2021 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can you see Ah Chee or Starcevich pulling off the 45 degree pin point kicks Rich and Birchall do?

There’s long kicks, and then there’s precision kicks that open up a defence.

Yep. Gotta remember Rich took several years down back to find consistency.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In regards to Birchall and Rich it will be interesting to see how their kicking skills help with the new man on the mark rule. Their 45deg kicks in bound could really help to open up the corridor and attack through the middle. Hopefully the knock-on effect would be more scoring shots from better angles instead of closer to the boundary.

Full Wingspan

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Witherden was supposedly the best kick out of his draft. Seemed to start well in his career, but l think he either lost confidence or the heirarcy told him to just kick long as he didn't do anywhere near as many precision kicks later in his time with us. Still remember some of the elite kicks he made into our f50.

I always thought Witherden's kicking ability was always overstated. Yes, he was better than average and impressive for his age, but I recall his kicks lacking any real penetration and precision beyond 30m.

He will be a great player and have a terrific career at West Coast, but for what he was costing us and given the depth of players vying for his position, I supported the decision to move him on.

Club video/article on Joe Daniher for anyone interested in reading/listening.

Will play for the first time for the Lions against the Suns in the practice match, this Saturday.

Club video/article on Joe Daniher for anyone interested in reading/listening.

Will play for the first time for the Lions against the Suns in the practice match, this Saturday.

I loved his Rip Through It podcast and this again made made me think how he's far more well spoken and intelligent than I assumed. Yeah, a big name player for a big Melbourne club is gonna have a lot of media coaching but for a reclusive player that's supposedly disinterested in the media side of the game he's extremely adept at it. He's an absolute pleasure to listen to and seems like he's loving footy again or the first time in years. I cannot wait to see him up and going for us. If this weekend's practice match is not viewable for members I'm gonna be ******* pissed.

Soren Lorenson

Debutant
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sunderland
I loved his Rip Through It podcast and this again made made me think how he's far more well spoken and intelligent than I assumed. Yeah, a big name player for a big Melbourne club is gonna have a lot of media coaching but for a reclusive player that's supposedly disinterested in the media side of the game he's extremely adept at it. He's an absolute pleasure to listen to and seems like he's loving footy again or the first time in years. I cannot wait to see him up and going for us. If this weekend's practice match is not viewable for members I'm gonna be ******* pissed.
Your going to be pissed.

Your going to be pissed.

Definitively? Adelaide's upcoming is gonna be free to view to everyone, Bombers and Blues are making theirs available exclusively to their members, Ours nothing? Very disappointing if that is the case.

Definitively? Adelaide's upcoming is gonna be free to view to everyone, Bombers and Blues are making theirs available exclusively to their members, Ours nothing? Very disappointing if that is the case.

It's even worse by the club that they are streaming it online for everyone to watch.

Like one hand I understand why they ain't letting anyone in but on the other WTF are they not streaming it at all.

It's even worse by the club that they are streaming it online for everyone to watch.

Like one hand I understand why they ain't letting anyone in but on the other WTF are they not streaming it at all.

Cost or laziness. I'm bitching about it in another thread. The AFLW is an absolute cop out excuse and if they're gonna go with that they won't have any issue uploading the full match recording to youtube after the AFLW match has completed.

Gold Coast's AFLW team are playing on the Sunday and don't conflict.

Gold Coast are the home team for the practice match.

Why are people sooking at our club about the lack of a live stream?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast's AFLW team are playing on the Sunday and don't conflict.

Gold Coast are the home team for the practice match.

Why are people sooking at our club about the lack of a live stream?

Because there's absolutely nothing preventing the club making a stream or full footage of the game available. I didn't sook when I renewed my membership last year and I didn't sook renewing this year even with the same concerns I might be able to see few games live and not utilise any of the membership benefits generally available. I don't see how expecting something that is well and truly feasible, that other clubs are doing without issue for their members, is being a sook or acting entitled.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The upcoming Suns trial game is only a slight step up from the intraclub that was on at Zillmere last Friday 4pm.
Anyone could have attended and of course no live stream
If the game at Metricon was open to the public i would have gone down to watch. If it was live streamed i would have tuned in
A shame it is not but hopefully the club put together a reasonably good package of the game. If not that's life.
I just want us to get through these two games and the remainder of preseason without any injuries

I believe a few things will be trialed in this game along with giving some guys a chance to gain a spot in the 22. But nothing too drastic.
It is the next game that will give us an indication of who is best 22
Fagan will play very close to our best 22 in the only community game just like he has done the last 2 years.

Because there's absolutely nothing preventing the club making a stream or full footage of the game available.

There is, you're just choosing to ignore it. The club have said the AFLW clash means the AFL won't let them stream. To provide a replay we have to expend $$$s (in a tight off-field spending situation - after all we've already had to restructure coaches out and cut other off-field staffing) for a very limited number of watchers, as replays get substantially fewer watchers than a live stream.

Gold Coast don't have the AFLW clash, and it's their home game so less cost in setting up a stream. I'm very curious as to their reason for not providing one or if it's as simple as their supporters don't expect it.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sorry I like to see the full game.. Not some music over the top of 3 mins of highlights :) I just mute 2 seconds in.
Hard to get a feel when some of it is just 2 kicks and then cut to something else.
Melb supporters not been to a game or training etc for over a year as well.

There is, you're just choosing to ignore it.
That's horseshit. I'm choosing to not accept it.

To provide a replay we have to expend $$$s (in a tight off-field spending situation - after all we've already had to restructure coaches out and cut other off-field staffing) for a very limited number of watchers, as replays get substantially fewer watchers than a live stream.

If it's about money, say so. But let's not pretend streaming a game is some bank-breaking expenditure. Many of our members might have tight spending situations too. Though really, nothing is stopping the club from saying, "Hey Neds, how about you finance the stream for a match with your ads or heads attached to the stream?"

Gold Coast don't have the AFLW clash, and it's their home game so less cost in setting up a stream. I'm very curious as to their reason for not providing one or if it's as simple as their supporters don't expect it.

Both clubs are playing the game. I doubt there's extraordinary costs or broadcast restrictions for either party. If not, why not work together? And finally if it is just about restrictions imposed by the AFL that the club absolutely cannot circumvent, why not upload the whole game?

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Highlights from Match Simulation last friday it looks like for everyone to watch who still is salty over the lack of streaming this Saturday

Felt a bit sorry for Carter Michael there a couple of times. A difficult match up for him.

A few good passages by Bailey and Berry Sr. Joyce also made a couple of appearances late.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Felt a bit sorry for Carter Michael there a couple of times. A difficult match up for him.

A few good passages by Bailey and Berry Sr. Joyce also made a couple of appearances late.
be great for him to play on those players as well. Be a thrill I expect.

There is, you're just choosing to ignore it. The club have said the AFLW clash means the AFL won't let them stream. To provide a replay we have to expend $$$s (in a tight off-field spending situation - after all we've already had to restructure coaches out and cut other off-field staffing) for a very limited number of watchers, as replays get substantially fewer watchers than a live stream.

Not sure there's many $$$$ needed to upload a stream to youtube. The film will already exist (otherwise how would they get highlights), and they'll already have insisted on obtaining copies for review and coaching. They just can't be bothered uploading it to youtube later.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Not sure there's many $$$$ needed to upload a stream to youtube. The film will already exist (otherwise how would they get highlights), and they'll already have insisted on obtaining copies for review and coaching. They just can't be bothered uploading it to youtube later.
That's what I reckon too. Some of the footage of NEAFL games was pretty basic, but still very watchable, so the fact that the whole game won't be released when numerous other practice games of other clubs are being replayed is pretty poor. Whether the blame lies with Gold Coast, Brisbane or both, I don't know, but still not good enough in 2021.

That's what I reckon too. Some of the footage of NEAFL games was pretty basic, but still very watchable, so the fact that the whole game won't be released when numerous other practice games of other clubs are being replayed is pretty poor. Whether the blame lies with Gold Coast, Brisbane or both, I don't know, but still not good enough in 2021.
My beef, being from Brisbane, is more about why people can’t get in to view the game rather than the streaming or not streaming.
I can’t really understand why it can’t be open to the public.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back