2021 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this might sound dumb what I might say and the club would probably never listen to it given the risks of losing:

But if I was part of the coaching group, I would be very inclined to not play some of our "mature" players like Zorks, Neale, & Robinson for Round 1 against the Swans if they are still being managed (unlikely though), so that they can be 100% match fit against the much tougher Cats in Round 2 and to give some young players a chance to see how they would fare at the highest level.

Looking at our lineup without Zorko, Neale & Robinson atm, our Best 22 without those players (IMO) still looks quite damaging even without our 3 mature midfielders in it heading into Round 1 (depending injuries):

Round 1 vs. Sydney

B: Birchall / Andrews / Rich
HB: Starcevich / Gardiner / Cockatoo
C: McCluggage / Ellis-Yolman / Bailey
HF: Rayner / Hipwood / K.Coleman
F: Cameron / Daniher / McCarthy
FOL: McInerney / Lyons / J.Berry
INT: Ah Chee / McStay / Payne / Roberston

I know the club won't but I don't want Zorko, Neale & Robinson being rushed and then gets injured for a extended period of time as a result of not being fully fit for R1.

I would get those players being 110% ready for the match down against Geelong in R2 given how strong their midfield and squad is compared to the Swans at this given time IMO.
So you are suggesting we rest three of our most senior, critical and important players in round one, denying them match fitness and continuity and then sending them in against the Premiership favourite not having a game played. Right Oo_O:thumbsu:

So you are suggesting we rest three of our most senior, critical and important players in round one, denying them match fitness and continuity and then sending them in against the Premiership favourite not having a game played. Right Oo_O:thumbsu:

Well tbh I wouldn't class Robinson as Best 22 material now unfortunately so it would only be two players tbf.

I just worry about the longer quarters and longer season again being a problem for older players for the league and having more injuries as a result of this change.

Don't get me wrong, I think Zorko & Neale should play but I wouldn't want to risk it if you ain't match ready yet.

Besides, I'm probably worrying too much and they will fine when R1 comes around and have 50 disposals between them at least 🤣

You just need to have ready made depth when injuries do take a part at our club and tbh, we don't take for granted how blessed and amazing our high-performance & rehabilitation really have been are at our football club in recent years. Like we have had 0 to little injures at most for the past couple of years while other clubs have had injuries lists as high as the sky.

Last edited:

I just worry about the longer quarters and longer season again being a problem for older players for the league and having more injuries as a result of this change.
I don't understand this bit.

They're not longer quarters, and they're not longer seasons. They're back to being what these guys have dealt with every single year except last. Given every single year is basically a near start-again in terms of match fitness after the off-season break, there should be well-documented plans that have been honed over all these non-2020 years.

There's more likely to be an issue with younger players who's experience of seniors is solely or 50%+ of 2020. They're going to push too hard and potentially do themselves a disservice because they don't have seven or more years of understanding how to pace themselves to draw on.

If Zorko is still not right with his foot I can see him missing maybe pre season games or first round.
Same with Berry if should not up to it and another week or two will help.
Medically and the fact we can cover 1-2 of our best players.
No idea why you rest Neale and Robbo I assume they worked out the hours they need to do to be ready for round 1 and ramping up accordinally.
As said above younger kids probably need the run more then others. Or Daniher, Adams and Cockatoo who not played much footy

Do not start resting players for so called weaker teams.
Always some teams fly at the start of season. be arrogant to think the swans be easy.

I tell you what, those reversible training jumpers look absolutely grouse. Definitely getting one when they restock. Comes to $106 after member discounts and the $20 member voucher. Not bad for two jumpers in one.

Do not start resting players for so called weaker teams.
Always some teams fly at the start of season. be arrogant to think the swans be easy.
Agree there is no point at the start of the season, but I think we need to be smarter about rotation, resting and giving experience to young players through the middle and end of the year. We are very good at managing workloads and not getting injured so I have faith now. But I think we (and the whole AFL) could be smarter about the use of the whole list across a season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey does anyone happen to know if there is any training this afternoon and where? And if its frowned upon going to watch because of Covid.

You will miss it if it’s at Yeronga.

Well maybe have another person camp at Yeronga as well and then telephone the person who is at the wrong ground it is at the other one instead 🤣

Happy camping guys ;)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back