M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
My beef, being from Brisbane, is more about why people can’t get in to view the game rather than the streaming or not streaming.
I can’t really understand why it can’t be open to the public.
Maybe the cost of putting it on is a factor ie. security staff, catering, ushers.

On another matter I wonder with the rollout of the vaccine we will be back to normal crowds, would love to get along to the Gabba with a +30,000 crowd against the Pies on Easter Friday eve.

Maybe the cost of putting it on is a factor ie. security staff, catering, ushers.

On another matter I wonder with the rollout of the vaccine we will be back to normal crowds, would love to get along to the Gabba with a +30,000 crowd against the Pies on Easter Friday eve.
Is the capacity in stadiums in Qld still at 75%?

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As far as the streaming goes it would very little in my view if they are already getting vision for themselves which undoubtedly they will be. In a season where expectations are high it could lead to a few more memberships. We need all the coverage we can get.

It's not killing me but I feel the club owes supporters an explanation because it doesn't appear too hard a thing to do at all. Unless we're now running training and practice like the Kremlin.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As far as the streaming goes it would very little in my view if they are already getting vision for themselves which undoubtedly they will be. In a season where expectations are high it could lead to a few more memberships. We need all the coverage we can get.

It's not killing me but I feel the club owes supporters an explanation because it doesn't appear too hard a thing to do at all. Unless we're now running training and practice like the Kremlin.
That's cost very little.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is the capacity in stadiums in Qld still at 75%?
I believe it is now 100% as far as the Qld Government is concerned.
However if you go to their site this is what is shown

Stadiums
Stadiums Queensland have worked in collaboration with the Chief Health Officer to develop site-specific COVID Safe Plans for individual stadiums.

Outdoor facilities
  • Up to 100% of seated venue capacity.

The latest NRL All Stars game at Townsville on Saturday had 20,206 or 80% capacity. Not sure if it was a sell out or not.
Suncorp State of Origin in Nov last year had 49,155 or 93% capacity
Also capacity shown on some of these venues is just not correct.
The Gabba is still down as 42,000. Actually they adjusted it to 41,974 on Austadiums site. I would say 38,974 would be closer to the mark.

There is, you're just choosing to ignore it. The club have said the AFLW clash means the AFL won't let them stream. To provide a replay we have to expend $$$s (in a tight off-field spending situation - after all we've already had to restructure coaches out and cut other off-field staffing) for a very limited number of watchers, as replays get substantially fewer watchers than a live stream.

Gold Coast don't have the AFLW clash, and it's their home game so less cost in setting up a stream. I'm very curious as to their reason for not providing one or if it's as simple as their supporters don't expect it.
The AFL don't let any clubs stream stuff during any games (mens, womens, preseason, ...) and probably not even during broadcasts of the draft and brownlow etc. So it wouldn't be an option for Gold Coast either. The lack of a replay is a kicker though :(

Last edited:
The AFL don't let any clubs stream stuff during any games (mens, womens, preseason, ...) and probably not even during broadcasts of the draft and brownlow etc. So it wouldn't be an option for Gold Coast either. The lack of a replay is a kicker though :(
Makes sense given what we've been told - the GWS/Swans practice match is being streamed but they're kicking off at 11 am, so will be finished by the first AFLW game at 3 pm.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah - if they can provide match highlights, I can't see why they wouldn't just give us the replay given they'll have the footage. 🤷‍♂️
Who knows what the club are thinking regarding footage.
It may be as simple as holding off footage so other clubs especially Sydney have less time to study the lions strategy for 2021
Lions setup could be very different from 2020 especially increased minutes of who runs through the midfield
Of course the only community game will be broadcast a bit later.
Sometimes it is still a game of inches. Any advantage clubs and players can get helps

Replay would be good, but the club films for training, not for broadcast so I'm sure they don't want to just put up an entire thing. Wouldn't be great angles either, nothing like a broadcast.

Sure maybe they could do it so doesn't clash, but I'd rather the club plan their preseason things in the time frames they want. To me, it isn't worth changing things so a couple of hundred people can watch a stream. They have that date and time for a reason, and changes to that has ripple effects to what they do before and after.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Replay would be good, but the club films for training, not for broadcast so I'm sure they don't want to just put up an entire thing. Wouldn't be great angles either, nothing like a broadcast.
Neither were a lot of the NEAFL broadcast on YouTube and that still didn't stop quite a good number of people from watching them either.

Makes sense given what we've been told - the GWS/Swans practice match is being streamed but they're kicking off at 11 am, so will be finished by the first AFLW game at 3 pm.
Yeah, we got caught on it a few years ago too iirc - AFL was doing two-preseason games over three weeks and we were playing an extra praccy but it couldn't be streamed because Adelaide were doing an official preseason at the time.

Neither were a lot of the NEAFL broadcast on YouTube and that still didn't stop quite a good number of people from watching them either.

It is different to have a state league game, with regular broadcast streams because that is the normal way they show the games, compared to an unofficial practice game between 2 clubs to help blow out some cobwebs. To make that comparison fair, we would need to be talking about a regular season game that would normally have coverage.

People always get a bit fidgety this time of year, the footy is close enough that you can begin to really start sensing it, and not getting that initial hit can hurt. Not long until proper fully covered pre season hit outs and happening.

Jul 15, 2003
Vegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We need a more durable Josh Drummond type, when fit and firing he was an extraordinarily great kick of the footy, the best I've seen, they're as rare as hens teeth though.
There is not a team in the comp that would not want a durable Josh Drummond.

Would have been one of the best HBFs of his generation had he been able to stay on the park.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It is different to have a state league game, with regular broadcast streams because that is the normal way they show the games, compared to an unofficial practice game between 2 clubs to help blow out some cobwebs. To make that comparison fair, we would need to be talking about a regular season game that would normally have coverage.

People always get a bit fidgety this time of year, the footy is close enough that you can begin to really start sensing it, and not getting that initial hit can hurt. Not long until proper fully covered pre season hit outs and happening.
True late Feb early March period is a bit of a tease, especially when expectations for the team are high.
In previous years the NRL has started two weeks before the AFL (this year is only one week, due to GF always occurring on the NSW Labor Day PH weekend)

Perhaps when the new EB is negotiated the AFL could look at only one Community series game per team (like this year) and start the season two or so weeks earlier, and keep the traditional GF day of last Sat in Sept: New draw could be previous year top 8 teams play each other twice in the H & A season, and top 8 teams play the previous years bottom 10 teams once. No doubt one or two of the stronger non top 8 teams receive an advantage only playing the stronger teams once and the weaker teams twice but still argue that is fairer then what currently occurs with the H & A fixture.

The above suggested change to the H & A fixture, might compromise the local derbies for example the Q Clash if Lions finish in top 8 the previous season and Suns don't. Also starting two or three weeks earlier probably encroaches upon the AFLW, so probably won't happen. However, a slightly longer season likely means more revenue for the AFL.

25 man squad being announced for the upcoming practice match against the Suns this Saturday.

Rest of the playing squad will play in a reserves match against the Suns as a curtain raiser as well.

Best 25 for upcoming match against the Suns:

3Joe Daniher
4Callum Ah Chee
6Hugh McCluggage
7Jarrod Berry
8Ely Smith
9Lachie Neale
10Dan Rich
11Linc McCarthy
14Grant Birchall
15Dayne Zorko
16Cam Rayner
17Jarryd Lyons
18Keidean Coleman
21Tom Fullarton
23Charlie Cameron
25Dan McStay
30Eric Hipwood
31Harris Andrews
33Zac Bailey
35Ryan Lester
36Rhys Mathieson
37Brandon Starcevich
40Jack Payne
42James Madden
46Oscar Mcinerney

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.

25 man squad being announced for the upcoming practice match against the Suns this Saturday.

Rest of the playing squad will play in a reserves match against the Suns as a curtain raiser as well.

Best 25 for upcoming match against the Suns:

3Joe Daniher
4Callum Ah Chee
6Hugh McCluggage
7Jarrod Berry
8Ely Smith
9Lachie Neale
10Dan Rich
11Linc McCarthy
14Grant Birchall
15Dayne Zorko
16Cam Rayner
17Jarryd Lyons
18Keidean Coleman
21Tom Fullarton
23Charlie Cameron
25Dan McStay
30Eric Hipwood
31Harris Andrews
33Zac Bailey
35Ryan Lester
36Rhys Mathieson
37Brandon Starcevich
40Jack Payne
42James Madden
46Oscar Mcinerney
Confirms what we have been hearing re training and intra club games... players reported to be going well have got a gig eg. Mathieson. Madden, E.Smith. Only one I can not recall being mentioned too much pre season is Tom Fullarton, all the rest are expected best 22 anyway.

Matho and E.Smith may be fighting for the same spot, I wonder if Matho has improved his endurance enough to play time on the wing as well. A question for anyone who has been to the intra clubs, has Matho been playing exclusively as an inside mid or been playing other roles too.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Confirms what we have been hearing re training and intra club games... players reported to be going well have got a gig eg. Mathieson. Madden, E.Smith. Only one I can not recall being mentioned too much pre season is Tom Fullarton, all the rest are expected best 22 anyway.

Matho and E.Smith may be fighting for the same spot, I wonder if Matho has improved his endurance enough to play time on the wing as well. A question for anyone who has been to the intra clubs, has Matho been playing exclusively as an inside mid or been playing other roles too.

My concern with Matho on the wing would be ball use. Robbo is pretty poor at that but offers excellent pressure to go with the running and positioning.

To me this says more that Zac Bailey is probably the preferred winger opposit Hugh and the fight is for the rotational spot.

Back