2021 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks to all who have eyes on the ground and for providing the detailed updates and snaps.

Cannot express how eager I am for the season to start. Just four weeks to go and less than five before we're playing the Cats under lights in a Friday night blockbuster. If we can get the job done in my hometown I'll be one happy man that night.

Mike Whiting has put up thoughts on the intraclub on his patreon page - some key bits below but not all of what he had to say as you all should subscribe!

Also not included below, but Fish also wrote that he understands that our pre-season game will be switched to be against gold coast - which would mean we have back to back practice games v them.

The players that didn't line up were:

Daniel Rich (gastro)

Nakia Cockatoo (slight hamstring niggle, although he was running on Wednesday)

Noah Answerth (groin niggle and did a lot of running on Friday)

Darcy Gardiner (knee, and due back in round two or three)

Connor McFadyen (knee)

Cam Ellis-Yolmen (I didn't find out)

James Madden filled in for Rich at half-back, but don't read too much into that. It gave the young Irish flyer a chance to line up with better teammates, and although he is vastly improved, I still think he's a way off a debut.

Lester was composed in the backline, but the standout was Ah Chee. He played at half-back and occasionally pushed up to the wing. His ball use, decision-making and willingness to run was outstanding.

He was best on ground for mine.

Rayner and Bailey again excelled. If these two don't make a leap this season I'll be very surprised.

The teams stayed the same for the first half and then four or five players swapped for the second half. The guys I'd call fringe were swapped, just to see how they'd go with better teammates.

Ely Smith, Robertson and Joyce all switched, while Kiddy Coleman, Harry Sharp (who is further up the pecking order than I thought) were among those moving to the stronger team.

Of the fringe guys, I thought Ely Smith stood out. Him and Mathieson. Even when Smith moved teams, he put in for the entire four quarters, won clearances and even kicked a final term goal.

I thought Adams did a solid job on Daniher considering the extra supply, but Payne is a bit in front by the looks. Starcevich was his usual brick-wall in defence, while I didn't notice Birchall too much.

Neale and Zorko – like Robinson – played just a half before running laps to 'top up' after a quieter pre-season.

Berry was tireless and will be straight back into the best team based on what I saw.

The most exciting thing to come out of the pre season training and the intra clubs for me is the reported form and the positioning of Cam Rayner, he will be a huge positive difference maker to us if he can up his midfield time substantially. He has shown what he can do in brief cameos in the midfield, his contested game in close, burst from stoppages, taking ground with run and his excellent delivery into F50 on a more regular basis will be a huge weapon for us.

Cam Rayner 2021 will be the epitome of what a breakout season is.

Zac Bailey to also step up and be acknowledged by the AFL media and public as a class player in 2021 IMO.

Mike Whiting has put up thoughts on the intraclub on his patreon page - some key bits below but not all of what he had to say as you all should subscribe!

Also not included below, but Fish also wrote that he understands that our pre-season game will be switched to be against gold coast - which would mean we have back to back practice games v them.
Not saying he isnt right about a Hamstring niggle for Cockatoo.
But he was doing a lot of running before the game and even some sprints where he was getting up to a decent pace.
Didn’t have any Strength and Conditioning staff with him, was just running his own program.
So if he had a niggle, they aren’t too concerned.

The only thing stopping us from winning the premiership is our kicking. Hipwood hasn't proven to be an accurate kick in front of goal and daniher has had kicking issues since he debuted. If they fix that, then we will go all the way. If they don't, then expect another disappointing year.

Likely match ups...HarrisvDaniher payne v mcstsy...who on hippy?
According to
The only thing stopping us from winning the premiership is our kicking. Hipwood hasn't proven to be an accurate kick in front of goal and daniher has had kicking issues since he debuted. If they fix that, then we will go all the way. If they don't, then expect another disappointing year.
Don't disagree with the kicking, but also think our midfield suffered at the hands of Geelong. I know we beat Richmond in the Semi, but without Lynch, Lester and Harris were able to easily handle Riewoldt. No doubt we are up there and are a genuine chance as we have improved with Daniher, but Geelong arguably improve with Cameron and I think Port improves also. Can't wait for the season start. Carlton cannot win it but my improver for the top 8. I just think H.McKay is going to be a star.

According to

Don't disagree with the kicking, but also think our midfield suffered at the hands of Geelong. I know we beat Richmond in the Semi, but without Lynch, Lester and Harris were able to easily handle Riewoldt. No doubt we are up there and are a genuine chance as we have improved with Daniher, but Geelong arguably improve with Cameron and I think Port improves also. Can't wait for the season start. Carlton cannot win it but my improver for the top 8. I just think H.McKay is going to be a star.
I’m going to say Fremantle for my top 8 Smokey.

I’m going to say Fremantle for my top 8 Smokey.
Yes can absolutely see them improving. Provided no Covid Hubs, enjoy a big home ground advantage, just not sure they have the tall forward power McKay and Curnow (if fit) offer Carlton.

How many games did we lose last year because of our goal kicking?

I call it maybe one and that was the Richmond game.

How many games did we lose last year because of our goal kicking?

I call it maybe one and that was the Richmond game.

Probably Round 6 as well against the Cats in Sydney where we kicked 6.10 (46) to their 11.7 (73) making it two matches.

The thing is with our accuracy last season though that there were some games throughout the season where we should have won easily but because of poor accuracy we only just won such as the Melbourne match in R8 where we kicked 7.11 (53) to their 7.7 (49) and also the North Melbourne match in R12 where we kicked 7.11 (53) to their 8.4 (52) for example.

Last edited:
Probably Round 6 as well against the Cats in Sydney where we kicked 6.10 (46) to their 11.7 (73) making it two matches.

The thing is with our accuracy last season though that there were some games throughout the season where we should have won easily but because of poor accuracy we only just won such as the Melbourne match in R8 where we kicked 7.11 (53) to their 7.7 (49) and also the North Melbourne match in R12 where we kicked 7.11 (53) to their 8.4 (52) for example.

6.14 to St Kilda's 7.6 to narrowly hold on for a 2 point win also jumps out.

We won a lot of close games last year but most of them were close because we were inaccurate.

It's not a bad thing to admit flaws with a team. Each team have their flaws, and ours are inaccurate kicking. Let's just be thankful that this is something that can be fixed and let's hope that it does. I think it's the only thing holding us back from winning a premiership and I hope it gets fixed this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trying to pick the 22 for round 1

Back 7: H.Andrews, Gardiner, Rich, Birchall, Starcevich, Lester (7th ?)

Wing 3: Ah Chee, M.Robinson, Z.Bailey
Mid 5: O.Mcirney, Neale, J.Lyons, J.Berry, Mcluggage

Fwd 7: JoeD, Mcstay, Hipwood, C.Cameron, Zorko, Rayner, L.McCarthy
I mostly agree, but Gardiner won't be fit enough for round 1. Payne in his place.

I mostly agree, but Gardiner won't be fit enough for round 1. Payne in his place.
Payne just retains his spot really because Gardiner didn’t ply the last game.
Personally I think the back 7 against Geelong last year will play round 1.
Harris, Payne, Lester, Rich, Starc, Birchall and AhChee.

When r u going to get the message?
He is not fit to play.

Still? What the hell is wrong with him? How can a groin injury last that long?

Edit, I saw the report. Only Darcy has been ruled out for round 1, so answerth is still in it. He's easily in our best 22 when fit.

Edit, I saw the report. Only Darcy has been ruled out for round 1, so answerth is still in it. He's easily in our best 22 when fit.
He is coming back to fitness but will not be ready for AFL level football in Round 1.
Might be ready for the start of the VFL season.

Can't see how he's any better than any of the 7 named above, then you've got Gardiner as well

The most exciting thing to come out of the pre season training and the intra clubs for me is the reported form and the positioning of Cam Rayner, he will be a huge positive difference maker to us if he can up his midfield time substantially. He has shown what he can do in brief cameos in the midfield, his contested game in close, burst from stoppages, taking ground with run and his excellent delivery into F50 on a more regular basis will be a huge weapon for us.

Cam Rayner 2021 will be the epitome of what a breakout season is.

Zac Bailey to also step up and be acknowledged by the AFL media and public as a class player in 2021 IMO.
Rayner is exciting for sure because he has the vision and skill to be able to chip a kick or give a handball under pressure out of the middle, plus the x factor to take a mark or fend off and run in for a goal, hope he has a blinder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back