2021 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

We could of used Adams to play on Hawkins in PF
Be interesting what we do for the third tall after Andrews/Dizzy have Lester, Adams and Payne playing for the same spot.
Maybe we play horses for courses who knows.
It's also possible Dizzy becomes the third tall with Payne or Adams as the lockdown key defender. My understanding is that third tall was Dizzy's position before he shifted over to covering the second tall when Adams went down. Perhaps he's even better at third tall.

How many people normally turn out to watch the trainings / intra club hit outs out of interest?
When you know where they are there's usually quite a few people there, plus everyone else around for weekend sport or walking/cycling who stop to check it out. It doesn't seem like they will be having them at south pine sports complex this year

How many people normally turn out to watch the trainings / intra club hit outs out of interest?
If it is an unknown training session (not public knowledge) maybe 10.
But if it is public knowledge (advertised) there may be a couple of hundred.

Last year the Lions played an intra club at Moreton Bay Sports Complex on the 31/1/2020. So the Morningside game is in the same timeframe.
This upcoming intraclub will be getting close to the A v B teams. However they will probably try and not have it to one sided.

Maroon Monsoon: The crowd attendance at that game was about 200+ all on one side of the ground as can be seen in the below photo i took at that game.
If the club decides to advertise the game (they won't put much effort into it) then as Dlions mentioned more than usual will attend
Being more central at Morningside over a long Burpengary drive i expect more may attend if word gets out

Below image 31st January 2020 @ Moreton Bay Sports Complex

DSC_0154.JPG

Not a training report but the boys had forwards, midfield and defender group bonding/dinner yesterday.
Nakia Cockatoo was with the defenders!

Not a training report but the boys had forwards, midfield and defender group bonding/dinner yesterday.
It will be interesting to see where he lines up in the intraclub tomorrow avo.
He is one who could certainly give us some line breaking ability out of defence.

Yes a few of us thought he might start off in the backs and when/if fitness builds move possibly to the wing. Wonder if that has any influence on where Ah Chee might play as he did play a forward position at times for the Suns

Yes a few of us thought he might start off in the backs and when/if fitness builds move possibly to the wing. Wonder if that has any influence on where Ah Chee might play as he did play a forward position at times for the Suns
If Cockatoo proves a success down back it puts a lot of pressure on spots down there . We already have Payne coming through. I suppose Starcevich can play up the ground but personally I'd like to see him have another year in defence. He was just starting to get the hang of it last year and still has plenty of time on his side.

If Cockatoo proves a success down back it puts a lot of pressure on spots down there . We already have Payne coming through. I suppose Starcevich can play up the ground but personally I'd like to see him have another year in defence. He was just starting to get the hang of it last year and still has plenty of time on his side.
I reckon Birchall will more than likely be named at the start of the year but a back 7 of:-

Harris, Dizzy, (Payne, Lester Or Adams)
Rich, Starce, Cockatoo and AhChee
Is looking pretty s**t hot and a decent amount of speed. Something we have been lacking.

No way I would be naming Birch but it’s not up to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Cockatoo is being groomed for a spot in the backline I'd be going with >

Daniel Rich, Harris Andrews, Darcy Gardiner.
Nakia Cockatoo, Jack Payne, Brandon Starcevich.

7th defender on the bench- Callum Ah Chee.

Although IMO Fages and co will give Ryan Lester the 1st crack at it after a really good 2020 from him.

Although IMO Fages and co will give Ryan Lester the 1st crack at it after a really good 2020 from him.
My choice too.👍

Good mix of too. Payne, Dizzy, Starce and Andrews can lock down and free up the others but also intercept and distribute as required.

Long term I agree as well Cockatoo for Birchall and Payne for Lester. Or Starc/Ah Chee up the ground for Cockatoo.
Not sure we leave Birchall out to start with or Lester. Although who knows :)
Lester had a really good 2020.. I love what Payne shows although Lester had a great 2020 and held Jack well in that Tigers game.

Long term I agree as well Cockatoo for Birchall and Payne for Lester. Or Starc/Ah Chee up the ground for Cockatoo.
Not sure we leave Birchall out to start with or Lester. Although who knows :)
Lester had a really good 2020.. I love what Payne shows although Lester had a great 2020 and held Jack well in that Tigers game.

Cockatoo being groomed down back also partly explains why we moved Witho on.

There's always a plan there.

Nakia Cockatoo looks like he is performing well at training and looks to be in the frame for debut for us in R1 barring any injury.

Does anyone have paywall to copy & paste what the article actually says?

Nakia Cockatoo on track to debut for Brisbane Lions in Round 1Look away Cats fans. Nakia Cockatoo is yet to miss a pre-season session with Brisbane since last year’s trade and is expected to be in the frame for his first AFL game in 1077 days in Round 1. This is how the Lions are managing his training load.Toby Prime

@T_Prime2

2 min read
January 26, 2021 - 11:56AM
Geelong Advertiser

5 comments
Nakia Cockatoo during pre-season with Brisbane. Pics Tara Croser.

Former Geelong livewire
Nakia Cockatoo is on track to play his first AFL game in three years as he enjoys an uninterrupted pre-season with new club Brisbane.
The Lions expect the dynamic midfielder to be available for Round 1 — if he remains injury-free — against Sydney on March 20, in what would be his first game in 1077 days.
Brisbane football manager Danny Daly said Cockatoo, who last played an AFL game in Round 3, 2018, was yet to miss a session and had completed two shortened intraclub games.
Daly said there was “no reason why he shouldn’t be an enormous part of our team and hopefully our success this year”.
Nakia Cockatoo kicks a goal for Geelong. Picture: Julian Smith

“If he keeps motoring along the way he is and his body keeps fresh and recovers well, there’s no reason why he shouldn’t be right for Round 1,” Daly said.
“If he’s right for Round 1, he’ll be well and truly in the mix. I think we all know, and you guys down in Geelong know better than anyone, that he’s got some serious football ability and some serious football talent.
“(If) his body can stand up, which it is so far, there’s no reason why he shouldn’t be an enormous part of our team and hopefully our success this year.”
Cockatoo played just 34 games with Geelong in six seasons and is hoping last year’s trade to Brisbane can reignite his career, as it did with former teammate Lincoln McCarthy.
McCarthy played 29 games in seven years at GMHBA Stadium but has missed only two matches with the Lions (one through suspension) in two seasons.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

Get ready for the Supercars Season. Begins Feb 28 on Foxtel Find out more
Four-time Hawthorn premiership defender Grant Birchall is another whose career has been prolonged by Brisbane’s medical staff.
Recruit Joe Daniher also said last year its track record of getting injury-riddled players consistently on the field was a key factor in his move to Queensland.
Daly said it had tapped into Cockatoo’s raw ability by managing his training loads.
He said the former Cats fan favourite would not participate in all drills, such as skills sessions, to take some time off his legs.
Nakia Cockatoo will be hoping to reignite his career with Brisbane. Picture: Dan Peled

Nakia Cockatoo will be hoping to reignite his career with Brisbane. Picture: Dan Peled
“Although they’re important for our playing group, where he is in his preparation, he probably doesn’t need to do those at the minute, and just making sure he’s in the drills where he’s connecting with our playing group all the time,” he said.
“We pull him in and out of drills and we don’t overwork him. It’s important that even though he is going well, we don’t make him do everything, otherwise he could potentially break down.
“We’re just really smart about the way we train him and make sure he’s doing all the drills that he needs to in terms of harnessing his talent and being around the rest of our playing group.
“Whenever we’ve got drills that involve a game plan or connection inside forward 50, he’s been part of all those but there are some drills we pull him out … just so we’re not overworking him, given the amount of work he hasn’t been able to do in the past.”
Brisbane will meet Gold Coast as part of the revised pre-season fixture.
Daly said “all things being equal Nakia will play in that game”.
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?te...1/news-story/b9fcf7dc021eb55cbb8c67199fe6980c

Nakia Cockatoo on track to debut for Brisbane Lions in Round 1Look away Cats fans. Nakia Cockatoo is yet to miss a pre-season session with Brisbane since last year’s trade and is expected to be in the frame for his first AFL game in 1077 days in Round 1. This is how the Lions are managing his training load.Toby Prime
@T_Prime2

2 min read
January 26, 2021 - 11:56AM
Geelong Advertiser
5 comments
Former Geelong livewire
Nakia Cockatoo is on track to play his first AFL game in three years as he enjoys an uninterrupted pre-season with new club Brisbane.
The Lions expect the dynamic midfielder to be available for Round 1 — if he remains injury-free — against Sydney on March 20, in what would be his first game in 1077 days.
Brisbane football manager Danny Daly said Cockatoo, who last played an AFL game in Round 3, 2018, was yet to miss a session and had completed two shortened intraclub games.
Daly said there was “no reason why he shouldn’t be an enormous part of our team and hopefully our success this year”.

“If he keeps motoring along the way he is and his body keeps fresh and recovers well, there’s no reason why he shouldn’t be right for Round 1,” Daly said.
“If he’s right for Round 1, he’ll be well and truly in the mix. I think we all know, and you guys down in Geelong know better than anyone, that he’s got some serious football ability and some serious football talent.
“(If) his body can stand up, which it is so far, there’s no reason why he shouldn’t be an enormous part of our team and hopefully our success this year.”
Cockatoo played just 34 games with Geelong in six seasons and is hoping last year’s trade to Brisbane can reignite his career, as it did with former teammate Lincoln McCarthy.
McCarthy played 29 games in seven years at GMHBA Stadium but has missed only two matches with the Lions (one through suspension) in two seasons.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

Get ready for the Supercars Season. Begins Feb 28 on Foxtel Find out more
Four-time Hawthorn premiership defender Grant Birchall is another whose career has been prolonged by Brisbane’s medical staff.
Recruit Joe Daniher also said last year its track record of getting injury-riddled players consistently on the field was a key factor in his move to Queensland.
Daly said it had tapped into Cockatoo’s raw ability by managing his training loads.
He said the former Cats fan favourite would not participate in all drills, such as skills sessions, to take some time off his legs.

“Although they’re important for our playing group, where he is in his preparation, he probably doesn’t need to do those at the minute, and just making sure he’s in the drills where he’s connecting with our playing group all the time,” he said.
“We pull him in and out of drills and we don’t overwork him. It’s important that even though he is going well, we don’t make him do everything, otherwise he could potentially break down.
“We’re just really smart about the way we train him and make sure he’s doing all the drills that he needs to in terms of harnessing his talent and being around the rest of our playing group.
“Whenever we’ve got drills that involve a game plan or connection inside forward 50, he’s been part of all those but there are some drills we pull him out … just so we’re not overworking him, given the amount of work he hasn’t been able to do in the past.”
Brisbane will meet Gold Coast as part of the revised pre-season fixture.
Daly said “all things being equal Nakia will play in that game”.
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Nakia+Cockatoo:+Ex-Geelong+player+on+track+to+debut+for+Brisbane+Lions+in+Round+1&via=&url=https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/geelong/nakia-cockatoo-on-track-to-debut-for-brisbane-lions-in-round-1/news-story/b9fcf7dc021eb55cbb8c67199fe6980c

Thanks mate ;)

I reckon Birchall will more than likely be named at the start of the year but a back 7 of:-

Harris, Dizzy, (Payne, Lester Or Adams)
Rich, Starce, Cockatoo and AhChee
Is looking pretty sh*t hot and a decent amount of speed. Something we have been lacking.

No way I would be naming Birch but it’s not up to me.
Agree, almost. Birch will likely start ...i hope he does not, but suspect Fages will pick him, even though he spent more time off the field then any other back last year. I think some of the young guys with a few games can offer almost as much. How would Answerth feel if he misses out because Birch is given first shot again, and we know it is hard to be removed once in the team.
No way can I even consider Adams, his game in round 1 last year against Hawthorne was poor, has played a couple of good games in two years and his constant injuries rules him out as a trusted long term member of the back 7, if he can get himself right he is good backup.

Looks like Cockatoo will play HB assuming his body & form holds up
That position is going to be a hard one to keep with all the options we have.
Fagan's interview (interview thread) mentions HB position only when asked where he fits in.
Hopefully we may know more after this afternoon's intraclub at Hawthorne. Assuming reports are correct on location

I see Cockatoo more as a midfielder but they might start him at the back to ease him into it. Longer term if he stays in the side it would not surprise me for him to split midfield / wing time with Bailey. Bailey works well in the backline as well and those two could most easily move between the two positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back