard it will stick!

Simon Garlick also had a few things to say at the start of the event and he was making some comparisons to his Bulldogs period when they picked up several high picks (Bontempelli, McRae etc.)and the fact that Brayshaw, Cerra Serong, Young, Henry, Darcy and so on are coming through together. He thinks this helps them be more sticky with the club if they see progress.

In the marking practise the bigs and a few forwards were doing Darcy took a good grab but seemed to land awkwardly and was a bit sore when he got up. I think that knee is still not right and if he lands badly or gets a knock it really hurts him. He looked a bit ginger after that so don't know if it's bad or just something that takes a few minutes to ease off.

Overall a good event and nice to see so many boys out on the track with most of them available for selection at some level - Didn't see Valente though but I am sure he was there otherwise the numbers don't add up!

Just back from a Harbour Master function at the club which is generally my only opportunity to get a look at training. Didn't get to spend a lot of time watching the session though so just a few random observations.

The best news is that there were 37 out on the track in full training and just the long term injured (Hill, Pearce, Hamling, Switkowski and Bewley who was out running though) unable to train. Lobb looked to be moving pretty well and was involved in match sim and some agility and kicking drills as well as some marking over Sandi on the bag. He looks fine so the only issue that keeps him out this week may be overall conditioning.

Tucker also in match sim and he made a couple of tidy kicks and looked to be moving well. Griff Logue also looked like he was moving well too so some selection issues are starting to loom which is a good thing. Blakely also made a few nice kicks in the sim and got hold of the ball a bit. I think we need Logue in this week so perhaps Watson will be a bit unlucky.

The forwards and a few mids spent a fair bit of time practising goal kicking but still too many misses from set shots for my liking. Fyfe was there the whole time and he started poorly but got better as the session moved on. Looked to me at the end when everyone else was finished he stayed put and played the footy version of the Basketball shooting game Horse where he would take shots from a series of set positions but wouldn't move on to the next spot until he nailed one. Can't fault his commitment and he did slot a few in a row over the last bit so good on him. Still can't figure why he was not getting more recognition and kudos instead of incredulity and criticism for getting straight back out there on Sunday??

The young boys then had a short Q&A at the end of training with HM group although the compere asked all the questions. Good young men all and plenty of drive to succeed! They are all well invested in the system and process, striving to get better and to understand how they fit into the club and game plan. Chappy answered the question about where he'd like to play pretty well by saying he is "working on his defensive stuff now but yeah maybe I'd like to get up the ground a bit". Seems to fit the view of many that he has some tools that suggest a wing/Mid role is not out of the question in the future. O'Driscoll bagged his sister a bit saying he was shocked she made it into the Under 23 AFLW team but later did state he was proud she had made the transition from athlete to footy.

Walker is a little bigger than I realised, similar-sized to O'Driscoll and while Western is small he is quick and very competitive. He actually impressed me with his answers and if he can follow through on what he said he has a future most likely. Treacy is a big unit for his age and he was kicking the ball well at goal. Was a bit embarrassed about his shocking kick at goal after the siren last week and said he was conscious of the rest of the boys lining up behind him o give him a bit of love if he'd kicked it. Not sure he loves the Big Cuhuna nickname but he knows if he pushes back too hard it will stick!

Simon Garlick also had a few things to say at the start of the event and he was making some comparisons to his Bulldogs period when they picked up several high picks (Bontempelli, McRae etc.)and the fact that Brayshaw, Cerra Serong, Young, Henry, Darcy and so on are coming through together. He thinks this helps them be more sticky with the club if they see progress.

In the marking practise the bigs and a few forwards were doing Darcy took a good grab but seemed to land awkwardly and was a bit sore when he got up. I think that knee is still not right and if he lands badly or gets a knock it really hurts him. He looked a bit ginger after that so don't know if it's bad or just something that takes a few minutes to ease off.

Overall a good event and nice to see so many boys out on the track with most of them available for selection at some level - Didn't see Valente though but I am sure he was there otherwise the numbers don't add up!
Can confirm Valente was there and trained.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back