2021 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbo missing out is interesting. Looks like he has a real fight on his hands to keep his spot this year.
Not for the first time though and he has managed to keep his spot despite the preseason going against him.

I think that the issue potentially is that, if the rule changes do bring back ball movement, then "surge footy" is no longer the only way to gain territory.

Robbo missing out is interesting. Looks like he has a real fight on his hands to keep his spot this year.

Very telling. I figured he had just been very carefully managed this pre-season, while that might be the case to some degree not being named in our first hit out vs an actual AFL opponent indicates coaching group has different ideas for the wing role this year. Assuming Clugg and Bailey spend more of their time on ball Ely and Ah Chee first string wings?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just hope we don't get thumped n nobody watches lol.

Result doesn't matter. We want to see how the team looks with our new forward structure and any how the guys we haven't seen play at all from the reserves last year fit into the team.

Result doesn't matter. We want to see how the team looks with our new forward structure and any how the guys we haven't seen play at all from the reserves last year fit into the team.
I reckon if we’re playing 21 of our best 22 players, plus 4 key reserves, the result does matter, especially if we’re playing a team we really should be expected to beat.

With the exception of Gardiner, that’s pretty much our strongest team.

I reckon if we’re playing 21 of our best 22 players, plus 4 key reserves, the result does matter, especially if we’re playing a team we really should be expected to beat.

With the exception of Gardiner, that’s pretty much our strongest team.

I dunno. Neale and Zorko both won't play a full game and players will naturally play a little conservatively in the second half. If we dominate the first half but then rest a few and go at 50% and get outscored in the second half don't think too many people will be upset.

I'm very eager to see Ely Smith play and see if he has improved and is in line for a Round 1 debut. Would be awesome if he was this year's break out player e.g. Starcevich last year. With his tenacity at the man and contest I can see Ely playing a similar role/style to Robbo and bringing something similar to the team. It is a tough one though, I am torn between wanting to see some of the younger guys like Ely force their way in and cement a best 22 spot because that bodes well for our future and will give our team internal growth and improvement. I do, however, also want to see Robinson playing senior's and hopefully win a flag with us, he deserve's it.

I just asked Robbo on his twitch stream why he was playing in the ressies this weekend, he said he was coming back from a bit of a calf and they want him to get a full game in

edit : he didn't sound overly happy about it

Last edited:
I'm very eager to see Ely Smith play and see if he has improved and is in line for a Round 1 debut. Would be awesome if he was this year's break out player e.g. Starcevich last year. With his tenacity at the man and contest I can see Ely playing a similar role/style to Robbo and bringing something similar to the team. It is a tough one though, I am torn between wanting to see some of the younger guys like Ely force their way in and cement a best 22 spot because that bodes well for our future and will give our team internal growth and improvement. I do, however, also want to see Robinson playing senior's and hopefully win a flag with us, he deserve's it.

I just asked Robbo on his twitch stream why he was playing in the ressies this weekend, he said he was coming back from a bit of a calf and they want him to get a full game in

edit : he didn't sound overly happy about it

I think this could be the beginning of the end of Mitch Robinson for real being in our Best 22 in 2021 and into the future. He is 31 years old (32 in June) and to be honest with you, he might have 1-2 years of "SOLID" football remaining in him at a max given his style of play. Don't get me wrong, this guy has probably helped our on-field/off-field culture at the club so much to where we are now. But similar to Christensen in some regards, he's only getting older and to be completely honest, this bloke probably still thinks he is an automatic Best 22 player at the club, which isn't true in the coaches eye anymore now IMO. The other thing that proves this is the beginning of the end is if Robbo was coming back from a bit of a calf, Fages would have had said that in his media interview today with the club but he didn't, suggesting to me that it could be due to a slow start to pre-season and also due to the form of younger players (E.Smith/Robertson/Joyce) playing better footy than Robbo is currently now instead.

Regardless of whatever the issue is, unless he tears up this reserves practice match this weekend, I don't think he will be in our Best 22 as a result heading into Round 1 and I think personally the battle for the final midfield position now will be out of E.Smith or Mathieson looking at the 25 players who got selected this weekend as a result meaning I think Robbo will have to play himself into form in the reserves to be considered for the best 22 again. Will he be happy playing in the reserves at the start of the season?

As it sounds like it tonight, probably not. But this is the chance for someone like Robbo to be more of a player he is now and become a leader who can teach our younger players the ins and outs of football and what it takes to play in the AFL while also playing well in the reserves as well.

IMO, If he still able to perform at a decent level and get some matches in at the AFL level this year, I would give him a 1-2 year/s extension given his contribution for our club on and off the field. But I will say if he starts to complain about why he isn't picked anymore in the best 22 and all that and doesn't like he is improving in his football ability in the reserves, I would be considering him to request a trade to the Suns if he really wanted a permanent best 22 spot given he is OOC this year. But hopefully that isn't the case and has a very productive year at the club again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back