2021 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

You realise that the indigenous population make up less than 1% of Victoria's population and only makes up 2.8% of our whole population, right? Criticizing collingwood for not drafting indigenous players when the talent pool is so small is belond silly. By that logic: why aren't we criticising the club for not drafting asian players when they make up 12% of our population. The fact is you draft the best talents and the reason why we have such a large indigenous intake in our system is because of their skill - not skin colour. End off/

You realise that the indigenous population make up less than 1% of Victoria's population and only makes up 2.8% of our whole population, right? Criticizing collingwood for not drafting indigenous players when the talent pool is so small is belond silly. By that logic: why aren't we criticising the club for not drafting asian players when they make up 12% of our population. The fact is you draft the best talents and the reason why we have such a large indigenous intake in our system is because of their skill - not skin colour. End off/

The indigenous talent might vary from state to state but you should compare them to other teams. Some probably have more in their current squad then Collingwood have had in their history.

Do you guys realise that indigenous population make up less than 1% of Victoria's population? And only makes up 2.8% of our whole population. Criticizing collingwood for not drafting indigenous players when the talent pool is so small is belond silly. By that logic: why aren't we criticising the club for not drafting asian players when they make up 12% of our population. The fact is you draft the best talents and the reason why we have such a large indigenous intake in our system is because of their skill - not skin colour. End off/
What is the percentage of Aboriginals playing AFL?

That would be the more pertinent figure.

I must have missed the discussion criticising Collingwood for not drafting Aboriginals.

I agree with the first part of your last sentence.

If this is a genuine criticism of Collingwood, then I’d say there’s possibly some evidence Collingwood had a white player policy at some stage.

What is the percentage of Aboriginals playing AFL?

That would be the more pertinent figure.

I must have missed the discussion criticising Collingwood for not drafting Aboriginals.

I agree with the first part of your last sentence.

If this is a genuine criticism of Collingwood, then I’d say there’s possibly some evidence Collingwood had a white player policy at some stage.

The percentage of indigenous players in the AFL is 10% - which means they are greatly represented considering their minor population. And i'm sure Collingwood do have their biases (which should be condemned), but this needs to be fixed at a grassroots level. And we also have to accept that while Australia is a largely white country, our multicultural communities may not be interested in this sport. Chol spoke about how Sudanese players prefer basketball, and we all know how the indian community prefers cricket. And Indigenous players are usually split between league and AFL. The AFL needs to get as many communities interested in our game, then maybe things will continue to change for the better.

The percentage of indigenous players in the AFL is 10% - which means they are greatly represented considering their minor population. And i'm sure Collingwood do have their biases (which should be condemned), but this needs to be fixed at a grassroots level. And we also have to accept that while Australia is a largely white country, our multicultural communities may not be interested in this sport. Chol spoke about how Sudanese players prefer basketball, and we all know how the indian community prefers cricket. And Indigenous players are usually split between league and AFL. The AFL needs to get as many communities interested in our game, then maybe things will continue to change for the better.
So the discussion and criticism of Collingwood not drafting aboriginals might actually be valid, if there is actual evidence of prejudice in this instance.

How is Zac Bailey tracking is he best 22?

I wonder how many Aboriginal kids we drafted in the last decade.

Cedric Cox was the first in my time following the Lions, and if we didn’t have priority access to the Coleman brothers, he may have been the only Aboriginal we have drafted to the men’s team in the last 5 years.

I wonder how many Aboriginal kids we drafted in the last decade.

Cedric Cox was the first in my time following the Lions, and if we didn’t have priority access to the Coleman brothers, he may have been the only Aboriginal we have drafted to the men’s team in the last 5 years.

We definitely went through a period of avoiding drafting and trading indigenous players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please don’t ask Melbourne why they chose Brighton Grammar boy Jack Watts over a kid from the wrong side of the tracks in Bassendean, WA in NicNat?

No one will like the answer, except NicNat himself and West Coast.

We definitely went through a period of avoiding drafting and trading indigenous players
I think saying the club “avoiding” trading / drafting indigenous lads for a period of time is manifestly incorrect as it implies that the club actively discriminated on some pre-conceived basis.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t know where you’re getting that from.

I think saying the club “avoiding” trading / drafting indigenous lads for a period of time is manifestly incorrect as it implies that the club actively discriminated on some pre-conceived basis.

Only from going about 10 without drafting or trading indigenous players without a footy background.

Yeah much more ridiculous than some of your assumptions about the club.

Only from going about 10 without drafting or trading indigenous players without a footy background.

Can't recall a gun we missed out on by selecting another draftee. Chill. Issues, not personalities.

I understand your initial post jackess, I don't quite get what you're implying above. Let's go back to your initial post, what period are you referring to?

No, will struggle to keep his spot this year with Cockatoo in. Heard he has a hot spot in his foot too.

Avoid for SC.
I think if Zac is fit he is in the best 22, hope hot spot not too bad. Probably know more if he is not playing in any intraclub games or does not play any practices matches against Suns. I am assuming the club will play one maybe two before playing GWS in Canberra.

I think if Zac is fit he is in the best 22, hope hot spot not too bad. Probably know more if he is not playing in any intraclub games or does not play any practices matches against Suns. I am assuming the club will play one maybe two before playing GWS in Canberra.
That wasn’t a serious post you are replying to. Definitely comes under the “fake news” umbrella.

The comment re Super Coach at the end should have been the give away.

I agree Mr Primus, we need more professionalism in this thread. I'm sick of these nobodies traipsing along to secret training sessions, and then freely providing a overview and personal analysis of what they saw.
I demand clipboards, checklists and quantitative data outlining how many times Rayner smiled after he shanked a kick etc.

I know this isn't part of the training reports theme, but I'm quite interested in the time frames of when specific ethnicities 'broke' into the league (other than just indigenous players, off the top of my head can only think of the irish and then a smallish wave of african players more recently. I would assume in the history of AFL there would be other examples of this). Also if they did have a distinct play-style or mechanics that was taken up by the other players? Its all so fascinating to me and I know nothing about it :p

There I go... completely off topic from my trash sarcasm..dangit

It was a very big runour during Voss's tenure. That after a handful of indigenous players didn't work out after the golden era (Proud, Harding etc) that the club decided to put indigenous recruiting in the 'too hard basket'.

Whether or not that's true, it did coinside with a 5-6 year period where we didn't draft or have any indigenous players on the list (bar Ash McGrath). This also carried on through Leppas tenure, bar - Bundy coming in from memory?.

Still not officially confirmed but CLEARLY Fagen/noble noted this (whether intentional or not) and have made it and absolute priority to recruit indigenous players and to make us leaders in indigenous engagement and inclusiveness- all part of a successful cultural rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back