Training 2021 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

With such a large number of plates missing a good block of training this last month will put a strain on us the first 6 weeks .. hard to Believe the injury list turned so ugly so fast

With such a large number of plates missing a good block of training this last month will put a strain on us the first 6 weeks .. hard to Believe the injury list turned so ugly so fast

good thing is most had done the major block of the work and wont be too far behind, if at all

After halftime in the Saints game when we went with what will be our proper set up both defensively and more importantly in the midfield we had way the better of the Saints.

With both Ed and Cripps at the majority of stoppages and when Pitt was rucking we dominated both centre and around the ground stoppages.

Our defensive structures totally stymied there ball movement after the half while our transition got better and we moved the ball well which led to plenty of scoring opportunities and Williams should have had 4-5 for the night if not for some missed easy shots.

I think we showed when we got serious that we have made plenty of ground on last year and will win way more than we lose.

Can guarantee you that St Kilda took their foot off the pedal at the same time.

I think we'll be better than last year by some margin, but I still think we're a fair old step behind the top sides.

Not the first time owies has kicked multiple goals in a game. Why does he keep being overlooked?
Cat B rookie? Think he needs someone to go to the inactive or LTI list to be available.
Got a game last year and tried hard, had a couple of good moments. I felt he was still a bit green and needed more time developing before being a realistic option.
That being said, if he keeps kicking 3 goals a week in the reserves he’ll get his chance again.

Not the first time owies has kicked multiple goals in a game. Why does he keep being overlooked?
Until now, it's because of his ability to push up the ground and contribute through the middle, as well as his forward pressure. Both look to have improved in the pre-season game.

I really rate Owies. His pressure and speed are fantastic! Plus he knows how to kick goals, I am hoping he gets a few games this season in the seniors.
I liked what I saw in his first game....looks to have a presence about him.
He'd be another who would benefit having Eddie alongside of him.

Owies a bit fitter could be a good fit for the forward flank. He's got something though he doesn't kick his goals from classic small ways, takes a fair few marks, we would have to be able to hit him up to see the best of him. I like him, would like to see him given some opportunity in the seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You need a few tricks to play small forward and I'm not convinced Owies has enough...yep kicks multiples but a lot seem to be cheapies or jo the gooses....Happy to be proven wrong though
That's rubbish. It's not a coincidence someone pops up all the time in positions to get goals. If it were as simple as sitting out the back then every forward would be doing it, and you'd be incredibly easy to defend. Josh Jenkins got a lot of stick for it but he was one of the best gut runners at the Crows despite being a big forward and so many of his goals in the goal square were because he outworked his opponent and got into the right spot at the right time, not because he stood there waiting and the ball just so happened to fall into his lap 50 times a season.

If Owies is slipping out the back and getting "easy" goals it's a good thing, not a bad thing. You don't get into an AFL game because you sit out the back and get cheapies. AFL Coaches and teammates - and the oppositinon - are smarter than that.

That's rubbish. It's not a coincidence someone pops up all the time in positions to get goals. If it were as simple as sitting out the back then every forward would be doing it, and you'd be incredibly easy to defend. Josh Jenkins got a lot of stick for it but he was one of the best gut runners at the Crows despite being a big forward and so many of his goals in the goal square were because he outworked his opponent and got into the right spot at the right time, not because he stood there waiting and the ball just so happened to fall into his lap 50 times a season.

If Owies is slipping out the back and getting "easy" goals it's a good thing, not a bad thing. You don't get into an AFL game because you sit out the back and get cheapies. AFL Coaches and teammates - and the oppositinon - are smarter than that.

There would be question marks about whether his game translates to AFL level though. Teams are better at getting back into defence, and we'd also typically have more of a KPF presence in the seniors than in the reserves.

I can't see him jumping ahead of Fisher or Murph, or even Betts (despite his age), and if we're going to trial anyone in the seniors mid-season I'd rather it was someone with more x-factor like Durdin or Honey.

As could be seen in the footage, Gibbons, Kennedy, Carroll, Betts and Owies putting their hands up if required.

Really impressed with Owies' form.
Yep and the thing he does best is hit the scoreboard every time he plays, has now really improved his defensive pressure as well, easily kicked the most goals last year in the scratchies and went at 2+ goals a game.

Re. Owies, I reckon it's a simple matter of him honing his game to a point where the club feels he is in a position to consistently provide output that contributes to wins. We're no longer really in the space where we can gift games to players because we think they'll be good down the line, we are looking to win games of footy now and these players (Owies, LOB, Dow etc.) need to push an incumbent out of the side who is contributing to those wins (Gibbons, Betts, Newnes etc.)

I think it was Amos or one of the other assistant coaches speaking to him to inform him of his debut last year and going over the things they had asked him to focus on and improve. The bloke has come out of an elite basketball life and plonked straight into another sport, so his base was pretty low when comparing him to other juniors who have been playing footy and focusing on it for years.

"The pressure around the ball wasn’t a huge jump up from VFL level, but you’re playing against smarter defenders...When you lead into the wrong spot defenders are smart enough to just leave you. I took a lot of learnings from it but i felt pretty comfortable out there...

I had to work on repeat efforts, basketball courts are only 20 metres, when you’re running kilometres and then you have to make multiple efforts at the ball, that was something I found different." - Matt Owies, September 2020

No need to get so fiery Mathew I said I hope you prove me wrong lol

Training gallery ...

MicrosoftTeams-image-12-.png

MicrosoftTeams-image-8-.png

MicrosoftTeams-image-7-.png

2J1A1133.jpg

Stocker certainly looks a big strong player now, need to find a way to get him into the side. Good to see Philp out there, he's one I'm hoping will find a spot on a wing in the not so distant future. The midfield needs to go through a small rebuild to rectify the problem we have in this are with a lack of elite kicking skills. These two are a couple of players who have some quality who may help us achieve that.

Stocker certainly looks a big strong player now, need to find a way to get him into the side. Good to see Philp out there, he's one I'm hoping will find a spot on a wing in the not so distant future. The midfield needs to go through a small rebuild to rectify the problem we have in this are with a lack of elite kicking skills. These two are a couple of players who have some quality who may help us achieve that.
Not sure Philp has elite kicking skills. Some were saying he was one of the poorer kicks in the draft, even though he looked ok in last years practice matches. Certainly has the pace that will be valued in the current games style

Remove this Banner Ad

Back